Guardian vs Revenant?

lordbachus.6091

I want to cut back to 3 characters..

I allready made my choice for light and medium armor(ele and engi)

They are most fun for me..

I am having a hard time to decide on a heavy armor class

Guardian and Revenant are both fun so far.

I am playing all game modes, altough mostly open world right now.

I am most interested in a build that easilly switches from ranged to mellee and has some support,

cc and defence on top of good dps that works acceptable to good in most game modes.

Which one of these 2 classes is most fun for open world in your book?

And why?

And which one offers most diversity for the other game modes.?

Gaurdian overall is better than rev.

Focusing on PvE, both have strong power and condi builds. The differences:

Guardian has better burst damage. The DH meta build using great sword does the highest burst damage in open world PvE. Same also if in group PvE.

Both have good CC in PvE. I would give an edge to rev though.

Ranged options surely are in favor of guardian. I think long how for guardian and hammer for rev are equally effective, but neither of the is ideal. Guardian Scepter in PvE is great in group setting allowing you to stay in ranged when fighting world bosses and such, while maintaining extremely high damage. You could say rev short bow can be okayish in such setting, but it is not very effective in open world PvE.

Sustainability is highly in favor of guardian.

For support, both have dedicated support builds used in group setting. In open world guardian is better. Rev can provide might, fury, reg and swiftness. These boon though are highly accessible among all classes. Guardian provides quickness and aegis, which are far more unique boons.

I think the real kicker is that guardian has much better build diversity. There are many possibilities between builds, gear setup and weapons. Rev has issues primarily in build diversity.

Guardian is easier and useful in more situations.

Revenant is "good" and more "fun" imo.

Guardian for the the majority of stuff, Revenant if you want some fancy fun every now and then.

To keep it short: -> Guardian. You can place your revenant in PvP lobby if you wanna have some PvP fun every now and then.

I would go for guardian.

...mainly because of skill versatility. Revenant class design is very limited. Personally I got bored of it after half a year.

In terms of utility both classes can be played as burst, dps, utility support and pure healer, but guardian is probably the most flexible class in the game. It has sustain via blocks, it has mobility via leaps and teleports, it has AOE effects, it can fill every role in a group and in solo content.

I would go for Guardian simply because Revenant is a rather unique profession given you don't choose your utility or elite skills, so it's a bit trickier to customize your build for specific content.

Weapon preference might also be a mitigating factor, as Guardians can't dual wield swords and their staff is a caster weapon while Revenants can't use Greatswords and their staff is melee (if that).

I've been having somewhat of this same debate. Having played since launch as a guardian, I always enjoyed it, but really got frustrated at the reliance on one weapon (greatsword) which I thought frankly looked ridiculous. When I came back to the game after several years, I decided to try out Revenant, and had lots of fun. The utility limitations and weapon limitations are a real factor, however, you have both a weapon swap and a utility swap while in combat, giving you access to more overall skills (including 2 healing skills and elite skills) than the guardian (outside of firebrand, which is its whole own conversation of mixed feelings for me). Aegis is nice, and the guardian generally has far superior options for dealing with conditions. But the Rev has been leaving me feeling more satisfied progressing through PvE lately, to the point I am transferring many of my ascended items from my Guard to my Rev. I still need to finish unlocking my elite specs for my Rev but it's felt a lot less cumbersome and much more immersive than spinning in circles with a greatsword or flinging slower-than-molasses globs at enemies which are the only effective methods of killing the guardian seems to have. Can't say this will last, as I've only been playing my Rev for about a month. For now though, I am preferring the Rev.

(sorry for necroing this thread)

I can only speak about rev in comparison to all other professions except guardian.

Revenant is really amazingly fun in PvP, Roaming and Zergs, but except for that it really falls off for me. Unless you play condirevenant your damage in fractals/raids is somewhat lame, and as condi you really cant pvp/WvW with any decent results. So its strong alright, but its so situational.

> @"Talyx.2346" said:

> I've been having somewhat of this same debate. Having played since launch as a guardian, I always enjoyed it, but really got frustrated at the reliance on one weapon (greatsword) which I thought frankly looked ridiculous. When I came back to the game after several years, I decided to try out Revenant, and had lots of fun. The utility limitations and weapon limitations are a real factor, however, you have both a weapon swap and a utility swap while in combat, giving you access to more overall skills (including 2 healing skills and elite skills) than the guardian (outside of firebrand, which is its whole own conversation of mixed feelings for me). Aegis is nice, and the guardian generally has far superior options for dealing with conditions. But the Rev has been leaving me feeling more satisfied progressing through PvE lately, to the point I am transferring many of my ascended items from my Guard to my Rev. I still need to finish unlocking my elite specs for my Rev but it's felt a lot less cumbersome and much more immersive than spinning in circles with a greatsword or flinging slower-than-molasses globs at enemies which are the only effective methods of killing the guardian seems to have. Can't say this will last, as I've only been playing my Rev for about a month. For now though, I am preferring the Rev.

I happen to love GS on my Guardian, but yeah if you don't like the feel of it, Core and DH Guardian don't have many other options, other than Sword/Focus, but that's for casual open funsy type play.

Assuming you don't want support, Condi Firebrand can be loads of fun with a huge toolkit, once you get used to the Tomes system.

I love my Power Herald but I may consider trying out Renegade one of these days. It's just a pain to have to re-gear him with Viper or whatever.

1) In Open World WvW both classes are desirable, where Rev's Hammer is great for backbone dps while Minstrel Firebrand is the frontliner/ support role.

2) In Raid, both condi dps are almost the same (you can check that on snowcrow). Guards are more favorable due to its higher burst damage which are required in many raid's mechanics.

3) In PvP, Rev is predictable and less build diversity, while Guard can excel in its role either in bunkering, supporting or dps'ing.

4) In PvE, doesn't really matter what you play, just go enjoy the environment in the game.

5) Rev Renegade gets more conditions dps to play with; Guard's main condi dps comes from Burn only.

I enjoy both equally as both provide unique playstyle.

I have been a Guardian since day one and I have to agree with most of the points here about how diverse the profession could be. Thematically, I find how Revenant was designed, and how its mechanics has you swinging back from one Legend to another very interesting. I think this allows you to heavily focus on a certain role or try to have a more balanced play style -- I do hope no one shoots me in the head for sounding hybrid right now, I don't think "hybrid" is very popular when it comes to what's Meta. But yes it's both unique and limiting at the same time knowing that your utility skills are tied to the Legend you are using -- no adjustment can't be done to that BUT effectively though you get to two sets of utility skills to play around within your rotation. I haven't been able to able to check out the specializations of Revenant -- to be perfectly honest I've only gotten up to level 40+ only. Not for the lack of interest but more of I just literally stopped playing for a couple of years. So far Guardian is my only maxed heavy armor class but hopefully I get around to playing the Revenant -- just by mere theme alone, I would pick it over the Warrior any day. Just talking about the theme.

If you want to play every game mode there's no doubt: Guardian is better.

Guardian has more build variety and and you can play core Guardian, Dragon Hunter and Firebrand at almost every game mode while being viable. Meanwhile both core Revenant and Renegade are useless at high level PvP and roaming, while neither core Revenant or Herald are wellcomed at PvE raids. You have a single raid build (Renegade) and a single PvP/roaming build (Herald, which remains the same as 3 years ago, but more dull and straightforward). The class also has a lot of unfixed bugs, and when they patch a skill from a legend and is bugged remains broken for weeks, and you don't have a way to replace a useless skill because they are attached to their own legend.

> @"alchemist.6851" said:

> why not both? they give you entirely different action experiences

If you have time to really learn the ropes and not just shock your system with a Level 80 Booster, then I would I have to agree with this one. The collective experience of other players will just really get you up to a certain point as a simple guide on what to expect. It's really up to personal experience and enjoyment where you lock to a particular profession.