Birthday Presents: Dyes

I just have the case that's one of my toon is reaching 5th Birtday. So I was like "Yeah! Dye!", until I realized that I have all dyes of that package already. Since they are account bound, I can't do anything whatever one I take, apart from destroying. So for me the outcome is that I get nothing... Of course, I am disappointed. :(

I would therefore suggest that if we already have all dyes of the Birthday present selection, we should get a replacement dye that is one we do not already have. What do you think?

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> I just have the case that's one of my toon is reaching 5th Birtday. So I was like "Yeah! Dye!", until I realized that I have all dyes of that package already. Since they are account bound, I can't do anything whatever one I take, apart from destroying. So for me the outcome is that I get nothing... Of course, I am disappointed. :(

>

> I would therefore suggest that if we already have all dyes of the Birthday present selection, we should get a replacement dye that is one we do not already have. What do you think?

I can't imagine ANet doing this.

Mind you, it would be good for me, because I like spending a little coin on dyes, instead of waiting for freebies. So I end up maxing out the birthday dyes early & often. But what would the replacement be that would be (a) fair for those who didn't bother hoarding these gifts and (b) fair for those who don't have 50+ characters or haven't spent gold? Sure, there are plenty of specific solutions, none of them cheap or easy to implement.

In the end, it's simply easier for ANet to let people wait for future birthdays to get new colors. And let them choose dyes that they can forge or salvage for the chance of something they can sell.

> @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> Maybe stop buying _all_ the dyes when you know that you're gonna get them in the b-day gift?

>

> ...though I admit that I'm jealous that you have this issue! O_O

Yeah, could have worked, but that's too late now. I am playing this game since long time. Many dyes simply came over time, combined with the fact that since beginning it has been an objective to have them all so I worked it out over years. By now I miss 23 only, and of course, it does not let me much chance to get one as drop, even from Birthday presents. :3

Though, I believe that would be fair to have an alternative in case we already have all dyes of a given package. The idea of an unidentified dye from Danikat is good.

> @"Underdark.3726" said:

> can't you salvage the dye and sell the pigment if you don't use it?

They can.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> What if they made one of the options an unidentified dye? Of course it's not going to be worth as much as one of the gem store exclusive dyes, but it would be something you could sell or gift to a friend/second account instead of deleting.

Given how many toons get birthdays now, that would represent a significant new faucet for unID dyes, which are already trading below 15s each. Without ANet doing any work, you can choose a rare, brown dye from your birthday gift and get 10-12 pouches of brown pigment, worth ~10-12s. (Can probably get more from a grey color, but it's RNG due to getting black pouches -- worth 2.8s -- _or_ white ones -- worth only 0.8s.) On the face of it, a creative solution. In practice, we already have an option that has about the same financial value.

Again, I'm not against receiving more stuff from the game without doing any extra work myself. But I don't see an easy solution to this that doesn't have unintended consequences that undermine that OP's goal.

> Yeah, could have worked, but that's too late now. I am playing this game since long time. Many dyes simply came over time, combined with the fact that since beginning it has been an objective to have them all so I worked it out over years. By now I miss 23 only, and of course, it does not let me much chance to get one as drop, even from Birthday presents. :3

If you're lucky enough to already have so many dyes I don't think there's anything to complain about here. Sure it would be nice for them to give you another, but this is like a millionaire getting a $20 bill and saying "Oh I already have so many of these..."

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Underdark.3726" said:

> > can't you salvage the dye and sell the pigment if you don't use it?

> They can.

>

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > What if they made one of the options an unidentified dye? Of course it's not going to be worth as much as one of the gem store exclusive dyes, but it would be something you could sell or gift to a friend/second account instead of deleting.

>

> Given how many toons get birthdays now, that would represent a significant new faucet for unID dyes, which are already trading below 15s each. Without ANet doing any work, you can choose a rare, brown dye from your birthday gift and get 10-12 pouches of brown pigment, worth ~10-12s. (Can probably get more from a grey color, but it's RNG due to getting black pouches -- worth 2.8s -- _or_ white ones -- worth only 0.8s.) On the face of it, a creative solution. In practice, we already have an option that has about the same financial value.

>

> Again, I'm not against receiving more stuff from the game without doing any extra work myself. But I don't see an easy solution to this that doesn't have unintended consequences that undermine that OP's goal.

>

I'm not convinced it would make that much difference. Remember this is a 'compensation' prize for people who already have all the specific dyes - it's very unlikely anyone would choose it before then because almost all the available colours are worth more.

But I also didn't realise the existing dyes can be salvaged for pigment. I agree that also works as an alternative.