Does alt considered as smurfing or griefing? Will it become a problem?

SkyShroud.2865

There's a distinction between griefing accounts and legitimage alts acquired through whatever method and played for pleasure, except, not everyone sees it that way. As if it weren't bad enough that all alts have been systematically labeled spies regardless of where or how they are played, now we're tacking on some made up new age word and questioning what effect these accounts will have on a system that isn't even out yet.

The alt hate is real, and this just seems like a series of excuses to further propel the hate rather than dealing with the actual offenders and problems.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> Well, define an ‘Alt’.

>

> Most aren’t linked to primary accounts making it effectively a moot point for Anet from an enforcement standpoint.

This is currently incorrect. Anet is now linking accounts by users IP addresses & those indirectly linked to credit card info (from gemstore purchases). So if you're found to be exploiting etc they can ban all the alt accounts as well as the personal main accounts. Unless of course they never registered the alt account under the same name, never used the same card to buy the game or gemstore purchases and never used the same IP address to access the account. I've seen 1000s of alt accounts in wvw over the years being used to pull tracts, waste supply, seige cap, tag watch/spy, troll etc. It's not that anet cant ban all those peoples accounts. They log all the necessary info and have done for years to help link all those peoples alt accounts to their main one/s. It's more like in most cases they won't, not that they cant.

Aw. Selective PG.

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> I've been ganged up on and tombstoned by high ranking players more often on my bronze alt than I ever have been on my main Plat account. Ask me these questions and it comes across as not a problem of who might be on the other side of the lowbies monitor, but a problem of why this lowbie is being attacked in the first place and why banning fake lowbies would be good for real lowbies.

That's the inherent problem with the game designs.

What I am saying isn't related to the problem at that level but a problem of different level. There are problems everywhere in WvW, even with the new alliance system.

The problem you speak of and the problem I am trying to describe which isn't easy to describe since it comprised of a few contexts do have some similarity but it isn't of the same level. The problem you speak of is something I am aware but honestly I don't think is possible to be resolved or even minimized due to how the WvW is designed to be, a fraction based game mode.

> @"clone wars.9568" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > Well, define an ‘Alt’.

> >

> > Most aren’t linked to primary accounts making it effectively a moot point for Anet from an enforcement standpoint.

>

> This is currently incorrect. Anet is now linking accounts by users IP addresses & those indirectly linked to credit card info (from gemstore purchases). So if you're found to be exploiting etc they can ban all the alt accounts as well as the personal main accounts. Unless of course they never registered the alt account under the same name, never used the same card to buy the game or gemstore purchases and never used the same IP address to access the account. I've seen 1000s of alt accounts in wvw over the years being used to pull tracts, waste supply, seige cap, tag watch/spy, troll etc. It's not that anet cant ban all those peoples accounts. They log all the necessary info and have done for years to help link all those peoples alt accounts to their main one/s. It's more like in most cases they won't, not that they cant.

So, colleges with IP addresses that may be similar get linked? Also, what is to stop new IP addresses for each account.

Credit card? Some people puchase at the actual store, with alts likely coming online.

I truly think relying on the accounts being linked will not fix any perceived problem.

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > Rank =/= skill.

> >

> > A lot of people who mainly play sPvP are low-ranked in WvW. I am around rank 200 for example.

>

> sPvP=\=skilled either for that matter.

> Not hard to be top ten out of 12

Not necessarily. Although sPvP =/= skill, there's a higher density of fights when quing in sPvP as opposed to WvW. That means people who strictly sPvP will have more combat experience than those who only play WvW.

There's a couple of issues with the fight system in wvw, least amongst them a little side quandry that many players have yet to experience. Once you reach a certain rank, people avoid you like the plague (unless they moderately or severely outnumber you). In that respect I can understand high ranking (but not necessarily high skilled) players seeking to broaden the types of fights they can get by creating a newb account. It's deceptive sure, but, I don't think it qualifies as intentiinally evil behavior unless it actually is used strictly for evil, but how do you differentiate between boredom and cowardice?

I have three accounts. I play all of them every day. Two of them are on the same server and the third hapens, by coincidence, tobe linked withthat server right now. I don't have a "main" account or a "main" character. I just have accounts and characters. I play all three accounts every day and miost days I play ten or more characters, in PvE and WvW. If I'm in WvW and there's a map call I go to it on whatever account and character i happen to be playing. It's al the one game as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty much need alt accounts now with the broken state of the mode. In pve they actually ask you to switch maps so they can rebalance the population. You also get a reward buff for balancing. Can't give wvw a balancing system tho no no gotta fight the stacked hordes all day with 10 other unlucky souls. Naa ill just make a free account and get back into the fights..

I don't ever bother checking a person's rank before avoiding them or engaging. I'm more likely to avoid a really low ranked toon than a high ranked one as it's either a noob (not much fun to fight) or it's a smurf trying to pull you into a fight you can't win.

Have no issue with multiple account players as I play on several myself depending on how I'm feeling as to which to log into.

Only difference between my toon and my main's is ~21% less damage and is missing a Hunter pet. If anything playing on an alt is beneficial to the other servers.

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"Widmo.3186" said:

> >

> > You’ve got me wrong, by saying „play against the server you are atm on” i meant griefing. For example in MU theres Server 1 and Server 2. Your main is on S1 but you log to alt char on S2 and spend supps, pull tactivators, fake scout reports, troll tags, build useless sieges etc.

>

> Ah I see! People should be banned for that.

=]

I have my main account on FC (Currently linked with Kaineng) and a alt account on HoD... When I find the matches of my main account boring, I play on my alt account in hopes of getting a better gaming experience (sometimes in vain as both matchups can be extremely boring).

Going by your logic, I'm technically a griefer for having paid for a second account to play on a different enviroment?

Yes. Alt accounts inherently grief the game, it doesn't mean the players want to but their very own existence contribute more or less to the win and loss of the fraction therefore putting the fraction at ranks where it shouldn't belong. By putting the fraction to a rank one don't belong to also means the players that don't play any forms of alt but just main have to deal with the difficulties or boredom, in other words griefing these players.

Alt has been historically frowned upon, not only because of players who actively grief others but also because of its noncompetitive nature.

It would help to determine the extend of the impact alts have towards win and loss of a fraction but unfortunately such statistic data of alts across servers is not available to the public.

Therefore this discussion is in the forms of philosophy or theory.

I purchased mine for extra storage, then Anet went and gave us extra storage...it's not my fault they then went and implemented ftp accounts, tactivators (that can be pulled by anyone btw) and lowered the achievement requirements but failed to add any new achievements or other goodies for another 2 years.

I did my part during the tactivator scandal and moved all my accounts to the same server even though it's bored me to tears at some points, but its helped me focus on other issues like who's working with who on the servers we're matched against . I hardly ever see solo lowbies, but when I do I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they hardly ever take it engaging first, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose and SOMETIMES I know for a fact I'm being tracked by my own teammates, but they don't call that smurfing, they call it paranoria.