Top Posters In This Topic

> @"yann.1946" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > anything ascended takes tons of time to get (except things from laurels) and it's always stuck behind the horrid frikin crafting, as long as the crafting system isn't anywhere close to fun i will never enjoy crafting one bit and never get it to 450 let alone 500.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Crafting in GW2 is very punishing, I agree completely. BUT, the silver lining is that all end game gear is acquired either through crafting or exchanging currency to NPC vendors, which is a far better experience than killing bosses on a daily/weekly basis and HOPE that the item you want drops, and then HOPE that you are the one to receive it. The lack of RNG in GW2 is very refreshing.

> > > > >

> > > > > you and me have a completely different view on RNG with GW2, this game has the worst kind of RNG. (ppl playing for about 6 years and no precursor drop while ppl who play for about 6 months getting 2 in one month)

> > > > > also, that silver lining isn't anything positive, i rather kill a boss several time then grafting months on end and still getting nowhere close to something useful.

> > > > There is only one kind of RNG. The worst one. Anything that depends on RNG will be always awful.

> > > > So I concurr with Turkeyspit: I'll choose a boring crafting over an abysmal RNG, any time.

> > >

> > > While I agree with turkey. I"ll have to disagree with you in the sense that their can be good rng. A lot of games would be boring without it.

> > >

> > >

> > RNG is fine as long as it's an alternative path, and not the sole path to getting what you want.

> >

> > For instance, ascended armor and weapons are available as RNG drops from world bosses, fractals, even gaining a level in WvW. It's great when that happens, as it's a huge savings on materials, but it would be awful if it was the only method of attaining ascended gear.

> >

>

> Would you consider the acquisition of materials bad In gw2 because you can only acquire them via rng? I know you can buy them but this is just a toughtexperiment

Firstly my objection is about important (ie non-cosmetic) items being only available through RNG, and as you point out, you can buy mats on the TP, so they don't qualify.

But secondly, how exactly do you classify the acquisition of materials in GW2 being RNG? Aside from specific materials that are rare "drops" from gathering nodes, like Freshwater Pearls (which I believe is an issue), every crafting material I can think of can be acquired through multiple means (aside from the TP), and are not reliant on RNG.

Without you supplying examples I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but I'll just throw one out: Vial of Powerful Blood. This T6 mat is very important for people playing power builds, etc, but there are multiple paths to obtaining them.

1. RNG. Can drop from multiple mobs, bags, or part of material shipments from Istan

2. Can be farmed on maps where it's part of the Map Bonus Reward for that week.

3. Can be upconverted from Vial of Potent Blood

You want a great example of bad RNG? I was looking at some weapon skins and I noticed one that I really liked for Axe : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Corrupted_Skeggox

The recipe to make it is pretty simple:

1. 20 Corrupted Lodestones

2. Etched Skeggox (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Etched_Skeggox)

So how to get an Etched Skeggox? Well like all Etched weapons

>Acquisition

>Random drop from foes and chests throughout the Shiverpeak Mountains region

So I have to wander the Shiverpeaks killing everything until it drops, or I can dump rare axes into the magic toilet until it pops? Oh goody.

(Or alternatively, I can always go down the path of crafting Frostfang which unlocks the same skin (the perfected axe), but really if I'm going for Frostfang, what do I care about this skin?)

pressing tab and targeting mobs most far away. even in combat. and also mobs that normally don’t aggro (yellow)

no skipable story trash talk. that’s why i don’t care about all story’s.

frogs at tarir that knock you to the ground and dodge spam don’t help. and keep getting damaged. and then you get an orange line under you from other mob so you lay in a damage line.

ability delay. even with fiber connection and good pc. mostly in pvp. and heal skills that don’t activate when press the right button for it.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > > > anything ascended takes tons of time to get (except things from laurels) and it's always stuck behind the horrid frikin crafting, as long as the crafting system isn't anywhere close to fun i will never enjoy crafting one bit and never get it to 450 let alone 500.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Crafting in GW2 is very punishing, I agree completely. BUT, the silver lining is that all end game gear is acquired either through crafting or exchanging currency to NPC vendors, which is a far better experience than killing bosses on a daily/weekly basis and HOPE that the item you want drops, and then HOPE that you are the one to receive it. The lack of RNG in GW2 is very refreshing.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > you and me have a completely different view on RNG with GW2, this game has the worst kind of RNG. (ppl playing for about 6 years and no precursor drop while ppl who play for about 6 months getting 2 in one month)

> > > > > > also, that silver lining isn't anything positive, i rather kill a boss several time then grafting months on end and still getting nowhere close to something useful.

> > > > > There is only one kind of RNG. The worst one. Anything that depends on RNG will be always awful.

> > > > > So I concurr with Turkeyspit: I'll choose a boring crafting over an abysmal RNG, any time.

> > > >

> > > > While I agree with turkey. I"ll have to disagree with you in the sense that their can be good rng. A lot of games would be boring without it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > RNG is fine as long as it's an alternative path, and not the sole path to getting what you want.

> > >

> > > For instance, ascended armor and weapons are available as RNG drops from world bosses, fractals, even gaining a level in WvW. It's great when that happens, as it's a huge savings on materials, but it would be awful if it was the only method of attaining ascended gear.

> > >

> >

> > Would you consider the acquisition of materials bad In gw2 because you can only acquire them via rng? I know you can buy them but this is just a toughtexperiment

>

> Firstly my objection is about important (ie non-cosmetic) items being only available through RNG, and as you point out, you can buy mats on the TP, so they don't qualify.

>

> But secondly, how exactly do you classify the acquisition of materials in GW2 being RNG? Aside from specific materials that are rare "drops" from gathering nodes, like Freshwater Pearls (which I believe is an issue), every crafting material I can think of can be acquired through multiple means (aside from the TP), and are not reliant on RNG.

>

> Without you supplying examples I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but I'll just throw one out: Vial of Powerful Blood. This T6 mat is very important for people playing power builds, etc, but there are multiple paths to obtaining them.

>

> 1. RNG. Can drop from multiple mobs, bags, or part of material shipments from Istan

> 2. Can be farmed on maps where it's part of the Map Bonus Reward for that week.

> 3. Can be upconverted from Vial of Potent Blood

>

> You want a great example of bad RNG? I was looking at some weapon skins and I noticed one that I really liked for Axe : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Corrupted_Skeggox

> The recipe to make it is pretty simple:

> 1. 20 Corrupted Lodestones

> 2. Etched Skeggox (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Etched_Skeggox)

>

> So how to get an Etched Skeggox? Well like all Etched weapons

> >Acquisition

> >Random drop from foes and chests throughout the Shiverpeak Mountains region

>

> So I have to wander the Shiverpeaks killing everything until it drops, or I can dump rare axes into the magic toilet until it pops? Oh goody.

>

> (Or alternatively, I can always go down the path of crafting Frostfang which unlocks the same skin (the perfected axe), but really if I'm going for Frostfang, what do I care about this skin?)

>

So in you're case you consider rng fine as long as their is a non rng option to get what you want?

I gave materials as an example because all the lode stones and blood etc are random drops. You just get enough so it doesn't feel like it but you can't guarantee a specific drop. (even the upgrading you need another rng drop so I wouldn't consider a non rng method)

> @"Graymalkyn.8076" said:

> One build, but three game types: PvE, PvP, WvW. We should have the ability to have three separate builds that we can switch thru depending on what we choose to do that day/session.

actually ... the builds are linked to the game mode already.

If you change your build in HotM (for conquest) , it won't change what you previously spec for WvW or PvE. and vice versae

> @"yann.1946" said:

> So in you're case you consider rng fine as long as their is a non rng option to get what you want?

>

> I gave materials as an example because all the lode stones and blood etc are random drops. You just get enough so it doesn't feel like it but you can't guarantee a specific drop. (even the upgrading you need another rng drop so I wouldn't consider a non rng method)

Precisely. You can get a legendary pre-cursor to drop from anyone, but you can also craft them or buy them from the TP. You can also buy (some of) the actual legendaries yourself! So if you want the Flameseeker Chronicles for example, you have several methods of obtaining it:

1. Buy the shield off the TP

2. Buy the precursor off the TP and craft the legendary

3. Craft the precursor and then the legendary

4. Hope to get lucky and get The Chosen as a drop, then craft the legendary.

It should also be noted that almost all the materials needed to craft a legendary are available as random drops, can be specifically farmed, crafted, or purchased outright from the TP. Even the most difficult one, the Mystic Clovers, can be attained from the monthly log in reward Chest of Loyalty, PvP/WvW reward tracks, or purchased from a Fractal vendor. I'm not saying it's easy or effortless, but there is a linear relation to acquiring them: the more time you spend on it, the faster you obtain them. Random chance isn't the sole arbiter for success.

Compare that to a friend of mine who has been farming Black Temple (in WoW) for years and still hasn't seen the Warglaives of Azzinoth drop.

I should also amend my earlier post. Turns out the Wiki is incomplete, as the Etched Skaggox was available for sale on the TP. As there was no gold price listed, I figured it must have been soulbound on acquire, but that isn't the case. So not a good example of bad RNG afterall :anguished:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > So in you're case you consider rng fine as long as their is a non rng option to get what you want?

> >

> > I gave materials as an example because all the lode stones and blood etc are random drops. You just get enough so it doesn't feel like it but you can't guarantee a specific drop. (even the upgrading you need another rng drop so I wouldn't consider a non rng method)

>

> Precisely. You can get a legendary pre-cursor to drop from anyone, but you can also craft them or buy them from the TP. You can also buy (some of) the actual legendaries yourself! So if you want the Flameseeker Chronicles for example, you have several methods of obtaining it:

>

> 1. Buy the shield off the TP

> 2. Buy the precursor off the TP and craft the legendary

> 3. Craft the precursor and then the legendary

> 4. Hope to get lucky and get The Chosen as a drop, then craft the legendary.

>

> It should also be noted that almost all the materials needed to craft a legendary are available as random drops, can be specifically farmed, crafted, or purchased outright from the TP. Even the most difficult one, the Mystic Clovers, can be attained from the monthly log in reward Chest of Loyalty, PvP/WvW reward tracks, or purchased from a Fractal vendor. I'm not saying it's easy or effortless, but there is a linear relation to acquiring them: the more time you spend on it, the faster you obtain them. Random chance isn't the sole arbiter for success.

>

> Compare that to a friend of mine who has been farming Black Temple (in WoW) for years and still hasn't seen the Warglaives of Azzinoth drop.

>

> I should also amend my earlier post. Turns out the Wiki is incomplete, as the Etched Skaggox was available for sale on the TP. As there was no gold price listed, I figured it must have been soulbound on acquire, but that isn't the case. So not a good example of bad RNG afterall :anguished:

>

>

Thank you,

I found this interesting because people where complaining over the sigil of nullification for example because it also has an rng source. But even in that case their was the TP.

It's quite nice to see a different perspective. would you consider all these systems fine even if the crafting option didn't exist?

> @"yann.1946" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > So in you're case you consider rng fine as long as their is a non rng option to get what you want?

> > >

> > > I gave materials as an example because all the lode stones and blood etc are random drops. You just get enough so it doesn't feel like it but you can't guarantee a specific drop. (even the upgrading you need another rng drop so I wouldn't consider a non rng method)

> >

> > Precisely. You can get a legendary pre-cursor to drop from anyone, but you can also craft them or buy them from the TP. You can also buy (some of) the actual legendaries yourself! So if you want the Flameseeker Chronicles for example, you have several methods of obtaining it:

> >

> > 1. Buy the shield off the TP

> > 2. Buy the precursor off the TP and craft the legendary

> > 3. Craft the precursor and then the legendary

> > 4. Hope to get lucky and get The Chosen as a drop, then craft the legendary.

> >

> > It should also be noted that almost all the materials needed to craft a legendary are available as random drops, can be specifically farmed, crafted, or purchased outright from the TP. Even the most difficult one, the Mystic Clovers, can be attained from the monthly log in reward Chest of Loyalty, PvP/WvW reward tracks, or purchased from a Fractal vendor. I'm not saying it's easy or effortless, but there is a linear relation to acquiring them: the more time you spend on it, the faster you obtain them. Random chance isn't the sole arbiter for success.

> >

> > Compare that to a friend of mine who has been farming Black Temple (in WoW) for years and still hasn't seen the Warglaives of Azzinoth drop.

> >

> > I should also amend my earlier post. Turns out the Wiki is incomplete, as the Etched Skaggox was available for sale on the TP. As there was no gold price listed, I figured it must have been soulbound on acquire, but that isn't the case. So not a good example of bad RNG afterall :anguished:

> >

> >

>

> Thank you,

>

> I found this interesting because people where complaining over the sigil of nullification for example because it also has an rng source. But even in that case their was the TP.

>

> It's quite nice to see a different perspective. would you consider all these systems fine even if the crafting option didn't exist?

The Sigil of Nullification was an issue of restricted supply, because while there was a guaranteed way to acquire them, it was only by leveling a character to 64 and choosing it as a reward - hardly "farmable". The alternative methods for getting them was salvaging them from exotic weapons that were RNG, trying your luck in the magic toilet, or purchasing them from the TP.

But, when they suddenly became very much in demand, and nothing was done to facilitate their acquisition, the price skyrocketed! Even now after the update, the cost of that sigil is still way higher than it should be, considering it's used for a specific collection, yet costs more than sigils and runes that are required for popular meta builds. So while at no time was the sigil unobtainable, it did rancour many players who had to shell out 10g+ each , when something like Sigil of Transference was selling for 1g at the time. (which btw, is now selling at 6g. GG Anet for implementing a crafting system for runes/sigils that just made them more expensive for no reason)

I like crafting because it gives the player at least some control. Back in my days of WoW, the most frustrating part was crafting gear was a waste of time, because at max level the gear just wasn't good enough. That forced you to run content in the hopes you were lucky enough to get a drop / upgrade. In later expansions they changed that so you could craft half-decent "starter" weapons and gear at max level, and then they also introduced various currencies that could be exchanged for gear, so even if RNG wasn't on your side, you could get eventually purchase something that was better than what you are wearing if you ran the content repeatedly. But WoW to this day remains an RNG fest for which many players complain.

Contrast that to GW2 where the endgame gear you need to compete in raids and T4 fractals can all be crafted by the player. Its a huge task, no question, but if you dedicate enough time towards it, the outcome is guaranteed, even if you're the unluckiest person to ever play an MMO. I think GW2's crafting system is a little too punishing imo, but if you're willing to spend lots of gold and purchase components, it's not as bad. When the time came to craft a legendary I already had much of the material in storage, acquired just by playing the game and salvaging rewards. I decided to spend gold to purchase missing mats in the effort of saving time, rather than running around farming, but the choice to farm always remained - I was just fortunate enough to have the resources to skip that. As an added benefit, selling materials on the TP is a viable means of generating currency for players either not interested in crafting, or who need to raise funds for a needed purchase (eg. Griffon) in the short term.

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > > So in you're case you consider rng fine as long as their is a non rng option to get what you want?

> > > >

> > > > I gave materials as an example because all the lode stones and blood etc are random drops. You just get enough so it doesn't feel like it but you can't guarantee a specific drop. (even the upgrading you need another rng drop so I wouldn't consider a non rng method)

> > >

> > > Precisely. You can get a legendary pre-cursor to drop from anyone, but you can also craft them or buy them from the TP. You can also buy (some of) the actual legendaries yourself! So if you want the Flameseeker Chronicles for example, you have several methods of obtaining it:

> > >

> > > 1. Buy the shield off the TP

> > > 2. Buy the precursor off the TP and craft the legendary

> > > 3. Craft the precursor and then the legendary

> > > 4. Hope to get lucky and get The Chosen as a drop, then craft the legendary.

> > >

> > > It should also be noted that almost all the materials needed to craft a legendary are available as random drops, can be specifically farmed, crafted, or purchased outright from the TP. Even the most difficult one, the Mystic Clovers, can be attained from the monthly log in reward Chest of Loyalty, PvP/WvW reward tracks, or purchased from a Fractal vendor. I'm not saying it's easy or effortless, but there is a linear relation to acquiring them: the more time you spend on it, the faster you obtain them. Random chance isn't the sole arbiter for success.

> > >

> > > Compare that to a friend of mine who has been farming Black Temple (in WoW) for years and still hasn't seen the Warglaives of Azzinoth drop.

> > >

> > > I should also amend my earlier post. Turns out the Wiki is incomplete, as the Etched Skaggox was available for sale on the TP. As there was no gold price listed, I figured it must have been soulbound on acquire, but that isn't the case. So not a good example of bad RNG afterall :anguished:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Thank you,

> >

> > I found this interesting because people where complaining over the sigil of nullification for example because it also has an rng source. But even in that case their was the TP.

> >

> > It's quite nice to see a different perspective. would you consider all these systems fine even if the crafting option didn't exist?

>

> The Sigil of Nullification was an issue of restricted supply, because while there was a guaranteed way to acquire them, it was only by leveling a character to 64 and choosing it as a reward - hardly "farmable". The alternative methods for getting them was salvaging them from exotic weapons that were RNG, trying your luck in the magic toilet, or purchasing them from the TP.

>

> But, when they suddenly became very much in demand, and nothing was done to facilitate their acquisition, the price skyrocketed! Even now after the update, the cost of that sigil is still way higher than it should be, considering it's used for a specific collection, yet costs more than sigils and runes that are required for popular meta builds. So while at no time was the sigil unobtainable, it did rancour many players who had to shell out 10g+ each , when something like Sigil of Transference was selling for 1g at the time. (which btw, is now selling at 6g. GG Anet for implementing a crafting system for runes/sigils that just made them more expensive for no reason)

>

> I like crafting because it gives the player at least some control. Back in my days of WoW, the most frustrating part was crafting gear was a waste of time, because at max level the gear just wasn't good enough. That forced you to run content in the hopes you were lucky enough to get a drop / upgrade. In later expansions they changed that so you could craft half-decent "starter" weapons and gear at max level, and then they also introduced various currencies that could be exchanged for gear, so even if RNG wasn't on your side, you could get eventually purchase something that was better than what you are wearing if you ran the content repeatedly. But WoW to this day remains an RNG fest for which many players complain.

>

> Contrast that to GW2 where the endgame gear you need to compete in raids and T4 fractals can all be crafted by the player. Its a huge task, no question, but if you dedicate enough time towards it, the outcome is guaranteed, even if you're the unluckiest person to ever play an MMO. I think GW2's crafting system is a little too punishing imo, but if you're willing to spend lots of gold and purchase components, it's not as bad. When the time came to craft a legendary I already had much of the material in storage, acquired just by playing the game and salvaging rewards. I decided to spend gold to purchase missing mats in the effort of saving time, rather than running around farming, but the choice to farm always remained - I was just fortunate enough to have the resources to skip that. As an added benefit, selling materials on the TP is a viable means of generating currency for players either not interested in crafting, or who need to raise funds for a needed purchase (eg. Griffon) in the short term.

>

So their is in this case bad RNG even while their was a non RNG way namey TP when the price is considered to high.

This seems like a rather arbitary border between bad and good RNG but thanks for the insight.

Some spoilers regarding story (disclaimer)

.WvW neglet (massive tl.dr)

.Jesus twig (Trahearne) dieing for our sins

.Jesus twig in general

.Eir the badass dieing for our sins, backstabbed by a twig while being chased by a monster twig

.Norn companion acting like a bitch due to mommy issues

.Save Taimi

.Killproof token RNG

.Killproof ammount inverifiable in-game except through linking a token

.Not being able to replay a boss in raids after you've cleared it that week, for challenge modes (seriously, when?)

> @"Dante.1763" said:

>

> If they had any kind of stat advantage over ascended they would become mandatory for all end game, meta groups, raids, fractals, dungeons, etc and as the qoute @"ProtoGunner.4953" provided states, thats not what they want.

You can do ALL of these things in Exotics.. and as far I know ascended isn't mandatory now in all of these things so still not good enough.

The targeting system, though I'm not sure that would qualify as "petty". The commander has killed dragons and other complicated evil enemies, but is still is too blind or dumb to pick the aggressive mob that is mauling their face in a fight, and instead shoots a Moa that is almost out of range and just minding it's own business.

Wild Boars (but I'm pretty sure that is by design on Anet's part)

The crafting window not having the option to open the recipe categories in collapsed state.

Not having a custom slot on the UI to place one item for quick use. Shovels for silverwastes. Gadgets for precursor collections, etc. It's dumb having to run around with your inventory window open (even minimized) instead of having a button on the UI like the one for the mounts (and now for the toys as well).

Waiting for the dream of a major WvW overhaul happening to come true.

> @"Smeerlap.2698" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> >

> > If they had any kind of stat advantage over ascended they would become mandatory for all end game, meta groups, raids, fractals, dungeons, etc and as the qoute @"ProtoGunner.4953" provided states, thats not what they want.

>

> You can do ALL of these things in Exotics.. and as far I know ascended isn't mandatory now in all of these things so still not good enough.

>

Ascended is mandatory in fractals(higher than t3, so what actually matters), and almost every raid group ive been a part of has trinkets and weapons as mandatory for ascended(my current two groups require /full/ ascended)

And *again*, the devs DO NOT WANT legendary armor, weapons or trinkets, to be mandatory, im sorry you arent happy with the advantages legendaries already have, but thats the way this game was designed so that only people who wanted to have the *skins* would obtain them. Stat swapping, and rune swapping got added much later as qol upgrades for legendaries to make them stand out more.

But, i see that you honestly *want* them to be mandatory so im gonna stop replying, good luck.

> @"Neural.1824" said:

> The targeting system, though I'm not sure that would qualify as "petty". The commander has killed dragons and other complicated evil enemies, but is still is too blind or dumb to pick the aggressive mob that is mauling their face in a fight, and instead shoots a Moa that is almost out of range and just minding it's own business.

>

Agreed. This is very frustrating at times.

* Disconnect between Player Character and companion NPC. There is no way in the Mists the Commander is okay right now and they're walking about like literally nothing is wrong with them at this point. I really would not mind an updated "Facing your demons" episode at this point, but with your companions actually helping you and realize you're just ONE person expected to deal with this nonsense alone much of the time. Something to relieve the pressure.

* I also am a bit upset of the lack of unique Chronomancer player chatter; though it might be a thing with almost all the HoT ESs. After hearing so much player chatter from Mirages in my early days, I was excited to hear what a Chrono had to say--only to get absolutely nothing. For a long time I thought "Time and Space are my allies" but that appears to not even be the case as I have never heard it come out of my character's mouth. It's coming from some other ES.

* The ending of HoT still burns me with the information we got in Season 3.

_"I will not let this all be for nothing!"_

**>several ingame weeks and/or months later**

_"Oh my god the sacrifice was for nothing because killing dragons is bad!!"_

Yaaaaaaaaay.... pointless character deaths are fun, aren't they kids?

* T3 Fractals being more of a pain in the behind than T4 Fractals.

* The Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (Purple) looking more blue than purple. Actually, no, that's not petty, I paid 400 gold for that.

* Let's just add not being able to preview Infusions to the list here

> @"Luckster.4076" said:

> * T3 Fractals being more of a pain in the behind than T4 Fractals.

Blame the fractal rewards system being unfairly biased towards t4s, then. If doing t4 fractals didn't give you t1-t3 rewards on top of t4's actual rewards, people might do lower-level fractals more often. As it is, the only people doing t1/2/3 fractals are the ones who can't do t4s.