PSA: Tormenting Scourge is ridiculous

Zero Solstice.9754

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> I wonder how much they pondered their patch before releasing it... I mean, they litteraly killed some runesets and made some other "godly".

> I can't help but mourn for the poor altruism runeset who got "necro'd"

Eh... they might have intentionally removed fury from those runes because they want certain support classes to have better defined niches on which boons to provide.

While rune of the monk initially looked absurdly buffed, barrier and life steal aren't affected by outgoing healing. So the 10-20% from monk is wasted on a lot of necro support. Meanwhile altruism, rebirth and scourge runes now have 300 healing power instead of monk with 175 healing power. Transferring conditions from allies is also a necro thing with the ability to transfer them back to enemies. I wouldn't be surprised if altruism is meta for support scourge now.

Edit: On topic, I'll have to check those out when I get home. Did that change also go through for PvP?

Edit 2: Does Rune of sanctuary 20% healing to barrier work if someone heals you while in shroud?

Edit 3: Is terror still bugged? The tooltip was buffed by 25% but it still did old damage last time I checked. 300 condi dmg on rune of necro might open some stability corrupt terror burst options.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9wsj1u/new_sanctuary_rune_overpowered_on_scourge_perma/

This might be even less thought out though >.<.

> @"DuckDuckBOOM.4097" said:

> I wouldn't be surprised if altruism is meta for support scourge now.

Nope there is nothing to gain from taking conditions from allies when using our elite skills. Seriously this killed the rune for most professions where a gentle cleanse would have been like 1000% better than that.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > @"DuckDuckBOOM.4097" said:

> > I wouldn't be surprised if altruism is meta for support scourge now.

>

> Nope there is nothing to gain from taking conditions from allies when using our elite skills. Seriously this killed the rune for most professions where a gentle cleanse would have been like 1000% better than that.

Only legit use I see for Altruism is Mallyx Rev if it has no ICD. Gonna play with this when I get home. Spamming the elite with Facet of Nature - Mallyx would yield a lot of condition absorption. The stats also complement a Mallyx/Ventari combo, so you'd get more condition removal via Purifying Essence while being able to benefit nicely from the healing power.

> @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> it's about the same balance(damage+healing total)as vampiric, and vampiric isn't particularly op. Unless you're hitting a bajillion ppl for some reason? why is that happening? is it the rune's fault?

Not that hard to do in a wvw blob fest. 1 well placed manifest sand shade with sand savant and 10 ppl will have torment

> @"Zero Solstice.9754" said:

> > @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> > it's about the same balance(damage+healing total)as vampiric, and vampiric isn't particularly op. Unless you're hitting a bajillion ppl for some reason? why is that happening? is it the rune's fault?

>

> I have a video coming soon showing why the Rune is just a *liiiiiiittle* bit broken right now...

I read on Reddit that it doesn't just affect torment but any condition you apply. Also it heals per condition and per target hit.

So inflicting 3 stacks of bleed to 5 targets for example heals for 3 x 5 x 150hp = 2250hp

That is pretty op too.

The patch notes look interesting from a Necro point of view.

1. Runes with +10% extra health could mean more LF, too, and do affect Necro and War quite a bit more than other professions.

2. Runes with added toughness bonus on the sixth slot could improve dps for a bunker build by just enough to make Death Magic not suck so bad.

3. Chill duration runes may be applied more broadly - Chill has good availability on Necro and is a core sustain condition.

4. There are a number of condition duration and boon duration buffs that might help Necro, which had trouble achieving adequate performance due to scaling.

5. Runes of Baelfire, Eagle, Forgeman, Grenth, Necromancer, Nightmare, Reaper, Scavenging, Scholar, Scourge, Speed, Svanir, Thief, Tormenting, and Vampirism look interesting at first glance

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > @"Zero Solstice.9754" said:

> >

> >

> > Video proof of this great stuff lul

>

> Sustain was nice but didn't look OP to be honest. It was just right.

> Sustain was something that necro lacked but needed all this time.

I agree, but having a Rune like this on Mirage or Revenant sounds like an awful time. And at the end of the day, a bug is a bug, and it should be fixed.

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > @"Zero Solstice.9754" said:

> >

> >

> > Video proof of this great stuff lul

>

> Sustain was nice but didn't look OP to be honest. It was just right.

> Sustain was something that necro lacked but needed all this time.

If you can't see how horribly overpowered that rune set is while it allows a condition based spec to have better sustain from simply focusing on applying conditions than any of the available heals in the game then you're either a horribly biased person that knows it's OP and just refuses to be balanced.

Or you've clearly been overburdened with an abundance of education.

> @"Ezrael.6859" said:

> > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > > @"Zero Solstice.9754" said:

> > >

> > >

> > > Video proof of this great stuff lul

> >

> > Sustain was nice but didn't look OP to be honest. It was just right.

> > Sustain was something that necro lacked but needed all this time.

>

> If you can't see how horribly overpowered that rune set is while it allows a condition based spec to have better sustain from simply focusing on applying conditions than any of the available heals in the game then you're either a horribly biased person that knows it's OP and just refuses to be balanced.

>

> Or you've clearly been overburdened with an abundance of education.

Or this person has come to realize that the concept of balance is something other than you claim it is.

Something being 'strong' doesnt make it OP. You need to make a clear distinction. OP means there is no counterplay, it is over powered. It is both too strong, and can't be counterplayed.

The rune is only as strong as your condition application, which was coincidentally NERFED before this rune came out. The proper thing to compare this to would be Parasitic contagion. Which improves based on you focusing on condition damage.

You can make the argument that this needs to be tuned down, but its not as strong as you are trying to make it seem. If you look at the heal numbers its about 125ish per application, which is about on par with old vampiric aura, which was not OP in any way. Lets not forget this only applies to torment, and only is viable on certain classes with certain builds.

Focusing on torment application will gut a normal build. This makes a nice bonus for those who already have a high amount of it. I honestly only seen an issue with this in wvw where you can have upwards of 10 enemies procced at the same time. Even in the video he take substantial damage when he is being focused and the torment sustain actually doesnt recover much numerically wise.

Also you claim at the end the person is "just in denial". Which is you projecting. Imagine not being able to imagine people disagreeing with you, and that is what you sound like. I'd argue that you, yes you, are overreacting to the amount of sustain. Old vampiric aura was basically this, and it applied to your allies as well.

Why do people seem to have this problem with properly rewarding builds for speccing into something, but then wonder why the meta is as restrictive as is?

Edit: However yes, ofc the bug should be fixed, but im talking about the torment application restoring hp. So there are no misunderstandings.

The problem with the broken interaction of rune of sanctuary:

First what it does: gives you barrier for 20% of the amount you are healed.

Broken interaction:

1.Use scourge with abrasive grit

2.take bloodmagic vampiric presence

3. Take rune of sanctuary

Results in:

Get 2 might per hit and cleanse a condition.

So hitting 5 targets will give 10might and cleanse 5 conditions.

The problem here. Anet will just address this issue with giving an icd on abrasive grit.

That's for 100% sure.

Which is definetly not the right way to balance.

Cause it's not abrasive grit, which is broken. It's the rune