Getting into WvW

Durzlla.6295

So, I’m not sure if this is exactly where this thread should go, but what do you guys recommend as steps for someone wanting to get into WvW? I’ve done roaming a little bit was never a huge fan of that, so I was looking to do like more Zerg warfare.

I would like to do Ranger/Mesmer for it but the only builds I’ve really found are either a roamed or Minstrel Chrino (id rather use something a little less self gimping than Minstrel gear). Does anyone have a good site to check out for that stuff? Or is it just metabattle?

-WvW is heavily based on builds and not being optimal means you will likely get kicked from the zerg. You just have to accept it despite your skill level. Don't post about your misfortune because it will be flagged and deleted.

-WvW lacks rewards compared to pvp/pve. You don't earn much of anything in WvW and most of your time will be spent running around when you could be farming meta events or gaining pips in pvp.

-Your experience in WvW will be dependent on your server, no balance exists as players/guilds have the ability to change servers at will for a monetary fee.

Easy steps to be successful in WvW:

- Downlad and use teamspeak

- Familiarize yourself with zerg builds/professions and pick one

- Join a squad and follow commander

Roaming is more of a personal thing, either you do okay or you don't. PvP is the way to go of you want to improve your roaming game.

Also ask people. About anything. As long as you're not rude we won't be either, and there's alot of players out there who can give you appropriate builds. Metabattle builds are perfectly fine if you are starting out.

But most importantly - just play. Watching videos and reading guides won't do much, just get in there and have a great time! ;)

Don't go ranger for zerg. It's just not welcome, despite having lots of uses with a merged supportive pet and decent shouts and being able to reach siege others can't.

If you're on most servers these days where there is no queue, then you might get in squad if you are scouting, flipping camps, spotting the enemy, etc once you prove you don't die immediately and have learnt defence and positioning.

Honestly you can run any build you want and still have some impact in warfare style fighting, as long as your doing something useful. The most important thing in warfare is strategy, numbers and strength.

If you are running around with a tanky Zerg but not able to secure kills, then you have to change your strategy in order to succeed in battle or to take an objective. On the other end of the spectrum if you have a great Zerg with huge numbers, but fail to keep track of the tail of a Zerg or mindlessly run into blobs head on in the midst of siege, then you will lose because your strategy was poor. And in between you may have a somewhat mediocre Zerg with excellent troop movement and can dominate the battlefield.

I’ve experienced all of the above as a commander, and it’s a fun experience. There’s been times where I ran around as core Rez bot Necro, rezzing downstates in battle and making sure our tail was not dying to havoc groups. I was useful in that sense in the pug Zerg.

So ya pick a build that you like and make sure your strategy is sound, and you’ll be alright.