Why is Scrapper suddenly so popular in WvW lately?

Samug.6512

Because it's fun and challenging? Don't get me wrong, I love Holosmith, but getting Scrapper to work is more challenging and thus more fun. Also, when everyone is expecting a Holosmith, a well played Scrapper is not an easy auto counter. With a Holosmith they know sooner or later you'll go Photon Forge and they can wait for it. These days most Scrappers I see are very different and not easy to predict. I've been working on a condi Scrapper build myself for a bit now.

I've seen some in na but there are some in eu as well - saw an interesting one today (they were having a lot of fun messing with us) - I don't think their build was op, it was more that they knew the terrain well, and how people would react. They used rifle, double elixir s, rocket boots, sneak gyro, healing turret in their build, probably alchemy/inventions (actually the more I think about it they probably used tools instead of inventions for gadgeteer). As for gear I'm not sure what they use, as it was still possible for them to die but probably tanky enough to take some hits+condi. I would compare it too a certain druid build that is also used in equal potency to contest keeps - it has enough stealth and leap distance to reach around the cliffs near red keep sentry bridge and on outer keep walls as well (I meant ledges). Whenever I see people using builds like these, it is only around red keep though, because of the area of escape and kiting potential far beats that of blue and green keep, you won't see them trying it there much at all. It did make me want to pull my scrapper out out of excitement from seeing them mess with everyone. It was trolly but they did play well and they knew how to use terrain so I did learn a bit more.

Scrapper hammer FEELS amazing but doesnt pack enough punch.

Just like you suddenly find alot of Reaper players swarming in to WvW, and every one of them "played reaper since hot release Kappa" :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

I shouldnt compare scrapper to reaper though, reaper REALLY packs a punch but got terrible mobility and stab, whilst Scrapper got a bunch of utility but no punch 3

Same reason you still see lots of firebrands roaming instead of the more dangerous trapper dh - its meta in one part of the game and its spilling over to other parts even if its suboptimal, because people like to play it.

Well, that and the condi burst is fairly strong on it. You can still exceed 30k damage with blowtorch to the face. As the roaming meta swings between power and condi, people have a tendancy to "forget" condi cleanses the further it moves to power... and its almost all power now.

> @"Peutrifectus.4830" said:

> Scrapper and core are just a lot if fun. Sub par in terms of power, yeah but fun.

Core hybrid engineer and support scrapper especially in PvP are more fun to play than that snoozefest Holosmith because they, you know, actually require you to learn the profession and strategize with it instead of just doing the same old boring Toss Elixir S, Holographic Shockwave, Photon Blitz, use the rifle a few times and be done with it.

Holosmith and other PoF specializations are so safe to play compared to the other professions. Core engineer and scrapper not being safe is what makes them more fun and engaging to play because there's still risk involved with them, they still require you to be cautious, to not use stun breakers prematurely, to be aware of your surroundings, to kite enemies, to use non-teleport spots etc.

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > @"Peutrifectus.4830" said:

> > Scrapper and core are just a lot if fun. Sub par in terms of power, yeah but fun.

>

> Core hybrid engineer and support scrapper especially in PvP are more fun to play than that snoozefest Holosmith because they, you know, actually require you to learn the profession and strategize with it instead of just doing the same old boring Toss Elixir S, Holographic Shockwave, Photon Blitz, use the rifle a few times and be done with it.

>

> Holosmith and other PoF specializations are so safe to play compared to the other professions. Core engineer and scrapper not being safe is what makes them more fun and engaging to play because there's still risk involved with them, they still require you to be cautious, to not use stun breakers prematurely, to be aware of your surroundings, to kite enemies, to use non-teleport spots etc.

I agree with most of what you say except i think scrapper is more on team holo than it is core. Scrapper is very safe. Can run zerk and still feel tanky but yea damage is not like holo lol.

Personally I favor defense over offense, so I can see the appeal of using Scrapper. One of the reasons why I can't bring myself to use Holo in WvW is because I know that I'll be easily trapped. To compensate for this weakness the holo-build stacks as many defensive utilities as possible, and relies on the photon forge for damage. Scrapper, however, innately has good defenses in the traits and hammer skills.

It has easy to achieve sustain with several of the newer Runes (Sanctuary and Zephyrite). Builds with high sustain, moderate damage, and a very low skill floor are appealing to a lot of players in this game mode.

It does take skill to play it very well, but the sustain floor is so high that players are probably just happy with it.

Had to roam again with Scrapper for a few days after reading your post ^^ it really is just a lot of fun.

And despite of what others say, but I think Hammer packs quite a Punch. Landing a 9k whirling Hammer #2 skill leads to some Panic reactions to anyone that does not expect it or is used to it. Additionally you are up to 25 might in a few seconds when hitting some ambient Mobs or Guards in a camp with autoattack during the brawl.

I won't start here with the lovely function gyro that still finishes now an enemy even when he was interrupted once <3 incredibly useful in 2v1 fights.

The only Thing I am missing is mobility. With Holosmith I am used to get away from almost any Group when they don't have a really skilled thief or revenant. Without rocket boots scrapper is a lot more prone to getting overwhelmed when you are deep within enemy territory with all the reveal going on there.

I think scrapper is in a very good place. Definitely doesn’t need a rework, but some QoL changes would be amazing. I only play scrapper and it’s a blast-gyro (;

But for real, a minor increase in hammer range, like bringing it up to 200 units would be amazing, also, to compete with elixers, gyros should give you a boon when popped, like fury on blast gyro, aegis on bulwark, prot on purge (to synchronise with anti corrosive) and retal on shredder. In addition to an improvement on gyro ai, or movment increase like mecha legs if traited. I feel like this would give gyros an edge against elixers if taken.

Still a decently strong class, and if played well can provide some serious group utility.

> @"Noha.3749" said:

> yeah scrapper isnt "too far" from being "viable" *cough*, it just need a little bump in efficiency somewhere. wheter its in damage, mobility. surviveability or utility.

> I think a little something would make a great difference.

Scrapper's minor traits are not that useful which turns the whole trait line into an investment into hammer or self sustain.