Annoying Sounds: GW1 Skill Cancel & GW2 Power Lock

Justine.6351

Seriously the most obnoxious sounds in two games that put the fear of mesmers in your heart.

In GW1 it was skill canceling in general but most of us know it from being interrupted by those pesky mobs of Wind Riders. Who will be brave enough to **_attempt_** to cast the first skill in this fight?

In GW2 it is that troll noise from a mesmer using Power Lock to interrupt you. Thankfully Wind Riders in GW2 are a little less evil.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey Justine,

Thank you for the feedback! No one likes obnoxious sounds... (especially us folk here on the Audio Team), and we _do_ try to retroactively remedy some of these problem sounds, (when we can.)

Unfortunately, we do not have the bandwidth to go back and touch up Guild Wars 1 content. (Sorry. :'() As for Guild Wars 2, we tend to be careful when touching player skills, especially the ones that have been in the game since launch. While _you_ find it obnoxious, there are players out there who would be disappointed if we changed it. That being said, I _did_ look into the Mesmer's Power Lock skill and I think that I have a solution that will work for everyone. :)

> @"Joseph Clark II.3425" said:

> Hey Justine,

>

> Thank you for the feedback! No one likes obnoxious sounds... (especially us folk here on the Audio Team), and we _do_ try to retroactively remedy some of these problem sounds, (when we can.)

>

> Unfortunately, we do not have the bandwidth to go back and touch up Guild Wars 1 content. (Sorry. :'() As for Guild Wars 2, we tend to be careful when touching player skills, especially the ones that have been in the game since launch. While _you_ find it obnoxious, there are players out there who would be disappointed if we changed it. That being said, I _did_ look into the Mesmer's Power Lock skill and I think that I have a solution that will work for everyone. :)

Wait what? No! Those obnoxious sounds are what make it so satisfying to interrupt someone!

Although spatial surge could be softer on my ears...

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"AllNightPlayer.1286" said:

> > @"Joseph Clark II.3425" said:

> > That being said, I _did_ look into the Mesmer's Power Lock skill and I think that I have a solution that will work for everyone. :)

> Reminds me of [my topic](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61727/cool-but-removed-sound-effects ""). :disappointed:

The solution to this issue, (which _is_ an issue), is not to _remove_ the sound, but add variation. It is, currently, only playing one sound asset, which causes the skill to sound repetitive and really stand out.

The actual sound of this skill isn't the problem, so it just needs some extra variation and a potential mix update and we'll be good. ?