Dec 11th Shackling Wave change.

UncausedRyan.1297

With the Balance Patch today, Rev sword 4 Shackling Wave received a substantial change in the sake of counterplay; Doubling its cast time from 0.5 to 1 second. This change has currently made the feel of using it terrible and easy to self interrupt. Anet please use your PvE/PvP split for shackling wave and maintain the old 0.5 cast time for PvE. I understand the change for PvP since it was a strong ability and have no issue with it in PvP.

> @"Ario.8964" said:

> Would've been better had they just reduced the damage so it wasn't a near 1 shot in pvp rather than messing with the fluidity of the entire set.

Reduce the damage in PvP sure, but Herald S/S has likely the worst burst of an power based build, and while I rarely play my Herald in PvE anymore, this was not a needed or welcome change for PvE players.

Should have reduced the damage by reducing 20% for the initial hit and removing one of the additional hits in competitive gamemodes (it can hit well over 10k in WvW too) in addition to the animation at the start.

I've wanted offhand sword damage nerfed for almost a year now but this extremely awkward cast time affects an already weak power herald build in pve and really messes with the flow of rev gameplay itself.

This feels like the arc divider cast time increase that made greatsword berserker feel extremely awkward... and look where that build is. Ded.

> @"phokus.8934" said:

> The short-sightedness of this change is so glaringly obvious.

>

> In pve it definitely screws with rotational dps output.

Yep.

I think this is the worst part of the way they changed it.

It was meant to hit PvP. But the reality is you can still hit people with shackling wave if you dodge bait them. It's also now one of the best skills to stow weapon troll with. So sword is still very viable there. Press sword 4, wait till you reach the 'swords over head' part of the animation, most people blow a dodge when they see this, stow weapons and hit them with sword 5 as their dodge ends instead. Tremendous meme.

But PvE. Oh boy. Sword 4 is basically an unusable skill for PvE now. Even with quickness I just don't see any optimal spot for it to exist as part of the rotation.

Mark has been fully missed. This skill will still see plenty of use in PvP and now basically zero use in PvE. Maximum Derp.

Bring. Back. Duelists Prep. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Starting to think axe may be the only alternative now. Shield is still even more useless.

>

> I object to this idea solely because with Rev I finally found a profession that allowed me to dual-wield identical weapons and not suck at killing things.

I have to agree, but shackling wave is just terrible now

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > Starting to think axe may be the only alternative now. Shield is still even more useless.

> >

> > I object to this idea solely because with Rev I finally found a profession that allowed me to dual-wield identical weapons and not suck at killing things.

>

> I have to agree, but shackling wave is just terrible now

>

>

I agree with your agreement. Fortunately (I guess?) I've found so much enjoyment on my Rev in WvW that I rarely use him for anything PvE except perhaps the odd meta, and while in WvW I'm running Hammer Backline (not roaming) so I can easily see myself not using OH sword much in the near future.

Still sucks though....

I've had more success running axe OH in WvW. It's less predictable (axe 4 surprised a good amount of people), has a good CC (gotta bait dodges first though, axe 5 is fairly obvious), and in general is just way faster and more fluid and allows me to kite better.

Given that the cast time of Shackling Wave is 1s now, it's fairly easy to just move out of the way, dodge, or interrupt, or even deal damage then dodge - especially in fights against warriors (with the amount of CC they have), holo (quickness + any holo skills), thieves (core s/d most notably with sword 2), since in those fights I usually have to be quick and precise in landing the bursts, and it's much harder with the new Shackling Wave. That window of 1s makes revs too vulnerable.