Death's Judgment issues

Misquesh.9504

Okay, so after the latest update I noticed that sometimes DJ just doesn't work. I don't seem to have any issues connection-wise and I don't have "revealed" on me. I go into stealth, try to use DJ and my deadeye just leaves stealth and fires normally or doesn't. It happens from time to time. Is it a problem on my end? Does anyone else experience this issue?

Edit 1: I don't have auto-attack turned on. And play in PvE only.

Edit 2: It seems to happen if you press a movement button in the middle(or so) of DJ animation. In both on the run and kneel modes. In kneel mode you just awkwardly lower the gun instead of firing. If you were, say, pressing "A" and used DJ while still pressing it, it still works correctly though. Also my Deadeye shouts "victory or death" when marking targets from time to time now.

P.S. Also, now that DJ is blockable I can't do anything against enemies that reflect projectiles. Unless I switch to melee. Which kind of goes against the idea of deadeye. If anyone from ArenaNet is reading this, could you maybe revert this change for PvE?

I've noticed that if you are in stealth, stationary, and have auto-attack turned on - casting Binding Shadows will first "attempt" to cast Death's Judgement for a split second before casting Binding Shadows. The sound effect of DJ plays, but not the cast bar or visual, so you don't actually attack, you just get immediately revealed prior to the start of the Binding Shadows cast. It's super annoying, and literally the *only* thing keeping me from enjoying the leisure of rifle's Auto Attack sometimes...

> @"dDuff.3860" said:

> In case you're trying to attempt DJ's while kneeling, you shouldn't use any movement buttons (like W, or holding RMB+LMB) as it will fail DJ but put revealed on you

Thing is, it didn't do that before. And it doesn't do it now 100% of the time either. So I don't think it's a feature.

As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

> @"Misquesh.9504" said:

> > @"dDuff.3860" said:

> > In case you're trying to attempt DJ's while kneeling, you shouldn't use any movement buttons (like W, or holding RMB+LMB) as it will fail DJ but put revealed on you

>

> Thing is, it didn't do that before. And it doesn't do it now 100% of the time either. So I don't think it's a feature.

It worked like that before, and it works like that now.

> @"dDuff.3860" said:

> > @"Misquesh.9504" said:

> > > @"dDuff.3860" said:

> > > In case you're trying to attempt DJ's while kneeling, you shouldn't use any movement buttons (like W, or holding RMB+LMB) as it will fail DJ but put revealed on you

> >

> > Thing is, it didn't do that before. And it doesn't do it now 100% of the time either. So I don't think it's a feature.

>

> It worked like that before, and it works like that now.

I guess you're right and I just didn't notice that while playing rifle deadeye only for last 2 months and using DJ while also pressing movement buttons because I was soloing all content and had to be on the move. *shrug* And my character screaming "victory or death" while marking the enemy from time to time is not a bug either and devs did no wrong and totally didn't affect the game code in any way.

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

> @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

>

> I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

>

> Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

Death's Judgement is no longer blockable. Your opinion on the matter should change as well considering the victim now has the option to block when they are hit with Spotter's Shot *as well as* their previous counter-measures to immob.

> > As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

>

> I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

>

> Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

....It's stealth. The entire point is that the other guy isn't aware of what's coming.

Issue for me is the low velocity on dj where people at max range can practically side step it where you get the "out of range" message.Increase the projectile velocity,its already pretty easy to dodge/negate anyway.And in which case knowing this fact i try to not be in max range to make sure it lands which kinda defeats the purpose of a 1.5 range skill.

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

> >

> > I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

> >

> > Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

>

> ....It's stealth. The entire point is that the other guy isn't aware of what's coming.

I understand that, but why does DJ applies reveal before hit while Spotter's Shot isn't, and why should there be an opportunity to hit twice while in Stealth?

> > > @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

> > >

> > > I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

> > >

> > > Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

> >

> > ....It's stealth. The entire point is that the other guy isn't aware of what's coming.

>

> I understand that, but why does DJ applies reveal before hit while Spotter's Shot isn't, and why should there be an opportunity to hit twice while in Stealth?

my bet is that they cannot make the laser animation of DJ visible when the thief remains in stealth, kind of like binding shadows animation is gone when the thief is in stealth.

also with spotters/skirmishers -> DJ you actually do not hit once while in stealth. you get revealed by DJ before you even hit spotters/skirmishers shot, wouldnt work otherwise.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> > > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > As long as the target is more than 600 or so units away from you, you can use spotter's shot then start the cast of DJ before the first shot hits. This is a lot more reliable than using DJ straight off, as the first shot will either bait or prevent a dodge which means DJ is more likely to hit, and it also avoids the skill queue issue of your char using a regular auto instead of DJ.

> > > >

> > > > I really do not like this design. Most of my targets in PvP were not aware that a Spotter's Shot will be coming from Stealth and a DJ will immediately follow through, when they realize that a DJ is coming, it'll be too little too late as they are immobilized and thus cannot dodge.

> > > >

> > > > Apologies for spoiling the pleasures of DE players, but Spotter's Shot should be treated as DJ which applies reveal after the bullet goes off the rifle and not "upon hit". Just my two cents.

> > >

> > > ....It's stealth. The entire point is that the other guy isn't aware of what's coming.

> >

> > I understand that, but why does DJ applies reveal before hit while Spotter's Shot isn't, and why should there be an opportunity to hit twice while in Stealth?

>

> my bet is that they cannot make the laser animation of DJ visible when the thief remains in stealth, kind of like binding shadows animation is gone when the thief is in stealth.

Ah yes, coding issues haven't been taken into consideration here. That's a nice take you got.

Edit:

Grammar.