Fear

Drakril.4058

Fear is a condition & hard CC, meaning it can be cleared with **condition removal** and a stun break.

it can be mitigated with stability & **resistance**.

seeing as there are many ways to clear/prevent Fear, why would the base function of it being a **condition** not apply when another hard CC is landed on a target?

if i combo for a 4s fear and my teammate knocks the opponent down after 1s, the remainder of fear is cleared completely.

i would like to see Fear remain on the target until cleared by means of a stun-break or condi cleanse (since you can do both to mitigate fear). So if my teammate has a 2s knockdown my 1s of fear should remain unless removed as all other hard CC skills or conditions. Or at least allow the fear to maintain any additional functionality (Terror/dread) from traits for the duration if not removed appropriately.

thoughts?

It has a lot of counters but its what happens when the stab it self is counter by boon corruption. In a way its one of them most often hard cc hitting ppl by one class and then not of any use for others. It may be to powerful due to how often it can be trigger and re-trigger on the same person.

Nothing more fun then to be fear for a good 2 sec because you had one stack of stab on you not know you been trued arone and then use your "leap" skills only to jump the way you did not want to. So its much more then a simple hard cc like stun its far stronger as it mess up more then a moment of non moment non skill. (Super speed is hard counter by fear as well its funny to have some one run off to no where because they been feared and have super speed on them.)

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> Fear is one of the strongest control effects (long duration, hard control, you can control the direction of the enemy's movement), that's why.

Push effects are stronger, if you ask me.

The only upside fear has over knockback and knockdown is that it's affected by condi duration.

> @"Jethro.9376" said:

> > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > Fear is one of the strongest control effects (long duration, hard control, you can control the direction of the enemy's movement), that's why.

> Push effects are stronger, if you ask me.

> The only upside fear has over knockback and knockdown is that it's affected by condi duration.

A fair point. I'd say they're different. Knockdown won't make the enemy leave the node (PvP), and knockback is sometimes too fast for you to be able to hit your enemy with something else. At the same time, fear can generally last longer and can be traited to deal damage in the case of necromancers.

> @"Jethro.9376" said:

> > Fear is one of the strongest control effects (long duration, hard control, you can control the direction of the enemy's movement), that's why.

> Push effects are stronger, if you ask me.

> The only upside fear has over knockback and knockdown is that it's affected by condi duration.

Oddly yes and no. Fear can make you when the player has super speed where fear make you run super far in a short time. Also there the turn that messes ppl up so much with fear. Maybe if we added in a "spin" cc where you knock back and spin the player that would be stronger then fear.

Most fear applications are 1 - 1.5s unless traited for longer duration meaning the build has been designed specifically to do damage around Fears loosing out on other potentially beneficial trait line. Currently COR necro shroud #3 is the longest when traited and can last 3s+ cond duration bonus (instant cast, single target). Most knockbacks/downs/stuns last for 2s + (untraited) and only have 1 hard counter so i dont think its that Fear duration is much longer. Max fear combo using 3 skills on long CDs = 7s(traited) + condi duration which = around 7k damage from terror (roughly). The only real issue with Fear is when you have 8+ stacks of Torment and then get feared. But scourge application of fear is subpar and mesmer has no access to fear so its not an issue.

if being turned around is really game breaking compared to blocks, invuns, drop target, etc then i suggest you key bind "about face" and all your issues are solved.

i do agree push effects are alot stronger and will still proc additional torment dmg with only 1 counter.

so lets say we go with "When fear is applied, the condition + all additional effects with exist until cleared using a stunbreak or condi clear. Upon landing another hard CC other than fear, the secondary control effect will take place but the additional effects will remain as though it was simply a condition" This can still be mitigated with resistance and would mimic the same function as a PvE mob boss that cannot be CCd

Or maybe rework necro traits so that when a player is feared they gain an additional debuff and that is where the effects take place (something simular to CttB)

Terror - When a player is feared cause them to also COWER in fear causing damage per second. (cower would be a condition that can be removed with condi cleanse)

Dredd - +10 vun when feared, cause an addtional 33% dmg to players who are effected be fear/cower

i dont think this would be game breaking as the builds that are required to pull this off or not anywhere near META level.

Lets get some traction on this if you feel Fear needs some love!

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> Fear is one of the strongest control effects (long duration, hard control, you can control the direction of the enemy's movement), that's why.

It's also one of the most controversial since being powerless while your character runs around in random directions is generally more frustrating to players than just being stuck in one place for a bit.

> @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

>

> It's also one of the most controversial since being powerless while your character runs around in random directions is generally more frustrating to players than just being stuck in one place for a bit.

Direction is not random, you literally turn away from the person who feared you and move in a straight line. Are you getting fear mixed up with taunt?

> @"Drakril.4058" said:

> > @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > Fear is one of the strongest control effects (long duration, hard control, you can control the direction of the enemy's movement), that's why.

> >

> > It's also one of the most controversial since being powerless while your character runs around in random directions is generally more frustrating to players than just being stuck in one place for a bit.

>

> Direction is not random, you literally turn away from the person who feared you and move in a straight line. Are you getting fear mixed up with taunt?

Just got it mixed up with WoW's fear. Taunt doesn't make you run in a random direction though.

> @"Drakril.4058" said:

> if i combo for a 4s fear and my teammate knocks the opponent down after 1s, the remainder of fear is cleared completely.

That is how CC work, this does not apply to fear only.

Suppose you stun someone for 3 sec, then after 1 second someone else uses a skill that dazes for 0.5 sec. The 3 sec stun will be overwritten by the 0.5 daze and act as a stun break. Thus giving the enemy a free stun break.

This made me rage so much that I even complained to Anet asking them to rework how CC's are applied. Till this day, they have done nothing about it.

> @"Hitman.5829" said:

> > @"Drakril.4058" said:

> > if i combo for a 4s fear and my teammate knocks the opponent down after 1s, the remainder of fear is cleared completely.

>

> That is how CC work, this does not apply to fear only.

> Suppose you stun someone for 3 sec, then after 1 second someone else uses a skill that dazes for 0.5 sec. The 3 sec stun will be overwritten by the 0.5 daze and act as a stun break. Thus giving the enemy a free stun break.

>

> This made me rage so much that I even complained to Anet asking them to rework how CC's are applied. Till this day, they have done nothing about it.

>

i just fell that Fear should have something unique other than just considered a Hard CC. if thats the case then remove it from the condition category so there arrnt as many ways to clear it. Or remove fear from all other classes than necro and make it some sort of class mechanic that could work as a defensive ability.

> @"Drakril.4058" said:

> i just fell that Fear should have something unique other than just considered a Hard CC. if thats the case then remove it from the condition category so there arrnt as many ways to clear it. Or remove fear from all other classes than necro and make it some sort of class mechanic that could work as a defensive ability.

Wait, are you serious about this?