Diflourite earrings: no HoT stats?

Daddicus.6128

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cited that Core stats are available from PoF items. I'm asking for logic to defend the choice to leave out HoT stats. If they're going to be consistent, then HoT stats should also be available, because HoT preceded PoF, just like Core did.

Here's the big issue: you can't wear two earrings of the same type, because they're unique. So, now I'm stuck with one HoT earring and one from fractals or some other part of the game. Or, I have to use winterberries to make earrings. But, those have to be reserved for breathers, because there are effectively no other breathers available. (The ones from Astora come even less frequently than Wegloop's, so that's no help.)

Vanilla content gives access to vanilla stats.

Hot content gives access to vanilla and Hot stats.

PoF content gives access to vanilla and PoF stats.

Makes sense no?

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

>

> Or, I have to use winterberries to make earrings.

If only Winterberries weren't finite. Oh wait, they aren't. Farm more, problem solved.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> Just stick to the question.

I answered the question. The developers want people to buy the expansions. Expansion specific stats are locked behind the relevant expansion.

The base game was discontinued and fused into HoT and PoF releases.

> Expansions

>

> What expansions are there currently, and am I required to purchase these?

>

> It is not necessary to purchase any expansions. They do, however, offer additional features and content that is not available to core players.

>

> The first expansion is Heart of Thorns, which officially launched on October 23, 2015. A pre-launch release was put on sale June 16, 2015. **It included the Guild Wars 2 core game**, an exclusive title ("Maguuma Trailblazer"), and access to all beta weekend events, which were held prior to the official launch.

- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

The same applies to PoF and very likely any future expansion. Don't believe me, go buy the base GW2 off of the official store, I dare you to.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> No, it doesn't. By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

Yes, they should. HoT and PoF are both expansions of the core game. There essentially is no HoT or PoF without core GW2, but you can have HoT without PoF or vice versa. The core game is always required, though. Which is why it makes perfect sense for trinkets from either expansion to include core stats, but not each other's stats.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > Vanilla content gives access to vanilla stats.

> >

>

> Do the mist trinkets restrict the available set of stats based on which expansions you have?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mist_Talisman

> Available prefixes

> Heart of Thorns prefixes are only available to players who have the Heart of Thorns expansion.

In short, yes.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> No, it doesn't. By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

Yes it does because the core game is free and is given free with either expansion to begin with. The reason they keep PoF and HoT separate and many other things for that matter is to keep both expansions as viable for purchasing. If you bought PoF and not HoT and want those HoT stats you need to buy HoT. If you buy HoT and want PoF stats you need to buy PoF. Same goes for guild stuff, gliders, mounts, etc.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does.

> By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

The logic was stated: core stats (a.k.a. "vanilla" stats) are _always_ included, as they don't require any expansion but are (naturally) tied to every expansion, because that is where you character starts.

The core is, well, the _core_ game. You cannot play any expansion without it.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > Vanilla content gives access to vanilla stats.

> > >

> >

> > Do the mist trinkets restrict the available set of stats based on which expansions you have?

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mist_Talisman

> > Available prefixes

> > Heart of Thorns prefixes are only available to players who have the Heart of Thorns expansion.

>

> In short, yes.

Well, that statement in the wiki is clearly incomplete, since you can also get the mists stuff with PoF stats. I'll fix that.

But, you have inadvertently made my sub-point for me: BOTH are available to mists players (presumably if you own the matching expansion).

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > No, it doesn't. By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

>

> Yes it does because the core game is free and is given free with either expansion to begin with. The reason they keep PoF and HoT separate and many other things for that matter is to keep both expansions as viable for purchasing. If you bought PoF and not HoT and want those HoT stats you need to buy HoT. If you buy HoT and want PoF stats you need to buy PoF. Same goes for guild stuff, gliders, mounts, etc.

Yeah, but I own BOTH.

PoF came out after HoT. HoT included all previous stat combos, i.e. core stats. Logically, PoF should have done the same. (Personally, I think HoT should be retrofitted with PoF stats as well, but backstitching is another subject.)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

>

> The logic was stated: core stats (a.k.a. "vanilla" stats) are _always_ included, as they don't require any expansion but are (naturally) tied to every expansion, because that is where you character starts.

>

> The core is, well, the _core_ game. You cannot play any expansion without it.

Now, that's a reason why. It's a bad reason (IMO), but at least it offers thoughts on my actual question. Thanks.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

> >

> > The logic was stated: core stats (a.k.a. "vanilla" stats) are _always_ included, as they don't require any expansion but are (naturally) tied to every expansion, because that is where you character starts.

> >

> > The core is, well, the _core_ game. You cannot play any expansion without it.

>

> Now, that's a reason why. It's a bad reason (IMO), but at least it offers thoughts on my actual question. Thanks.

It's what has been answered before, only that I was more explicit in my explanation (as in spelling it out for you). Unless, of course, you are new to the game and did not grasp the fact yet that you cannot start anywhere else other than the core campaign.

But PoF is not an expansion of HoT. That's the major difference. They are expansions of the core game. They include core, plus the stats for the respective expansion. If PoF was an expansion of HoT, THEN it'd be completely reasonable that any gear in PoF that has selectable stats would include HoT stats as well. That's the point they are trying to make.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> Can someone (preferably from ANet) please explain why the diflourite earrings cannot have HoT stats? They can do core stats, but not HoT?

They don't even have full core stats, such as assassin, magi, carrion etc. . While trinkets from HoT have full combos from core+HoT.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

> > >

> > > The logic was stated: core stats (a.k.a. "vanilla" stats) are _always_ included, as they don't require any expansion but are (naturally) tied to every expansion, because that is where you character starts.

> > >

> > > The core is, well, the _core_ game. You cannot play any expansion without it.

> >

> > Now, that's a reason why. It's a bad reason (IMO), but at least it offers thoughts on my actual question. Thanks.

>

> It's what has been answered before, only that I was more explicit in my explanation (as in spelling it out for you). Unless, of course, you are new to the game and did not grasp the fact yet that you cannot start anywhere else other than the core campaign.

No, it was fundamentally different. The earlier posts all said what had happened. This one explained the logic behind it.

But, I sure hope ANet has a better reason than that. They had to write extra code to exclude the HoT stat combos. My question is why did they do that extra work?

PoF isn't done yet, so this may change, but IMO there are currently zero useful PoF stat combinations available for PvE. So, there's no reason to ever buy another diflourite trinket (and I wish I could recover the volatile magic I spend on these useless things).

That can't be what they intended. (Or, at least I hope not.) If it were, then they shouldn't have bothered even adding them to the game in the first place. What's the use of having just one ring and one earring available? Maybe the back items, amulets, and more rings/earrings are coming.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > Can someone (preferably from ANet) please explain why the diflourite earrings cannot have HoT stats? They can do core stats, but not HoT?

>

> They don't even have full core stats, such as assassin, magi, carrion etc. . While trinkets from HoT have full combos from core+HoT.

I hadn't noticed that. That makes my statement (that diflourite trinkets have no value) in the previous post a gross understatement.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > > By that logic, neither HoT nor PoF trinkets should include Core stats as an option. Hence, this thread.

> > > >

> > > > The logic was stated: core stats (a.k.a. "vanilla" stats) are _always_ included, as they don't require any expansion but are (naturally) tied to every expansion, because that is where you character starts.

> > > >

> > > > The core is, well, the _core_ game. You cannot play any expansion without it.

> > >

> > > Now, that's a reason why. It's a bad reason (IMO), but at least it offers thoughts on my actual question. Thanks.

> >

> > It's what has been answered before, only that I was more explicit in my explanation (as in spelling it out for you). Unless, of course, you are new to the game and did not grasp the fact yet that you cannot start anywhere else other than the core campaign.

>

> No, it was fundamentally different. The earlier posts all said what had happened. This one explained the logic behind it.

>

Go read what I had written in my 3rd reply in this thread. You simply did not like the answer given.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> But, I sure hope ANet has a better reason than that. They had to write extra code to exclude the HoT stat combos. My question is why did they do that extra work?

>

Yes, they had to write extra code to keep stats specifically to a certain expansion in order to promote and encourage people to buy said expansion.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> PoF isn't done yet, so this may change, but IMO there are currently zero useful PoF stat combinations available for PvE. So, there's no reason to ever buy another diflourite trinket (and I wish I could recover the volatile magic I spend on these useless things).

You are incorrect in your assumption about PoF stat usefulness. Harrier and Marshal's are highly desired stats by certain builds and professions. Grieving and Plaguedoctor's are semi desired. You are correct though, PoF is not done yet and the unique stat combinations are limited compared to HoT. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

>

> That can't be what they intended. (Or, at least I hope not.) If it were, then they shouldn't have bothered even adding them to the game in the first place. What's the use of having just one ring and one earring available? Maybe the back items, amulets, and more rings/earrings are coming.

Here https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket, go check when the first ascended ring became available with HoT (Bloodstone Fen to be exact). How many rings were people able to use at that point? How is this any different then compared to now?

It took until LWS3 Episode 3 (Bitterfrost Frontier) until people could get the set completed in HoT and the related living world content.

There are also ways to wear 2 unique rings. Infusing or attuning a ring gives it a different ID. Thus wearing a Difluorite Band and an Attuned Difluorite Band (or [infused] Difluorite Band), or 2 other variations of this, is possible.

You are looking at a snapshot of the game and making a huge complaint when you are well aware by your own admission that PoF is not complete yet (and as such likely has not seen all ascended trinkets added). As well as being ill informed since you are neither considering infusing/attuning a ring in order to wear it, as well as discounting or not considering the fact that raid trinkets allow for PoF stats as well thus giving people currently the ability to wear 2 different rings with PoF stats already.