Question About Using Mouse for Keybinds

I was wondering if it would be okay to use my Logitech G502's side buttons for commands like Ctrl-1 (what I currently have my elite skill bound to), or Alt-Shift-C (show/hide ArcDPS window) within Guild Wars 2?

I've heard of people using keypads and side buttons in GW2 getting banned for "use of macros or automation," and I was wondering if the same would apply here to hit those key combinations. I just don't want to get banned for using my mouse's side buttons for hotkey combinations.

> @"dandamanno.4136" said:

> If you are using the GW2 client settings to bind them, then obviously that is ok. If you are using a third party program to make more complicated (mulit-key press) binds, then that is probably not ok.

Yeah I'd be using the Logitech software to bind Ctrl-1 and Alt-Shift-C to individual buttons.

> @"Emberstone.2904" said:

> I was wondering if it would be okay to use my Logitech G502's side buttons for commands like Ctrl-1 (what I currently have my elite skill bound to), or Alt-Shift-C (show/hide ArcDPS window) within Guild Wars 2?

>

> I've heard of people using keypads and side buttons in GW2 getting banned for "use of macros or automation,"

What?! NO! :)

I have in-game functions bound to my mouse buttons as well, that is absolutely permitted. Only functions that combine several commands or complex automated functionalities in one click (called macros) are a grey area and (possibly?) prohibitted. But a simple key bind to a mouse button or keypad key definitely isn't.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Emberstone.2904" said:

> > I was wondering if it would be okay to use my Logitech G502's side buttons for commands like Ctrl-1 (what I currently have my elite skill bound to), or Alt-Shift-C (show/hide ArcDPS window) within Guild Wars 2?

> >

> > I've heard of people using keypads and side buttons in GW2 getting banned for "use of macros or automation,"

>

> What?! NO! :)

>

> I have in-game functions bound to my mouse buttons as well, that is absolutely permitted. Only functions that combine several commands or complex automated functionalities in one click (called macros) are a grey area and (possibly?) prohibitted. But a simple key bind to a mouse button or keypad key definitely isn't.

I guess the only reason I'm worried about it is because I'd be binding more than one key to the button. Ctrl-1 in the case of my elite skill, and Alt-Shift-C to showing/hiding my ArcDPS window.

Even though the button will execute multiple keypresses, since it ends in a single action it's still okay? I'd rather not change my elite skill away from Ctrl-1 as I've had it that way since launch.

> I guess the only reason I'm worried about it is because I'd be binding more than one key to the button. Ctrl-1 in the case of my elite skill, and Alt-Shift-C to showing/hiding my ArcDPS window.

It is still **one** function you are binding, not several. The number of keys required to activate it is irrelevant. I can bind stuff to "L" or to "Ctrl + L" in the keybind settings of the game, is doesn't make a difference - the game will register either as one function.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Emberstone.2904" said:

> > I guess the only reason I'm worried about it is because I'd be binding more than one key to the button. Ctrl-1 in the case of my elite skill, and Alt-Shift-C to showing/hiding my ArcDPS window.

>

> It is still **one** function you are binding, not several. The number of keys required to activate it is irrelevant. I can bind stuff to "L" or to "Ctrl + L" in the keybind settings of the game, is doesn't make a difference - the game will register either as one function.

Alrighty, that clears up the slightly ambiguous wording of the Third Party Program Policy post. I'd bind the elite skill in-game if I could, but it's an extra macro button on the mouse so I have to use software.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hi. I have similar question about mouse left and right click binding but it may sound strange though. I use these for move left and right and it's a very old finger memory and no matter how hard I try, simply cannot get used to the awsd setup. Other players find it very weir, but still. I've already quit games due to not being able to rebind mouse buttons in my way.

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Emberstone.2904" said:

> > > I guess the only reason I'm worried about it is because I'd be binding more than one key to the button. Ctrl-1 in the case of my elite skill, and Alt-Shift-C to showing/hiding my ArcDPS window.

> >

> > It is still **one** function you are binding, not several. The number of keys required to activate it is irrelevant. I can bind stuff to "L" or to "Ctrl + L" in the keybind settings of the game, is doesn't make a difference - the game will register either as one function.

>

> Alrighty, that clears up the slightly ambiguous wording of the Third Party Program Policy post. I'd bind the elite skill in-game if I could, but it's an extra macro button on the mouse so I have to use software.

>

> Thanks.

As other people have said the rule is that you can only bind one **action** to a button, it doesn't matter how many keys it takes to achieve that action (although the 'original' key combination has to be set up in-game and I think that limits you to three - a button and 2 modifiers).

So for example you can bind the Hide UI function to ctrl+shift+H and then set up a mouse button so you push the one button and it acts as pushing ctrl, shift and H together and hides the UI. But you can't bind skills 1-3 to the 1, 2 and 3 number keys and then set up a mouse button so it activates skill 2, then 3, then 1. Both simulate pushing 3 keys but one triggers a single action and the other triggers 3 seperate actions.

(As a basic rule of thumb if you could bind it to one key using the in-game control options then it's fine to bind it to a mouse button, even if you've chosen to use two or three keys together. But if it's seperate items in the game's control menu then you need to be using seperate buttons or keys to activate each one.)

I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that the same software can do both. For example I have to use the Logitech Gaming Software to program the extra buttons on my mouse, it's the official software for the mouse and Anet have said it's ok to do that. But the same software can be used to create macros by programming a whole series of actions to trigger, in order, on one mouse button. But the important thing is the end result, not the software or number of keys involved.

> @"Hotarasin Mitana.8237" said:

> Hi. I have similar question about mouse left and right click binding but it may sound strange though. I use these for move left and right and it's a very old finger memory and no matter how hard I try, simply cannot get used to the awsd setup. Other players find it very weir, but still. I've already quit games due to not being able to rebind mouse buttons in my way.

I don't see a question there. Are you asking if you have to use the keyboard to move? Or how to change your left and right click bindings? Or something else?

From what I was able to understand by reading Anet's statements on "unattended gameplay", is

1. Using any kind of macrosses (complex sequences of actions each of which usually requires a separate key pressed, triggered by you pressing just one key, like emulating pressing 5 keys in a row with some pauses between engaging each key) is NOT an issue in non-competitive modes of the game (so, perfectly legal in OW/Dungeons/Fractals/Raids)

2. It's still illegal to fully automate your gameplay to an extent a human is no longer needed at the keyboard (i.e. botting); this includes splitting input from one set of input devices to several machines (like, running 3 game clients on 3 PCs, controlling 3 charactares from one keyboard and mouse **at the same time**) - as you are a single human but play as 3 different characters at once; it's not illegal though to have few clients running at the same time, if you're only using them in turns (like, you do something with one character, then switch to another screen/PC and do something with another character - not simultaneously)

3. Any kind of key pressing macroses giving you advantage over other players are illegal in PvP/WvW

• 1 year later...

To Necro an old thread, I found a third party mouse app that lets me intercept button commands and swap them for something else.

IE if i scroll my mouse up, it will first ignore the scroll command in guild wars 2 (don't want to adjust my view), then swap to a new layer that lets me simulate a key-press something like "clicking mb4 triggers f1 instead of mb4" for example. So I am still only doing 1 action, just allowing a single button to change what action it does when I use the scroll wheel (i guess kinda like holding the shift key). This is permissible? Don't wanna try until i know.