How weak is Kralkatorrik?

He was the very first Elder Dragon we would ever come to see in GW1 and his presence has been described in a book and is seen in-game. His size and appearance is terrifying. His powers seems endless.

Path of Fire (before LWS4) showed us the weakness of this great beast: the Dragonsblood Spear. We destroyed this, however research from Yasna of Kralkatite ore during LWS4 Episode 1 at the Astralarium hinted that confluence of astral energy (aka intense focused light) could purify the Kralkatite. Fast forward even further to LWS4 Episode 4 and we learn that the Djinns' have magic protection capable of resisting the Brand, something Ziya grants the Commander from arcane experiments on corrupted sand.

So we went from one sole weakness to Kralk and his Dragonbrand, to potentially three ways we can defeat him? Granted, the magic the djinn's wield is protection based, but I'm sure Taimi could find a way to turn that into a weapon. Especially if you combine it djinn's protective magic with the other two - intense focused light and dragonsblood weapons.

My question is, where does the destinction lie between the Brand and Kralk himself? The Brand is his corruption, but is it also a part of him? For instance, is the Brand also part of his thick hide, his internal structure, or does it extend beyond that and is far more vital for his survival?

i think this is something Anet is asking them self for how to deal with the branded. in some games/movies a corruption is like that of a will put on a creatcher. but from what they story is telling us the corruption is fully tied to the dragon that is making it like at the end of the fight when you see caith. i cant get any further then this then what ever Anet choses is what we will have to take.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"PsDh.2471" said:

> He was the very first Elder Dragon we would ever come to see in GW1 and his presence has been described in a book and is seen in-game. His size and appearance is terrifying. His powers seems endless.

>

> Path of Fire (before LWS4) showed us the weakness of this great beast: the Dragonsblood Spear. We destroyed this, however research from Yasna of Kralkatite ore during LWS4 Episode 1 at the Astralarium hinted that confluence of astral energy (aka intense focused light) could purify the Kralkatite. Fast forward even further to LWS4 Episode 4 and we learn that the Djinns' have magic protection capable of resisting the Brand, something Ziya grants the Commander from arcane experiments on corrupted sand.

>

> So we went from one sole weakness to Kralk and his Dragonbrand, to potentially three ways we can defeat him? Granted, the magic the djinn's wield is protection based, but I'm sure Taimi could find a way to turn that into a weapon. Especially if you combine it djinn's protective magic with the other two - intense focused light and dragonsblood weapons.

>

> My question is, where does the destinction lie between the Brand and Kralk himself? The Brand is his corruption, but is it also a part of him? For instance, is the Brand also part of his thick hide, his internal structure, or does it extend beyond that and is far more vital for his survival?

We talked about this quite a bit when creating this episode. The weakness we've described in the past was that Kralk's "blood" is his own weakness but that also could mean his kin. The Brand are effectively extensions of himself and therefor their materials and him are one in the same. At least, the share the same frequency as described in Ep 5. This is what allows us to create weapons that Kralk is weak to.

> @"Clayton Kisko.5207" said:

> > @"PsDh.2471" said:

> > He was the very first Elder Dragon we would ever come to see in GW1 and his presence has been described in a book and is seen in-game. His size and appearance is terrifying. His powers seems endless.

> >

> > Path of Fire (before LWS4) showed us the weakness of this great beast: the Dragonsblood Spear. We destroyed this, however research from Yasna of Kralkatite ore during LWS4 Episode 1 at the Astralarium hinted that confluence of astral energy (aka intense focused light) could purify the Kralkatite. Fast forward even further to LWS4 Episode 4 and we learn that the Djinns' have magic protection capable of resisting the Brand, something Ziya grants the Commander from arcane experiments on corrupted sand.

> >

> > So we went from one sole weakness to Kralk and his Dragonbrand, to potentially three ways we can defeat him? Granted, the magic the djinn's wield is protection based, but I'm sure Taimi could find a way to turn that into a weapon. Especially if you combine it djinn's protective magic with the other two - intense focused light and dragonsblood weapons.

> >

> > My question is, where does the destinction lie between the Brand and Kralk himself? The Brand is his corruption, but is it also a part of him? For instance, is the Brand also part of his thick hide, his internal structure, or does it extend beyond that and is far more vital for his survival?

>

> We talked about this quite a bit when creating this episode. The weakness we've described in the past was that Kralk's "blood" is his own weakness but that also could mean his kin. The Brand are effectively extensions of himself and therefor their materials and him are one in the same. At least, the share the same frequency as described in Ep 5. This is what allows us to create weapons that Kralk is weak to.

In the book, caithe captured some of kralks blood. Any reason we didnt use that to make a new spear?

> > @"PsDh.2471" said:

> > He was the very first Elder Dragon we would ever come to see in GW1 and his presence has been described in a book and is seen in-game. His size and appearance is terrifying. His powers seems endless.

> >

> > Path of Fire (before LWS4) showed us the weakness of this great beast: the Dragonsblood Spear. We destroyed this, however research from Yasna of Kralkatite ore during LWS4 Episode 1 at the Astralarium hinted that confluence of astral energy (aka intense focused light) could purify the Kralkatite. Fast forward even further to LWS4 Episode 4 and we learn that the Djinns' have magic protection capable of resisting the Brand, something Ziya grants the Commander from arcane experiments on corrupted sand.

> >

> > So we went from one sole weakness to Kralk and his Dragonbrand, to potentially three ways we can defeat him? Granted, the magic the djinn's wield is protection based, but I'm sure Taimi could find a way to turn that into a weapon. Especially if you combine it djinn's protective magic with the other two - intense focused light and dragonsblood weapons.

> >

> > My question is, where does the destinction lie between the Brand and Kralk himself? The Brand is his corruption, but is it also a part of him? For instance, is the Brand also part of his thick hide, his internal structure, or does it extend beyond that and is far more vital for his survival?

>

> We talked about this quite a bit when creating this episode. The weakness we've described in the past was that Kralk's "blood" is his own weakness but that also could mean his kin. The Brand are effectively extensions of himself and therefor their materials and him are one in the same. At least, the share the same frequency as described in Ep 5. This is what allows us to create weapons that Kralk is weak to.

It also makes seance that because the new spears are not his blood, but something closely related that the spears would be weaker. But we have his blood now I suspect after beating his eyeball out we are soaking in it

> > @"PsDh.2471" said:

> >

> >

> >

>

Thanks for the answer! This also ties nicely with how Dragonsblood weapons are crafted using the Branded Mass. Therefore we would get the weapons that share the same frequency as Kralk, and allows us to cut down Branded creatures and Kralk more efficiently (well, not that crafted Dragonsblood weapons has added dmg against Branded creature, but the logic behind the use of Branded Mass to craft Dragonsblood weapons makes sense).