Idea for Honed Axes

InsaneQR.7412

Due to Necro scepter trait changes i came to the idea that Honed Axes also could augment an axe skill when the trait is equipped.

Lets say winter's bite is always AoE baseline and when you equip the skill changes to "Winter's Wrath" ground target. Leap to the targeted area apply bleeding and chill.

So the only significant change is that it brings you into melee range which synergizes with axe OH.

> @"Levetty.1279" said:

> That would change the trait from 'me not wanting to use axe without the trait' to 'not wanting to use the trait when I am using axe'.

Well depends IMO.

If you go full melee its beneficial.

If you wanna go range you dont.

I mean for many builds using axe this would be a blessing.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > @"Levetty.1279" said:

> > That would change the trait from 'me not wanting to use axe without the trait' to 'not wanting to use the trait when I am using axe'.

>

> Well depends IMO.

> If you go full melee its beneficial.

> If you wanna go range you dont.

> I mean for many builds using axe this would be a blessing.

I think the problem is that MH axe and the axe trait are very common picks. That's 240 ferocity and 20% CDR you would have to give up to not have a melee axe 3. When axe 1 and 2 are already ranged, you cannot go full melee regardless. So it would be a hefty nerf for ppl that want a traited ranged axe.

If there was a weapon to receive that kind of rework, I'd actually wish it was sword. Strider's defense isn't a common pick in PvE or PvP regardless of build type because skrim isn't common. So it wouldn't feel bad to "lose" the trait for most sword rangers. Have it change sword 2 to be more offensive/direct leap forward. Realistically, won't happen cause it's a core ranger ability.

Necro scepter is basically like honed axes right now. Take single target skill 3 and make it aoe. It doesn't remove baseline functionality nor does it feel like a nerf to a play style in any way. Both are core traits. The change closest to your idea is the holo trait that makes forge 1 a ranged skill. That's an elite kit though so it kinda makes more sense.

> @"Levetty.1279" said:

> That would change the trait from 'me not wanting to use axe without the trait' to 'not wanting to use the trait when I am using axe'.

I don't like the proposed change but that's already the case.

PvP players use axe without beast mastery most of the time.

In PvE axe or not you play the trait for extra ferocity.

In WvW you sometime play axe without the trait in small scale because pet's prowess offers more ferocity and in large scale axe and soulbeast as a whole is not wanted because of projectiles.