Why I like PVP

Angelweave.1856

I know right WHAT AM I SMOKING! but I have OCD and like to get achievements ticked off (not that I'm overly successful at that). Many of the PVE and some WvW ones are pretty hard to get because I'm a loner and don't play GW2 as an MMO... antisocial people playing MMO's, we do exist to give meaning to the word oxymoron.

PVP if I have 15min free I can jump into a game and tick of my achievement itch, PVE ugggh event pops in 2hrs, need 3 people for this or that. I'm not saying change anything in the game I'm just saying I love the speed that PVP can be played at.

I pvp for the same reasons -- and mainly to work on legendary armor.

I quit after S3 or S4, and coming back, PvP is much worse for my class -- I'm about 200 games in this season, and it really stopped being fun halfway through placements, but letting go of worrying about winning/losing helped a lot. I just play the games and not worry too much about the outcome. If I get better over time, or eles get buffed and become useful, great. Otherwise, PvP really is just pip grinding for most people; myself included.

> @"Cicada.6298" said:

> I pvp for the same reasons -- and mainly to work on legendary armor.

>

> I quit after S3 or S4, and coming back, PvP is much worse for my class -- I'm about 200 games in this season, and it really stopped being fun halfway through placements, but letting go of worrying about winning/losing helped a lot. I just play the games and not worry too much about the outcome. If I get better over time, or eles get buffed and become useful, great. Otherwise, PvP really is just pip grinding for most people; myself included.

This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

If anything, they should put PIPs into unranked (only on wins) and remove PIPs completely from ranked (since that is allegedly, according to people on these forums who are very anti team-q, for people who want true competition and not just farming goodies).

> @"pah.4931" said:

> This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

The only "sin" is that it is in the game at all. In a real MMORPG you would not have 5 man team instanced PvP in the first place as it is firstly not 'massively multiplayer' and secondly is instanced off outside off the persistent world in its own little minigame.

> @"zinkz.7045" said:

> > @"pah.4931" said:

> > This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

>

> The only "sin" is that it is in the game at all. In a real MMORPG you would not have 5 man team instanced PvP in the first place as it is firstly not 'massively multiplayer' and secondly is instanced off outside off the persistent world in its own little minigame.

>

Hmm. Interesting perspective. I don't agree with it entirely, but I respect the idea behind it.

For example, I would say REAL LIFE is fairly open world and also massively multiplayer. And yet, we have things like Hockey and Basketball, which are 5v5 minigames outside of the persistent world.

Boxing or MMA fighting... is that instanced content? ;)

I like pvp for two reasons:

1) If I don't feel like doing the regular dailies I can do a single match and easily complete my dailies. I'd say this happens more often than not.

2) It's really the only game mode where you can accurately assess how good you are at playing the game - the challenge of living opponents far outweighs pve content, and there's no kidding yourself. If I suck at something, I'd like to know it. Too often in life people believe they are more competent than they are. This leaves no room for that kind of self-deception. At least, not for me. There are definitely those who will cry and whine their way to the grave without ever accepting that they aren't better than everyone else, and unfortunately they all play pvp for some reason. But for my own gratification, I want the occasional opponent that isn't designed to be easily defeated.

> @"pah.4931" said:

> > @"zinkz.7045" said:

> > > @"pah.4931" said:

> > > This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

> >

> > The only "sin" is that it is in the game at all. In a real MMORPG you would not have 5 man team instanced PvP in the first place as it is firstly not 'massively multiplayer' and secondly is instanced off outside off the persistent world in its own little minigame.

> >

>

> Hmm. Interesting perspective. I don't agree with it entirely, but I respect the idea behind it.

>

> For example, I would say REAL LIFE is fairly open world and also massively multiplayer. And yet, we have things like Hockey and Basketball, which are 5v5 minigames outside of the persistent world.

>

> Boxing or MMA fighting... is that instanced content? ;)

That's some next level thinking right there sir.

> @"pah.4931" said:

> > @"Cicada.6298" said:

> > I pvp for the same reasons -- and mainly to work on legendary armor.

> >

> > I quit after S3 or S4, and coming back, PvP is much worse for my class -- I'm about 200 games in this season, and it really stopped being fun halfway through placements, but letting go of worrying about winning/losing helped a lot. I just play the games and not worry too much about the outcome. If I get better over time, or eles get buffed and become useful, great. Otherwise, PvP really is just pip grinding for most people; myself included.

>

> This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

>

> If anything, they should put PIPs into unranked (only on wins) and remove PIPs completely from ranked (since that is allegedly, according to people on these forums who are very anti team-q, for people who want true competition and not just farming goodies).

Ive made quite a few threads about this to be honest...

some points I went over was:

- On working days when I play, I resemble a zombie and mindlessly play at the expense of others while also losing rank

- Not being able to play with friends

- Excluding people from playing because you can only play with 1 friend, if someone is neglected too much they stop logging in.

- allowing players in an MMO to farm together without being detrimental to those who care about rank, this breeds extreme toxicity.

Unfortunately due to what I've just mentioned, all my PvP guilds have died out and I currently only log in to play PvP with the last friend I have that still plays this game, there used to be enough of us to form 3-4 teams at the same time.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"pah.4931" said:

> > > @"Cicada.6298" said:

> > > I pvp for the same reasons -- and mainly to work on legendary armor.

> > >

> > > I quit after S3 or S4, and coming back, PvP is much worse for my class -- I'm about 200 games in this season, and it really stopped being fun halfway through placements, but letting go of worrying about winning/losing helped a lot. I just play the games and not worry too much about the outcome. If I get better over time, or eles get buffed and become useful, great. Otherwise, PvP really is just pip grinding for most people; myself included.

> >

> > This is why the DESPERATELY need to add PIPs to unranked. I usually play with my two brothers and if we want to play together then we get "penalized" for it. This is a major sin in an MMO.

> >

> > If anything, they should put PIPs into unranked (only on wins) and remove PIPs completely from ranked (since that is allegedly, according to people on these forums who are very anti team-q, for people who want true competition and not just farming goodies).

>

> Ive made quite a few threads about this to be honest...

>

> some points I went over was:

> - On working days when I play, I resemble a zombie and mindlessly play at the expense of others while also losing rank

> - Not being able to play with friends

> - Excluding people from playing because you can only play with 1 friend, if someone is neglected too much they stop logging in.

> - allowing players in an MMO to farm together without being detrimental to those who care about rank, this breeds extreme toxicity.

>

> Unfortunately due to what I've just mentioned, all my PvP guilds have died out and I currently only log in to play PvP with the last friend I have that still plays this game, there used to be enough of us to form 3-4 teams at the same time.

>

It's kind of mind-boggling that they don't recognize it as a problem. I can just here them during their meetings:

"If we put PIPs into unranked then no one will play ranked."

Exactly! Very few people actually care about their personal rank -- especially in a game mode that was designed from the ground up for premade teams (this isn't 15v15 capture the flag) but doesn't allow teams. Stop trying to force it. Just let it be a semi-competitive place to kill others with friends and farm gold/cosmetic items.

At this point I wish they just combined Ranked and Unranked (no more ranks or leaderboards), only gave PIPs when you win a match, and supported ATs and other special tourneys with a new leaderboard for teams -- the true competitive mode. Oh well.