Is my Potatoe Pc fast enough to render 100 s of Warclaws?

Arcanaut.4158

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > @"lodjur.1284" said:

> > Mounts won't even slightly affect performance. I have no clue what would lead people to believe it would.

>

> That depends if it increase the drawcall or not.

First off it shouldn't increase it by a significant amount

Mounts won't often be active in combat

You can just turn down the unique model limit and it should have 0 effect (which won't even be a change from how it is now)

People on mounts also won't be spewing skill effects everywhere

Mounts have had almost no effect on FPS in PvE

> @"lodjur.1284" said:

> > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > @"lodjur.1284" said:

> > > Mounts won't even slightly affect performance. I have no clue what would lead people to believe it would.

> >

> > That depends if it increase the drawcall or not.

>

> First off it shouldn't increase it by a significant amount

>

> Mounts won't often be active in combat

>

> You can just turn down the unique model limit and it should have 0 effect (which won't even be a change from how it is now)

>

> People on mounts also won't be spewing skill effects everywhere

>

> Mounts have had almost no effect on FPS in PvE

"almost"

So there is impact eh?

In WvW, everything are pushed to the extreme. It is good to be optimistic, we have to see when it comes out.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> Sigh. I started my own post about this but will insert this here: they byline implies you have to have a catmander tag to get the mount. That will slow its adoption, if not halt it immediately. A catmander tag is, what, 300G? If, of course, we take the byline literally.

God I hope not. I purposely don't have catmander tag so me and my buddies can run invisible tag.

> @"Samug.6512" said:

> You guys just wait for the sweet sweet glimmering shiny supernovas of mount skins to arrive!

There's no possibility the Warclaw will be the only mount that doesn't have skins available. The prospect of selling skins for it is the primary reason to spend developer's time creating it. Why bother otherwise?

It's conceivable that, if performance in WvW was a specific issue due to Warclaws having skins, the skins could be blocked from displaying in WvW. Many other visual effects are. If the Warclaw's skills are WvW-specific, though, it would most likely have limited appeal in PvE (always assuming it can be used in PvE) so restricting skins to PvE use would heavily impact their sales, I would imagine.

I'd bet that the Warclaw will have the same range of skins for sale on the Gem store as any other mount. What impact those will have on framerate or skill lag in WvW remains to be seen but given the already insanely long loading times I imagine it will be catastrophic.

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > @"lodjur.1284" said:

> > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > @"lodjur.1284" said:

> > > > Mounts won't even slightly affect performance. I have no clue what would lead people to believe it would.

> > >

> > > That depends if it increase the drawcall or not.

> >

> > First off it shouldn't increase it by a significant amount

> >

> > Mounts won't often be active in combat

> >

> > You can just turn down the unique model limit and it should have 0 effect (which won't even be a change from how it is now)

> >

> > People on mounts also won't be spewing skill effects everywhere

> >

> > Mounts have had almost no effect on FPS in PvE

>

> "almost"

> So there is impact eh?

>

> In WvW, everything are pushed to the extreme. It is good to be optimistic, we have to see when it comes out.

Almost as in I (or anyone I have talked to for that matter) haven't noticed it even remotely. That performance might change by a few points per million I don't debate, but that isn't even affecting it slightly, which you know you're just trying to take things out of their context, which is fine and all but a bit pointless and silly.

It isn't being optimistic, it is being realistic. A few extra models won't really affect anything, not more than adding an extra few guards would (and the lag certainly doesn't disappear as soon as the guards die).

> @"tom.4051" said:

> OK guys let's move out!

>

> 50 players jump on mounts.

> Game client crashes.

> Disconnected from server.

> 40th in queue.

> Oh wait my queue popped, guess everyone else on the map tried to use their new mount, lol.

>

> OK guys get on your mounts, ONE AT A TIME!

>

> OK guys the enemy zerg is just ahead!

> Render enemy players and mounts

> Game client crashes.

>

> OK guys we're back on the map, we've all mounted up, the enemy is ahead of us again, Anet released an update to "fix a server crash" let's hope it's this mount bug, Let's do this!

> All players attack and get dismounted

> Game client crashes.

embraces more client crashes for sure--including more headache reports. resulting in players walking away due to frustrations from the game= more population decline

Technically there should not be much of a difference. In terms of programming a mount is nothing else as a transformation like necro shroud, warrior rampage etc.

When you use your mount the game has not to process more load on the cpu except the polygons for player+mount but not calculations (skill usage, damage, boons etc.) which are the main reason for lag issues. So draw call requirements may become a bit higher, but that's it.