"Starter" mount for core players?

> @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > > So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> >

> > Tell your friend to buy PoF maybe?

>

> He has POF now, I bought it for him. Some players do not want to go right in to spending another 60 on an expansion before they even know if they are going to like playing the core game.

You are a good friend! The game needs more people like you!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Reis.4017" said:

> Edit: Dont come to me with "They should buy the expansions like we did because expansions are PoF content as Gliders are HoT Content". No. Mounts are movements content as gliders. Because they can be used in the core game. Boucing mushrooms and Nuhoch Wallows are HoT content and Volatile Magic Ressonance is a PoF content.

The argument is that mounts are a selling point for PoF. Any sort of formal mount reduces the incentive to pay for PoF by making it comparatively less important/attractive. This isn't about "purity of purpose;" it's simply not in ANet's financial interest

So. . .they got the whole core game that many of us paid for, for free (with some rather slight restrictions - see other MMOs with a freemium model). And they still want more?

Maybe buy HoT/PoF instead. You are playing an unlimited free trial that cost most of us 30-40 dollars.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but this definitely screams "entitled ftp gamers" to me.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> 'They' somehow were able to purchase a Heroic Edition (not sure where or how), and thus, are not a Play4Free player.

>

> I'm not sure how 'they' would have to spend _another_ $60 dollars, though. Are Heroic Editions (last given out as a promotional item free) and Path of Fire expansions costing $60 somewhere??

He got the heroic edition from me. I purchased the collectors edition at launch so had no use for the code. POF = $29.99 plus HOT = $20 = $49.99 + tax which comes to roughly $60. There are many players, including several of my friends, who are story driven and do not want to skip content. I had to argue a bit with this specific friend to jump to POF to get the mount in the first place. It's really amazing, I suggested the idea of a core default mount just as an idea, but asked for any other suggestions. Only 1 poster bothered to actually give a constructive solution to my friends issue. I should have known better then to even ask or try to open a constructive discussion. Just trying to get more players to join the game, but I guess no one really wants that.

> @"Aplethoraof.2643" said:

> So. . .they got the whole core game that many of us paid for, for free (with some rather slight restrictions - see other MMOs with a freemium model). And they still want more?

>

> Maybe buy HoT/PoF instead. You are playing an unlimited free trial that cost most of us 30-40 dollars.

>

> Maybe I'm being harsh, but this definitely screams "entitled ftp gamers" to me.

They got NOTHING for free. I paid cash for the game just like you.

Because I gifted it to him makes no difference what so ever, its STILL a full paid account just like the rest of you paid for.