Engie balance patch notes preview - gyros get reworked

stone cold.8609

> @"Dediggefedde.4961" said:

> Is watchful eye of bulwark still the old 33%?

> Is all 33% transfered to the engineer?

>

> I used it today (we had 110 queue on all borders, so first in RdN ^^) and didn't notice a damage increase while doing a meelee bomb.

> So far it feels really nice, since you stunlock people with it's lightning-field+hammer-3, which gives you AoE superspeed and solo-stability (shocking speed + kinetic stabilizer), which grants more self-heal (rapid regen) and passive group heal (mdf).

I'm curious about this as well... I'm hoping that we can figure out the amount at some point or get a dev to give us the actual number...

Regardless, I really like these gyro changes. I haven't used gyros in forever due to mostly their pathing issues and just the general frustration when using them. Only one I had really used before was bulwark since it had a 600 range. I do hope to see some cool builds soon!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking speed is shockingly (hehe) a good trait option now. The radius increase is required to support people with gyros, and the 5 sec duration SS brings back super speed sharing with a vengeance (especially for groups of 5). Bulwark has good synergy with this trait, the hammer and rapid regeneration. The spec seems somewhat coherent now which is great (i still dislike the new GM though).

I misunderstood the bulwark change earlier, i thought it was going to be barrier applied to everyone in a small amount, but this solution is more like what i was hoping for, the reason for the engineer to transfer the damage to him is the massive barrier he himself gets. 10k on a 20 sec cooldown is nothing to sneeze at. As for shredder it is still pretty meh. Blasty was honestly more effective earlier when it had a 15 sec cooldown and you could chase people with it or blow it up in peoples face. The big, BIG tell implies its going to deal a massive amount of damage or that it should have a fairly short cooldown, but it got even more of a tell than BOB with much less damage. The countdown visual is well designed though from a competitive perspective. It also didn't seem to proc shocking speed on detonation (bug).

The big bug at the moment though is watchful eye from bulwark applying to objects and pets. If you activate it near a wall or gate getting siged you can take 35k damage from one attack like i did to test this. ^^

This bug was here with bulwark gyro as an npc, but it mattered less that a throwaway minion died than that you did. I just needed to verify that the behavior persisted and it did.

> @"miriforst.1290" said:

> The big bug at the moment though is watchful eye from bulwark applying to objects and pets. If you activate it near a wall or gate getting siged you can take 35k damage from one attack like i did to test this. ^^

That seems... Impossible. No siege does that amount of damage in one hit. And thats the *reduced* damage, so the siege would have hit the wall for like 100K? Lol. It would be nice to two-shot walls with trebs.

Something must be broken if you got that from one hit. Or some wierd percentage base on max hp.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"miriforst.1290" said:

> > The big bug at the moment though is watchful eye from bulwark applying to objects and pets. If you activate it near a wall or gate getting siged you can take 35k damage from one attack like i did to test this. ^^

> That seems... Impossible. No siege does that amount of damage in one hit. And thats the *reduced* damage, so the siege would have hit the wall for like 100K? Lol. It would be nice to two-shot walls with trebs.

>

> Something must be broken if you got that from one hit. Or some wierd percentage base on max hp.

Might be that walls have enormous amounts of toughness, but that i don't. The damage transferred is possibly done before armor is taken into account similar to how bulwark gyro (which made it explode super fast as it had about zero armor) used to. I tested this the first weeks of HOT, i let a friend damage me with pulmonary impact which deals a static amount of damage, and the damage on the gyro matched that of a player playing without armor. So we came to the conclusion that even while supposedly evenly split, since the gyro has no armor it takes much, much more damage than the player even in zerker. Problem is that walls and gates have a big amount of damage reduction, so if something deals a decent hit against the wall it would obliterate me who is relatively paper compared to it.

So in short damage transfer is done before damage reductions from armor and toughness etc.

[https://imgur.com/a/pVXBnK4](https://imgur.com/a/pVXBnK4 "https://imgur.com/a/pVXBnK4")

>Did the wall take less damage?

>Having a rezz-happy zerg in your back, you could reduce wall damage by 55% with two scrappers (if 33% per gyro)

This was better done with the old gyro, and i did it occasionally when there was critical stages of an enemy siege since the effect used to persist for around 4 seconds after the gyro died and back then you didn't have to sacrifice yourself. Boy do i have a knack for finding bugs and odd mechanics everywhere i go?

regarding maybe broken mechanics:

sneak gyro gives 6 pulses of 3s stealth resulting in 18s stealth.

if you make a build with 5 blast finishers (shield, medikit, bombkit, elixirgun, flamethrower, sneak gyro), you get an additional 15s stealth.

Choosing low-CD blast-finishers and bomb-kit gives another smoke field with 3 blast finishers (6-9s stealth).

So with blast-stops every 20ish seconds, you could go perma-invis for 5 people without them blasting the field.

Sounds like thief with pistol in one set and shortbow in the other.

Keep in mind the way stealth stacks though, blasting too much in one field and you will loose stacks after 5. And ridiculous stealth duration when bringing multiple smoke fields, s and sneak gyro isn't really that new.

I agree its still very strong, but lets not pop the sirens on our roofs just yet.

> regarding maybe broken mechanics:

> sneak gyro gives 6 pulses of 3s stealth resulting in 18s stealth.

> if you make a build with 5 blast finishers (shield, medikit, bombkit, elixirgun, flamethrower, sneak gyro), you get an additional 15s stealth.

> Choosing low-CD blast-finishers and bomb-kit gives another smoke field with 3 blast finishers (6-9s stealth).

> So with blast-stops every 20ish seconds, you could go perma-invis for 5 people without them blasting the field.

looks like a meme build at best

> regarding maybe broken mechanics:

> sneak gyro gives 6 pulses of 3s stealth resulting in 18s stealth.

> if you make a build with 5 blast finishers (shield, medikit, bombkit, elixirgun, flamethrower, sneak gyro), you get an additional 15s stealth.

> Choosing low-CD blast-finishers and bomb-kit gives another smoke field with 3 blast finishers (6-9s stealth).

> So with blast-stops every 20ish seconds, you could go perma-invis for 5 people without them blasting the field.

This is unfortunately wrong

If you actually log in and use Sneak Gyro and then Acid Bomb+Rocket Charge through it, you get 21s of stealth, instead of 27s or the 33s of stealth you're theorycrafting.

In practice you can only increase the base 18s of stealth by 3 seconds, with any amount of leaps/blasts. This is due to stealth capping at 5 applications.

> @"ApaWanka.2698" said:

> For what I can read, the patch notes about Burwark gyro said "redirect SOME damage".

>

> Up to my knowledge, even if we don't know the value, that "SOME" exclude the 100% value. of the group damage.

>

> So, burlwark+Elixirs is not group invul (that would be broken) o other things mentioned before. We don't even know if that effect can go through ElixirS (like overheat)

>

> My guess is that will be between 33% to 50% of the damage and I hope that that damage could be reduced via prot+barrier. But that's just my guess.

I did a quick 30min over lunch time, had some nice fights. Full Minstrel but poor squad comp, I was able to push through enemy bomb / necro spam with Bulwark on and never dropped below 75% while spamming Medikit. The barriers seemed sufficient to absorb most of the incoming damage. Granted my squad clouded, so hard to say how much damage I'd take if we were stacked and the enemy bomb was coordinated. We shall see soon enough.

So far luv luv loving the new Gyro changes.