Why I've Been Spending Less in Game...

I haven't been logging in nearly as much nowadays because GW2, the game of "don't wait to have fun", makes me wait an unfathomable, unacceptable amount. It emphasizes "grind" over engagement, and it tries to hold my attention prisoner for a tiny digital shiny.

The waiting is even worse if I want to try achievements (many of which are poorly handled or conceived...).

And for every "thing" I want to do in the game, every pleasant little reward, there's a checklist. I have Checklist Fatigue. Collections were a great tool, but now they're overused, inflated to 40+ steps and menus within menus. It makes figuring out what I want to *do* at any given time a frustrating chore.

> @"Stormcrow.7513" said:

> Personally I don't play the game much anymore because there isn't much to do.

> I DON'T care about AP.

> I DON'T care about gold that much anymore(I find myself "toileting" gold for precursor gambling for fun).

> I DO want to do raids but they are so exclusive that I don't even know where to begin. Not to mention I can't commit to doing a run at a specific time each week.

> I DID like doing dungeon runs because they were fun but I do them now just for the achievement, title and mostly boredom.

>

> I know that Raids were supposed to be the FOW/UW/DOA of GW2 but they are far far too exclusive and the community has made it so that people don't want to bother.

> It is too bad really because this game had so much potential to be more amazing than GW1.

Its not that hard to break into, i have been playing 3 months and started raiding 3 weeks ago. You just need to get in a guild that does it, not all guilds are elitist, but ofc you have to start at the beginning also. You cant expect to be carried, so start with a progression guild thats working on clearing bosses. And im sure there is a good amount of raid teams running dif days and times. My guild does.

I think currencies are kinda standard for MMOs now-a-days. It's to limit progress to certain content.

In FFXIV, if I recall, to obtain/craft/upgrade certain gear, you have to do certain difficulty dungeons that grant the proper currency. Once you get the desired reward, you can use the currencies on other things but ultimately you'll need to move on to other content and currencies to get the next desired reward.

Blade and Soul does this too by requiring certain stuff for upgrades as well as lock the next level piece of gear in a box obtained in certain content that then requires keys (usually obtained from the same content but you can also just buy the key with cash) but where currencies come in are the materials you gain from the multi-player dungeons, the faction PvP events, the ranked PvP rewards and time-gated crafted items.

Ultimately, the purpose is always to funnel players into certain content to get certain rewards and to time-gate them so it takes a decided amount of time to get.

I'd be curious if players have some ideas on other ways to accomplish these goals other than how Anet is doing it now. I suppose they could "group" certain content together so you can do any of them and get the same currency, but you're still going to get an outcome where players funnel even harder into specific content and ignore other content.

Well, I think the approach you take is entirely your choice. I never felt any obligation to do all the new content with each addition, so I still bounce back and forth between all the maps and do whatever I feel like. The only reason people feel a 'grind' is because they set themselves the goal of 'completing' each new area as it gets released. That's a matter of choice.