To Anet : what the community REALLY wants.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming.

> >

> > Na. I play MMO for the PvP experience, since those are basically the only games where you controle a character on 3rd person view with many spells and lots of counterplay, as opposed to "I shoot once, headshot, you're dead lol xd" or 5 buttons MOBAs. Back when WoW was still good, I would spend hours dueling, doing BGs and arena and I'd have lots of fun without bothering with PvE and open world content.

>

> /looks at population of sPvP and WvW

> /compares to population of people playing open world.

>

> /shrug. There are always some people who go to a steakhouse and order the fish plate.

The harder the game mode, the fewer people will be playing it. It's only natural.

RTS games are less popular than MMOs, who are less popular than MOBAs, who are less popular than shooters. So, inside a MMO, there will be fewer people doing PvP or hardcore raiding. Still, for those who do enjoy it, there is no other option and if you deprive us of that, we're left with nothing to enjoy and no back-up game.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming.

> > >

> > > Na. I play MMO for the PvP experience, since those are basically the only games where you controle a character on 3rd person view with many spells and lots of counterplay, as opposed to "I shoot once, headshot, you're dead lol xd" or 5 buttons MOBAs. Back when WoW was still good, I would spend hours dueling, doing BGs and arena and I'd have lots of fun without bothering with PvE and open world content.

> >

> > /looks at population of sPvP and WvW

> > /compares to population of people playing open world.

> >

> > /shrug. There are always some people who go to a steakhouse and order the fish plate.

>

> The harder the game mode, the fewer people will be playing it. It's only natural.

> RTS games are less popular than MMOs, who are less popular than MOBAs, who are less popular than shooters. So, inside a MMO, there will be fewer people doing PvP or hardcore raiding. Still, for those who do enjoy it, there is no other option and if you deprive us of that, we're left with nothing to enjoy and no back-up game.

that's only half true and the reallity is way more complicated then that. and a BR mode is not the way to solve your actual issue.

also why not just play gw2 when you want to play gw2 and play a BR game when you want to play a BR game instead of turning gw2 into a BR game?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming.

> > >

> > > Na. I play MMO for the PvP experience, since those are basically the only games where you controle a character on 3rd person view with many spells and lots of counterplay, as opposed to "I shoot once, headshot, you're dead lol xd" or 5 buttons MOBAs. Back when WoW was still good, I would spend hours dueling, doing BGs and arena and I'd have lots of fun without bothering with PvE and open world content.

> >

> > /looks at population of sPvP and WvW

> > /compares to population of people playing open world.

> >

> > /shrug. There are always some people who go to a steakhouse and order the fish plate.

>

> The harder the game mode, the fewer people will be playing it. It's only natural.

> RTS games are less popular than MMOs, who are less popular than MOBAs, who are less popular than shooters. So, inside a MMO, there will be fewer people doing PvP or hardcore raiding. Still, for those who do enjoy it, there is no other option and if you deprive us of that, we're left with nothing to enjoy and no back-up game.

So, the harder the content and the more specialized it is the fewer mmo players will be doing it. If not many people in an mmo are going to play it then that’s not a good recommendation for ANet to spend money on developing such new content.

However if you need a back up game then here’s a list of upcoming and new Battle Royale games dedicated to that play style: https://www.pcgamer.com/battle-royale-games-2018/

> also why not just play gw2 when you want to play gw2 and play a BR game when you want to play a BR game instead of turning gw2 into a BR game?

Because 1) other games don't play like GW2. I don't like most BR because they're shooters and I don't like losing because the guy just spotted me first and hit me in the head. There's no counterplay to that, which makes it worthless from a competitive POV in my opinion.

2) I'm not suggesting to "TURN GW2 INTO A BR", just to have a queue option for such a mode. You wouldn't have to play it, just like you don't have to play Arenas right now. Yet, you don't ask for the removal of arena, do you ? So why would you be opposed to the addition of a feature that some would enjoy, and that wouldn't affect you in the slightest ?

> If not many people in an mmo are going to play it then that’s not a good recommendation for ANet to spend money on developing such new content.

You could shut down every single niche activity with that statement, maybe even RP. The strenght of MMOs is that there are multiple ways to play them, you can enjoy one aspect of it and choose to focus on that. Some people only play for the Fashion Wars, some for PvE, some for the story, some for map discovery, and so on. So why can't I enjoy my good ol' PvP ?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > also why not just play gw2 when you want to play gw2 and play a BR game when you want to play a BR game instead of turning gw2 into a BR game?

>

> Because 1) other games don't play like GW2. I don't like most BR because they're shooters and I don't like losing because the guy just spotted me first and hit me in the head. There's no counterplay to that, which makes it worthless from a competitive POV in my opinion.

> 2) I'm not suggesting to "TURN GW2 INTO A BR", just to have a queue option for such a mode. You wouldn't have to play it, just like you don't have to play Arenas right now. Yet, you don't ask for the removal of arena, do you ? So why would you be opposed to the addition of a feature that some would enjoy, and that wouldn't affect you in the slightest ?

BR will always be worthless from a competitive POV because of the number of players

a BR mode would have negative repercussions for the other modes. (wasted resources and balance spring immediately to mind) further more a BR just wouldn't work with the current classes/mechanics and would require massive reworks to everything. and if you suggest to make those things unique to the BR mode you might as well just make a new game at that point.

that is if you want a BR mode on the same level as pvp and wvw, if you want it as a simple side activity, good news: there already is it's "Southsun Survival"

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > If not many people in an mmo are going to play it then that’s not a good recommendation for ANet to spend money on developing such new content.

>

> You could shut down every single niche activity with that statement, maybe even RP. The strenght of MMOs is that there are multiple ways to play them, you can enjoy one aspect of it and choose to focus on that. Some people only play for the Fashion Wars, some for PvE, some for the story, some for map discovery, and so on. So why can't I enjoy my good ol' PvP ?

So, go play Southsun Survival. Get lots of other PvP players playing it then petition ANet on the forum with suggestions on how to improve it. Getting lots of players to play the Battle Royale the game already has and to suggest improvements for it is more likely to work than asking for a _second_ Battle Royale.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > If not many people in an mmo are going to play it then that’s not a good recommendation for ANet to spend money on developing such new content.

> >

> > You could shut down every single niche activity with that statement, maybe even RP. The strenght of MMOs is that there are multiple ways to play them, you can enjoy one aspect of it and choose to focus on that. Some people only play for the Fashion Wars, some for PvE, some for the story, some for map discovery, and so on. So why can't I enjoy my good ol' PvP ?

>

> So, go play Southsun Survival. Get lots of other PvP players playing it then petition ANet on the forum with suggestions on how to improve it. Getting lots of players to play the Battle Royale the game already has and to suggest improvements for it is more likely to work than asking for a _second_ Battle Royale.

Or we could ask for more activity support (like adding contribution to pvp reward tracks or gold). That said, I'm of the opinion that southsun survival needs replacement or an overhaul if it were to be treated as a true compeditive activity. As it stands, survivors are resented for surviving (making the game longer) and people tend to afk their dailies there.

Still, southsun survival doesn't really fulfill my "everyone vs everyone" pvp itch.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > > If not many people in an mmo are going to play it then that’s not a good recommendation for ANet to spend money on developing such new content.

> > >

> > > You could shut down every single niche activity with that statement, maybe even RP. The strenght of MMOs is that there are multiple ways to play them, you can enjoy one aspect of it and choose to focus on that. Some people only play for the Fashion Wars, some for PvE, some for the story, some for map discovery, and so on. So why can't I enjoy my good ol' PvP ?

> >

> > So, go play Southsun Survival. Get lots of other PvP players playing it then petition ANet on the forum with suggestions on how to improve it. Getting lots of players to play the Battle Royale the game already has and to suggest improvements for it is more likely to work than asking for a _second_ Battle Royale.

>

> Or we could ask for more activity support (like adding contribution to pvp reward tracks or gold). That said, I'm of the opinion that southsun survival needs replacement or an overhaul if it were to be treated as a true compeditive activity. As it stands, survivors are resented for surviving (making the game longer) and people tend to afk their dailies there.

>

> Still, southsun survival doesn't really fulfill my "everyone vs everyone" pvp itch.

It’s reasonable to ask for updates/improvements for what is already in the game but to ask for a second version is less reasonable, especially if what the game already has is not popular. If the original doesn’t have the player base to support the cost of upgrades then why should ANet put time and money on a new version.

Again, if players want a Battle Royale they should play the one that’s in game already and push for upgrades to make it what they enjoy, not ask for a second version of the same thing,