Tempest still trash level

Arheundel.6451

im playing tempest in pvp in just fine (plat 2, so not highest tier but top 100-200 mostly)

you are comparing it to firebrand but the role, even though both support, is somewhat different but it's definitely no replacement

firebrand has tomes which are ofc much better but tempest has better sustained healing and cleanses, both classes can maintain your team just fine - just situational it's different because of the burst from tomes.

tempest advantages: more mobile, ranged support, sustained support, insane rez, CC output (chill, auras, area denial)

now firebrand support is pretty limited to close range, but also packs a little more power when needed due to tomes - this makes it great pairing with the best team fighter.....a scourge. Definitely meta to play

for ranked i like tempest much more, support from safer distance, not worrying if your teammates run out of reach - problem firebrand has in unorganized teams - for AT firebrand takes a dedicated spot and is for sure meta

btw it's not like firebrand is this godly anti-cc and as for a scourge enemy, it melds much quicker than a tempest does - a scourge absolutely shreds firebrands whereas tempest can get away much easier and can put chill field from 1500 range to limit scourge potential to begin with.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Koen.1327" said:

> im playing tempest in pvp in just fine (plat 2, so not highest tier but top 100-200 mostly)

> you are comparing it to firebrand but the role, even though both support, is somewhat different but it's definitely no replacement

>

> firebrand has tomes which are ofc much better but tempest has better sustained healing and cleanses, both classes can maintain your team just fine - just situational it's different because of the burst from tomes.

>

> tempest advantages: more mobile, ranged support, sustained support, insane rez, CC output (chill, auras, area denial)

> now firebrand support is pretty limited to close range, but also packs a little more power when needed due to tomes - this makes it great pairing with the best team fighter.....a scourge. Definitely meta to play

>

> for ranked i like tempest much more, support from safer distance, not worrying if your teammates run out of reach - problem firebrand has in unorganized teams - for AT firebrand takes a dedicated spot and is for sure meta

>

> btw it's not like firebrand is this godly anti-cc and as for a scourge enemy, it melds much quicker than a tempest does - a scourge absolutely shreds firebrands whereas tempest can get away much easier and can put chill field from 1500 range to limit scourge potential to begin with.

>

>

Except that all of Tempest's skills are basically as melee (i.e. they have similar range) as firebrand's. Note that I said Tempest, not Ele -- this means Overloads and Shouts and not weapon skills. Only the Shouts have about 1.3~2x more range compared to firebrand's Mantras. It is not any easier to support your teammates as tempest from range than it is on firebrand. If you actually want to keep them alive by healing/clearing condis for them, you still have to get close to them.

Tempest would actually be good if it can actually provide nontrivial support from far away (i.e. 900+ range), but Anet just love their melee mage design on the squishiest class with high cast times (which is a terrible design imo).

and any staff eles in pvp is useless when focused btw (you either get farmed or you cant do any useful support because all you're doing is running away), doesn't matter how tanky you make it.

> @"LazySummer.2568" said:

> > @"Koen.1327" said:

> > im playing tempest in pvp in just fine (plat 2, so not highest tier but top 100-200 mostly)

> > you are comparing it to firebrand but the role, even though both support, is somewhat different but it's definitely no replacement

> >

> > firebrand has tomes which are ofc much better but tempest has better sustained healing and cleanses, both classes can maintain your team just fine - just situational it's different because of the burst from tomes.

> >

> > tempest advantages: more mobile, ranged support, sustained support, insane rez, CC output (chill, auras, area denial)

> > now firebrand support is pretty limited to close range, but also packs a little more power when needed due to tomes - this makes it great pairing with the best team fighter.....a scourge. Definitely meta to play

> >

> > for ranked i like tempest much more, support from safer distance, not worrying if your teammates run out of reach - problem firebrand has in unorganized teams - for AT firebrand takes a dedicated spot and is for sure meta

> >

> > btw it's not like firebrand is this godly anti-cc and as for a scourge enemy, it melds much quicker than a tempest does - a scourge absolutely shreds firebrands whereas tempest can get away much easier and can put chill field from 1500 range to limit scourge potential to begin with.

> >

> >

>

> Except that all of Tempest's skills are basically as melee (i.e. they have similar range) as firebrand's. Note that I said Tempest, not Ele -- this means Overloads and Shouts and not weapon skills. Only the Shouts have about 1.3~2x more range compared to firebrand's Mantras. It is not any easier to support your teammates as tempest from range than it is on firebrand. If you actually want to keep them alive by healing/clearing condis for them, you still have to get close to them.

>

> Tempest would actually be good if it can actually provide nontrivial support from far away (i.e. 900+ range), but Anet just love their melee mage design on the squishiest class with high cast times (which is a terrible design imo).

>

> and any staff eles in pvp is useless when focused btw (you either get farmed or you cant do any useful support because all you're doing is running away), doesn't matter how tanky you make it.

>

i do run staff in pvp, and i have success with it hence i made this post and explained why

the build is NOT to babysit a curses scourge and all other classes don't require melee support so you can stay at a distance just fine.

you can cleanse condition from 1600+ range, providing heal, boons, chill and auras from at least 1500 range away.

Also fb mantras have 180 radius whereas freeze shout has 600 radius, so it more than 3x more range. Overloads also have double the range than mantras but they are more situational because they have stunbreaks on them and have increased cooldown. FB tomes are better however.

indeed all you're doing is running away/around, but since you can cast/support without facing them you can do both at the same time. With nearly perm chill on your enemy, great mobility yourself, having -50% dmg reduction, i have no problems surviving and i can still support my team while kiting. This is my experience in plat 2 pvp though im not sure anymore what your definition of useless is

> @"Koen.1327" said:

> > @"LazySummer.2568" said:

> > > @"Koen.1327" said:

> > > im playing tempest in pvp in just fine (plat 2, so not highest tier but top 100-200 mostly)

> > > you are comparing it to firebrand but the role, even though both support, is somewhat different but it's definitely no replacement

> > >

> > > firebrand has tomes which are ofc much better but tempest has better sustained healing and cleanses, both classes can maintain your team just fine - just situational it's different because of the burst from tomes.

> > >

> > > tempest advantages: more mobile, ranged support, sustained support, insane rez, CC output (chill, auras, area denial)

> > > now firebrand support is pretty limited to close range, but also packs a little more power when needed due to tomes - this makes it great pairing with the best team fighter.....a scourge. Definitely meta to play

> > >

> > > for ranked i like tempest much more, support from safer distance, not worrying if your teammates run out of reach - problem firebrand has in unorganized teams - for AT firebrand takes a dedicated spot and is for sure meta

> > >

> > > btw it's not like firebrand is this godly anti-cc and as for a scourge enemy, it melds much quicker than a tempest does - a scourge absolutely shreds firebrands whereas tempest can get away much easier and can put chill field from 1500 range to limit scourge potential to begin with.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Except that all of Tempest's skills are basically as melee (i.e. they have similar range) as firebrand's. Note that I said Tempest, not Ele -- this means Overloads and Shouts and not weapon skills. Only the Shouts have about 1.3~2x more range compared to firebrand's Mantras. It is not any easier to support your teammates as tempest from range than it is on firebrand. If you actually want to keep them alive by healing/clearing condis for them, you still have to get close to them.

> >

> > Tempest would actually be good if it can actually provide nontrivial support from far away (i.e. 900+ range), but Anet just love their melee mage design on the squishiest class with high cast times (which is a terrible design imo).

> >

> > and any staff eles in pvp is useless when focused btw (you either get farmed or you cant do any useful support because all you're doing is running away), doesn't matter how tanky you make it.

> >

>

> i do run staff in pvp, and i have success with it hence i made this post and explained why

>

> the build is NOT to babysit a curses scourge and all other classes don't require melee support so you can stay at a distance just fine.

> you can cleanse condition from 1600+ range, providing heal, boons, chill and auras from at least 1500 range away.

> Also fb mantras have 180 radius whereas freeze shout has 600 radius, so it more than 3x more range. Overloads also have double the range than mantras but they are more situational because they have stunbreaks on them and have increased cooldown. FB tomes are better however.

>

> indeed all you're doing is running away/around, but since you can cast/support without facing them you can do both at the same time. With nearly perm chill on your enemy, great mobility yourself, having -50% dmg reduction, i have no problems surviving and i can still support my team while kiting. This is my experience in plat 2 pvp though im not sure anymore what your definition of useless is

You don't get it at all......anybody can make up a non meta build go in pvp beat some random cuckaroo and claim magnificence after that, especially in the current state of the game when you get people in platinum division who still triple cap close..the very aim of pvp division lost its value years ago.

Something becomes meta when **reward greatly outstrip effort** and most times than not meta build can be stacked together for double or triple reward and 1/3 of the initial effort which was already close to zero...nobody gives you a special reward for running something requiring 3x the effort for less reward.

The game has been powercreeped to death and you lot instead than ask to join the arm race..decide to play the old way, playing an ele these days it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight, no matter how skilled you are with the knife, a total idiot with a gun can one shot you from distance in all safety..true story

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing about tempest is magnetic aura build. It's pretty hilarious watching ranged classes blow themselves up, however It is gimmicky at best if you come up against groups that run tight meta. And yet, ANet is going to nerf it...lol.

Shocking aura = ok if you use against pugs that don't have stab, which are few and far between.

Frost aura = damage reduction always good.

Fire aura = pointless in wvw, and you have to leap through a field fire to get. Fire aura requires person it is applied to be hit by a target in order to get the might boon. Problem is that even though tempest supposed to be a close range fighter, there is no way you will survive close anything when faced with a meta group, even stacked with minstrel gear. So if you hang out on fringe applying fire auras chances are the might boon won't proc because you're not getting hit. So, pretty useless.

Light aura = ok heal I guess, but you gotta leap through a light field to get.

Chaos aura = eh, OK I guess, but again you have to leap through an ethereal field to get.

Magnetic aura = hilarious skill that help eliminate pirate ship a bit, and a pretty good damage avoidance skill.

This is based off using dagger/warhorn build using 'powerful aura' (share auras to 5 others), 'elemental shielding' (protection boon), 'elemental bastion' (auras heal when applied and a frost aura when health hits 75%), 'invigorating torrents' (regen and vigor boons) . And 'unstable conduit' of course.

If ANet removes leap finisher from magnetic leap then all the auras listed above that you have to jump through will be gone. Thus all the boons and heals will be gone too even though the aura itself may be lame. In other words; NERF.

I somewhat understood when they removed light aura from Radiance Runes as you could heal then apply protection, vigor, regen and another heal with the press of a button, but it wasn't THAT strong. Regardless I think auras are bugging ANet, because they are exempt from boon stripping necros, even though that necro build may be dead now but that's why I built my auramancer in the first place; a way to support your team without everything being stripped or converted.

Also, when using magnetic leap through an fire, ice, light, ethereal field I've never been able to determine how the aura is chosen when all 4 fields are down at once; seems to be random selection.

Even more gripe: I just got my legendary warhorn about 2 months ago. Took me forever to get, been playing since beta and have never had a legendary and now with the prospect of it becoming nerfed it just makes me pretty upset.

In wvw you'll die. A well played team build scourge would kill you easily kill you 1v1, without any effort. If you don't believe me go fight Helly from VT, that guy is a beast. I don't think any ele base wvw roamer would have an easy time toughing him in a team fight let alone 1v1. Too many barriers to chip through let alone HP and the boon destruction you'll eat. Ele is not meta it's the rotations and you simpley being like 3 times better than the guy your are fighting or the enemy class has zero mobility, sustain or damage.