Idea: Renown Heart unlock

Map completion is a huge part of legendary making. Waypoint unlocks already make it easier by allowing people to go directly to any location. To cut out the biggest part of map completion is a huge no from me.

And I've map completed on more characters than I can count on one hand and intend to map complete on every single one of my characters eventually.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> Illconceived, you're treating his statement as a logical or mathematical equation. I think he meant it philosophically or metaphysically.

I had to google metaphysics to make sense of that comment. It said that metaphysics is abstract theory with no basis in reality. I’m going to say you’re right. His post about how playing the game isn’t actually playing the game _is_ an abstract theory with no basis in reality.

Thanks for clearing it up. :)

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> And I've map completed on more characters than I can count on one hand and intend to map complete on every single one of my characters eventually.

And I contend that THIS is the reason for many of the objections to this idea. "I had to do it, so so should you."

My contention is that the game is dying unless ANet can somehow generate new revenue.

Now, they already know how many new players are joining the community of players. And that number is obviously declining. So, not only do they need new revenue, they need to acquire it from old players. Other than new content (which just got a lot harder to produce), this means new sales of items.

The game is dying? Seems we've heard that for the last 5 years; and yet, the game is still here. And why, pray tell, is new content now 'harder to produce'?

Also, if this item was 'pretty cheap', how would it generate revenue? 'Pretty cheap' items are easily acquired with in-game gold. ArenaNet did state that the more inexpensive offering on the Gem Store didn't generate much revenue.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> And I contend that THIS is the reason for many of the objections to this idea. "I had to do it, so so should you."

>

> My contention is that the game is dying unless ANet can somehow generate new revenue.

>

> Now, they already know how many new players are joining the community of players. And that number is obviously declining. So, not only do they need new revenue, they need to acquire it from old players. Other than new content (which just got a lot harder to produce), this means new sales of items.

Obviously declining? Where is your evidence? Where are the facts? If this is determined by your observation, then this is pure conjecture.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > And I've map completed on more characters than I can count on one hand and intend to map complete on every single one of my characters eventually.

>

> And I contend that THIS is the reason for many of the objections to this idea. "I had to do it, so so should you."

>

> My contention is that the game is dying unless ANet can somehow generate new revenue.

>

> Now, they already know how many new players are joining the community of players. And that number is obviously declining. So, not only do they need new revenue, they need to acquire it from old players. Other than new content (which just got a lot harder to produce), this means new sales of items.

Map completion was never meant to be a one and done thing. That's why it has a legendary component attached to it. If you remove renown hearts you might as well just say "Let me buy a gift of exploration"

Sometimes there is content you don't like, but you are not forced to do it, at least not here. If you want to make a legendary (and it is very much a want) then you do map completion. The whole point of legendary weapons is that they *take time to make*.

If you so badly want to just buy your legendary with a credit card then just convert your gems to gold and use the TP. It's that simple.

Editing to add on: Another reason to do map completion is the 25% chance to get blc keys on non-city maps. Once again something you can just buy from the gem store itself. No need for something to make map completion go from an accomplishment to trivial.

While I am definitely not one of the 'ohmygodIjustlovecompletinghearts' people there are some I /do/ like, and since gathering a lot of the LS currencies is handled by completing a heart and buying the currency, buying an unlock would /definitely/ create a pay to win scenario. You could, then, just daily hop around to your completed unlocked hearts and buy your currency, then buy your ascended trinkets and the like. This is, granted, already available through the home nodes, but those are expensive, and only grant you 3 of each thing.

So while I love getting to the Orr part of map completion(no more hearts) I would be against this.

Also, of course completing hearts are playing the game! And since it's almost 3am and I can't sleep I suppose I should go do some. Might help. :P

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> The game is dying? Seems we've heard that for the last 5 years; and yet, the game is still here. And why, pray tell, is new content now 'harder to produce'?

>

Because of the layoffs, of course.

> Also, if this item was 'pretty cheap', how would it generate revenue? 'Pretty cheap' items are easily acquired with in-game gold. ArenaNet did state that the more inexpensive offering on the Gem Store didn't generate much revenue.

That could be. But, I would buy a lot of them. And, I almost never buy with game gold. Twice in seven years, I think. But, you're right, the averages may not make this a good idea.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > And I contend that THIS is the reason for many of the objections to this idea. "I had to do it, so so should you."

> >

> > My contention is that the game is dying unless ANet can somehow generate new revenue.

> >

> > Now, they already know how many new players are joining the community of players. And that number is obviously declining. So, not only do they need new revenue, they need to acquire it from old players. Other than new content (which just got a lot harder to produce), this means new sales of items.

> Obviously declining? Where is your evidence? Where are the facts? If this is determined by your observation, then this is pure conjecture.

>

Layoffs, of course. You don't lay off a large percentage of your workforce unless you're short on money.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > And I contend that THIS is the reason for many of the objections to this idea. "I had to do it, so so should you."

> > >

> > > My contention is that the game is dying unless ANet can somehow generate new revenue.

> > >

> > > Now, they already know how many new players are joining the community of players. And that number is obviously declining. So, not only do they need new revenue, they need to acquire it from old players. Other than new content (which just got a lot harder to produce), this means new sales of items.

> > Obviously declining? Where is your evidence? Where are the facts? If this is determined by your observation, then this is pure conjecture.

> >

>

> Layoffs, of course. You don't lay off a large percentage of your workforce unless you're short on money.

Because they had staff working on other projects. Not because GW2 is struggling. GW2 is not struggling.

This is a lazy and pointless idea.

You may have missed the statements about a certain number of employees working on other projects, and a certain number of employees laid off, or leaving voluntarily (to ensure others keep their jobs).

Nowhere did I see statements that the ~250 employees left were unable to produce content; in fact, the present thoughts are that there are now _more_ Devs working on GW2.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

>They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> >

> >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

>

> And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

>

Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > >

> > >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> >

> > And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> >

>

> Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

In terms of map completion, your progress is saved. When it comes to dailies on the LW maps, well, I don't care for them too much, to be honest... It's a bonus. I can't complete all the dailies, every day, anyway.

> @"dodgerrule.8739" said:

> The devs are and have always been very strongly against having the game even mentioned as pay to win. Renown hearts being buyable would take away 90% of world exploration and content. There is no way that they would even think of doing this.

They've also always been against grind, too.

And, hearts are < 17%, officially. (Although, they are much more involved than the other four needed.) I would put it at about 50%.)

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > >

> > >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> >

> > And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> >

>

> Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

They seem to have changed this recently. Hearts' progress is saved even after you've achieved it fully.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > >

> > > >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> > >

> > > And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> > >

> >

> > Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

>

> They seem to have changed this recently. Hearts' progress is saved even after you've achieved it fully.

I am not talking about for map completing the ls zones. I'm just talking in general that they don't feel like something that should be daily, not even as an option.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > >

> > > > >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> > > >

> > > > And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

> >

> > They seem to have changed this recently. Hearts' progress is saved even after you've achieved it fully.

>

> I am not talking about for map completing the ls zones. I'm just talking in general that they don't feel like something that should be daily, not even as an option.

Oh, I'm referring to that it used to reset to zero progress daily, once you got the original heart completion. Now, it saves progress, so it's better.

I agree; I didn't like being able to redo them. But, it was one of the most requested features, so we're in the minority.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> world complete is some of the most drearilly boring things to do.

If you want to soldier through it, yeah, I get it. Do it in increments. One map a day. Half a map, even. Do the dailies in areas you have never been before with the current character.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > >They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> > > > >

> > > > > And yet ironically, I enjoy doing hearts in Core and S3, but hate, hate H-A-T-E doing them in PoF S4. They must have shifted philosophies in between Core and PoF.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Same, I think maybe the issue is in core I don't have my progress gone the next day. Renown hearts work best as a single accomplishment, not so much as a daily task.

> > >

> > > They seem to have changed this recently. Hearts' progress is saved even after you've achieved it fully.

> >

> > I am not talking about for map completing the ls zones. I'm just talking in general that they don't feel like something that should be daily, not even as an option.

>

> Oh, I'm referring to that it used to reset to zero progress daily, once you got the original heart completion. Now, it saves progress, so it's better.

>

> I agree; I didn't like being able to redo them. But, it was one of the most requested features, so we're in the minority.

WAAAT? That's cool! Didn't notice, which makes sense since I spend like 0% of my time in PoF maps. When did this happen?

EDIT:

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > They seem to have changed this recently. Hearts' progress is saved even after you've achieved it fully.

>

> That isn't a "recent" change.

Mmm, ok. Well, I 'm not kidding when I say I spend no time in PoF maps. Smart change, even if it's not new :+1: