Regarding Magic Find

With tonight's change of unidentified gear and how Magic Find doesn't affect them anymore when opening/identifying them (from the description of which you forgot to remove it), could anyone from the ArenaNet staff provide valid information as to **_where_** Magic Find applies now? It seems pretty obsolete, and only useful during Lunar New Year event. I mean, the main reason of its existence was to provide better loot from slain enemies; that was the main principle for it. Now what?

How about adding exotic unidentified gear in the game as well then? If Magic Find affects the quality of dropped unidentified gear (common, masterwork, rare) dropped from enemies, shouldn't said Magic Find provide better chances for more exotic unidentified gear as well?

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> The official thread gave the answer already. MF affects the tier of rarity of UNID bag dropped and improves the chance for an exotic to drop independent of the bags

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72022/global-unidentified-gear-incoming-march-26th#first

Thank you, I already saw that. I made a separate thread as a form of suggestion for having exotic unidentified gear :).

> @"Naeleen.7601" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > The official thread gave the answer already. MF affects the tier of rarity of UNID bag dropped and improves the chance for an exotic to drop independent of the bags

> >

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72022/global-unidentified-gear-incoming-march-26th#first

>

> Thank you, I already saw that. I made a separate thread as a form of suggestion for having exotic unidentified gear :).

>

>

I had thought the same, but it would likely amount to the same system as in place since xotics don't drop in great numbers.

Also, and I'm possibly wrong here, but exotics themselves aren't all as rare as each other. If MF also affects what exotic you could get, then you reduce your chance of getting a precursor if they implement exotic unids

> @"Naeleen.7601" said:

> valid information as to **_where_** Magic Find applies now?

Exactly where it used to apply, before PoF:

* Any time you kill a foe

* Specific containers from PvP|WvW reward tracks meant to imitate the loot from killing foes.

* Lunar New Year envelopes

> It seems pretty obsolete,

No, it originally had a subtle impact that most people wouldn't notice. Even before today's patch, the impact was subtle for _everyone_ except those deliberately boosting their MF to 900% and beyond.

> the main reason of its existence was to provide better loot from slain enemies; that was the main principle for it. Now what?

That hasn't changed. Whether you get blue or green or rare unID gear from killing foes is affected by MF.

> How about adding exotic unidentified gear in the game as well then? If Magic Find affects the quality of dropped unidentified gear (common, masterwork, rare) dropped from enemies, shouldn't said Magic Find provide better chances for more exotic unidentified gear as well?

It does. You aren't guaranteed to get unID gear; you just get that instead of blue, green, or rare gear directly. Exotics, which drop in very low quantities, don't need to stack. White gear also drops in small quantities, once you've hit L80+ (because by that time, your MF will be > 0).

Our odds for getting exotics are probably somewhat better in Core|HoT than previously, depending on how they set up the unID gear. If they didn't change the 0% MF rates from last month, then we have a chance to get an exotic direct from foe deaths (affected by MF) or direct from event & JP chests (not affected by MF)... plus we also have a chance to get them from opening blue, green, and rare unID.

If so, it's a small increase and would be difficult to see for any casual observer.

For reference, the drop rate of exotics from champ bags (such as Embroidered Coin Purses) is around 0.5% or less.