Which direction is the game heading?

> @"Genoshock.2104" said:

> Expansions? Or GW3 ---- I probably shouldn't be asking but it would be nice to know if there are any news.

>

> The player base is still large, and the only content around is PvP based for me.

>

>

>

>

Judging from NCsofts stocks report, Guild Wars 2 sales have taken a huge drop(sales per unit/sales per unit-price gems). Also NCSoft swift to the mobile game(check new AION) industry have taken a toll on their studios focus on MMOs and having AION and Lineage/2 with way better sales(Talking about 100-200% more) isn't a sign of a game with a goal. Same stats with wildstar are on the forecast for Anet, unless they give something MMOish to the game. I think ESO proved to everyone that gear progression and character progression is essential to an MMOs design which Anet has completely dropped for a more casual approach.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Devilman.1532" said:

> down the drain

![](https://www.jarofquotes.com/quotes/111728.jpg "")

![](https://quotlr.com/images/quotes/there-comes-a-time-when-you-have-to-choose-between-turning-the-page-and-closing-the-book.jpg "")

Anet refuses to learn and are continuously repeating the same errors, repeating of making the same choices of promoting and implementing toxicity for balancing the game.

**Move on**, just shut down the game.

> @"Shortage.5427" said:

> > @"Genoshock.2104" said:

> > Expansions? Or GW3 ---- I probably shouldn't be asking but it would be nice to know if there are any news.

> >

> > The player base is still large, and the only content around is PvP based for me.

> I think ESO proved to everyone that gear progression and character progression is essential to an MMOs design which Anet has completely dropped for a more casual approach.

I don't know about everyone, but to me ESO has definitely proved that gear progression and character progression are things that turn me off playing. I turn back to that game time and again (on and off ESO since headstart, including fully subbed until they turned to optional subscription) because it has a lot of content I enjoy, but it often takes no more than a day or two to spoil that nice content again for me by forcing me to grind for gear, grind for skill points on every alt I want to play, grind daily logins to get the interesting login rewards, and worst of all grind festivals to get a chance at any of the meaningful rewards. Not to mention the atrocious combat system with all that animation cancelling and attack weaving to get anywhere.

GW2 is not for everyone, just like ESO isn't, but there's a lot of people on both sides of the fence that enjoy one over the other. I'm on the GW2 side of things, along with many other players that prefer a game with moderate gear progression and favor account progression over character progression. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they don't have a goal. It simply means it's not a goal that you enjoy.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Shortage.5427" said:

> >I think ESO proved to everyone that gear progression and character progression is essential to an MMOs design ...

> Is it really "essential"?

It's essential for those players who confuse a game with an glorified version of everyday chores, mostly. For me, the game part is the most important aspect. And though GW2 is much better your average mmorpg out there at this, it still subpar to even a good single-player game (not to mention to the best ones), when it comes to actual gameplay. The power-creep (including too much possibilities for min-maxing and zerging, what allows to melt anything quickly and without effort or risk of losing), lack of challenge in 90% of its content, boring AI opponents mostly just standing there, serving as punching bags. Basically, it feels like a mediocre game too often (it's quite good at times, still, like when you happen to be at event with just a 5 other people, and it finally feels like a good, challenging, thrilling fight).

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Shortage.5427" said:

> >I think ESO proved to everyone that gear progression and character progression is essential to an MMOs design which Anet has completely dropped for a more casual approach.

> Oh, i don't know. Personally i _wouldn't_ use ESO as an example of good MMO design.

>

Never tried ESO (its the only one i havent)- Partly because there was no trial

I have to admit i didnt overly like the look of the combat system?