Skins for certain abilties

Rico.6873

I'm not sure how I'd feel about reskinning skills beyond what is already avalable with legendaries (esp. if you pay for it with irl $$$). It would mean that any "balancing" to your favourite skill would be a touchier subject than it already is.

That being said, I would definately try to obtain more detailed guardian symbols if they were avalable - the firebrand axe symbol looks great! The others? Not so much...

The problem with this idea, is that it would need to be able to be disabled (for clarity of combat in PvP especially, where recognizing skills is important).

And the usual disclaimer, I'm ok with anything as long as I get an option to turn if off on my side of the screen! I'm sick of all the flashing effects and over-sized crazy looking skyscrapers and train-crashes people wander around with/on/around/inside/wearing/etc as it is.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> The problem with this idea, is that it would need to be able to be disabled (for clarity of combat in PvP especially, where recognizing skills is important).

>

> And the usual disclaimer, I'm ok with anything as long as I get an option to turn if off on my side of the screen! I'm sick of all the flashing effects and over-sized crazy looking skyscrapers and train-crashes people wander around with/on/around/inside/wearing/etc as it is.

Same.

It's an epileptic person's nightmare with all of this flashing, sparkly crap wandering around now.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> The problem with this idea, is that it would need to be able to be disabled (for clarity of combat in PvP especially, where recognizing skills is important).

>

> And the usual disclaimer, I'm ok with anything as long as I get an option to turn if off on my side of the screen! I'm sick of all the flashing effects and over-sized crazy looking skyscrapers and train-crashes people wander around with/on/around/inside/wearing/etc as it is.

I feel the need to keep pointing this out..... the ability to disable something does NOT fix the problem it creates. in the case of VFX, its still an increase to the data set library on the client, an increase in IDs for the server, and several caveat issues given the client still has to handle that data set, even if the VFX sub system decides to cull it. The amount of bespoke items is having an effect on the client's overall performance, propensity for bugs (its a larger cross section regardless of use), and the disparity in what players are seeing is starting to create confusion.

If they can alter the attack animations via Majory's Axe and Dagger, I think they can alter animations further. I can see them being able to unlock skins for ranger pets/spirits, but the question is, does anyone want to _pay_ for them?

Edit: When Gw2 was first released, I was hoping for cultural variations on some of the classes. Like Engineer Sylvari using seed plants instead of turrets, or Norn Necromancers using some animals as reference to their minions' design. But I guess it was foolish to think the game world builders would but more thought into it. What would a Sylvari necromancer raise anyway? Something relating to what Ventari despises? Would they be based on what Would Charr Engineers all use Iron Legion designs? A Charr Necromancer's minions probably wouldn't vary too much from a Human necromancer's unless they bring the oldskool minions back (Windriders, Wurms, and Devourers culturally cross over). Of course, these things would be disabled in pvp and wvw.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > The problem with this idea, is that it would need to be able to be disabled (for clarity of combat in PvP especially, where recognizing skills is important).

> >

> > And the usual disclaimer, I'm ok with anything as long as I get an option to turn if off on my side of the screen! I'm sick of all the flashing effects and over-sized crazy looking skyscrapers and train-crashes people wander around with/on/around/inside/wearing/etc as it is.

>

> I feel the need to keep pointing this out..... the ability to disable something does NOT fix the problem it creates. in the case of VFX, its still an increase to the data set library on the client, an increase in IDs for the server, and several caveat issues given the client still has to handle that data set, even if the VFX sub system decides to cull it. The amount of bespoke items is having an effect on the client's overall performance, propensity for bugs (its a larger cross section regardless of use), and the disparity in what players are seeing is starting to create confusion.

Doesn't stop them doing it with outfits and weapons every week in the gemstore.

I feel like such would be considered yet another insult to the pvp/wvw playerbase, while people can get used to it the intial lashback will hurt big time.

And then there's the issue that when balance patches come, skills sometimes get duration changes. Generally speaking animations are altered with duration changes if needed, for example a few months ago mesmer sword 2's duration about halved and it's continuous flurry of jabs animation halved with it. That sort of upkeep for soooo many skins is soooo much extra work, unless the team responsible for altering these animations are sitting around bored (unlikely with recent happenings at anet), i'm not sure i'd want to see less of other game elements for them- I feel like it would be a disproportionately high extra workload for a low benefit compared to other types of skins, as a given ability skin can only be accessed by roughly 1/9th of characters to begin with and used by less, compared to the most exclusive gemstore skins (pistol, lb, sb, rifle, mace skins + armor skins tied to a single weight class) can be used by roughly a 1/3rd of characters.

Legendary weapons already alter what weapon skills look like and i think that's enough IMO. Furthermore, some legendary weapon skins alter utility animations (mesmer especially as clones will inherit the legendary weapon skin) too, so even if we're excluding weapon skins in this, it's still gonna complicate it.