Why not just make 1 border no mount so everyone can join their preffered gamestate and be happy

Anput.4620

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

> > > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > > @"Anput.4620" said:

> > > > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > > You realize that ANet will not listen to you on mounts no matter how much you whine.

> > > >

> > > > Doesn't make me wrong, i will give feedback until this BS is fixed.

> > >

> > > "Fixed" is relative. A great many people have learned to live with the mount. Quite a few people love the mount. I'm kind of ambivalent to it, but they will never get rid of it.

> >

> > Fixed means balanced, in a way it isn't skewed towards 1 side.

>

> But it is balanced, because YOU get the same benefits as the opposing team when YOU own an objective. So YOU get increased speed when YOU own a camp/tower or keep. It's your incentive to make sure YOU keep taking stuff. If all you are doing is looking for fights then maybe you should be penalized for not doing anything but fighting.

It is not balanced because it patches up the weaknesses of some classes while offering nothing to others. This is like saying giving permaswiftness to everyone is balanced because everyone gets it but lots of classes already have access to it so it is useless to them, equal distribution also doesn't indicate balance, you can give everyone a 2000 range oneshot gun but that also doesn't make it balanced, the mount currently offers too much for little drawback, there are zero risks nor drawbacks associated with it.

The mount has drawbacks for roaming classes, what drawbacks does it have for zerging classes? The mount is completely skewed towards 1 side which is not balanced, i am not sure how you can't get this.

The facts that other games do a shit job doesn't mean we have to.

Also why would a mountless border hurt? Anyone can just join their preffered border then.

Also if you haven't noticed, in most open world PvP modes/games you can freely attack anyone you want as it should be because that makes sense!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> It is not balanced because it patches up the weaknesses of some classes while offering nothing to others. This is like saying giving permaswiftness to everyone is balanced because everyone gets it but lots of classes already have access to it so it is useless to them, equal distribution also doesn't indicate balance, you can give everyone a 2000 range oneshot gun but that also doesn't make it balanced, the mount currently offers too much for little drawback, there are zero risks and drawbacks associated with it.

Except the mount moves faster than a permaswift class, which since everyone gets access to it, it's balanced. It's also balanced to the point that it's encouraging you to take objectives (you know, one of the key pillars of wvw) to get a slight edge when it comes to moving on said mount. In this case equal distribution does = balance. However that is not including new players or new WvW'ers, or F2P accounts or hell people that still haven't gotten PoF.

And in the nearish future the mount is going to lose some of those "zero drawbacks" you keep complaining about over and over. Between a dismount skill and putting you into combat post pounce (I think, though I could be confusing that just with entering combat post dismount). And that's the general changes most have been looking for, I'd say a high percentage of players wanted these changes the most. The hardcore fighters that don't want to be helpful with taking objectives (yourself for example) are the ones upset that the mount is too fast because they get less open field fights in territory they don't own. Sorry to say but maybe you really need to adapt.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> The mount has drawbacks for roaming classes, what drawbacks does it have for zerging classes? The mount is completely skewed towards 1 side which is not balanced, i am not sure how you can't get this.

Maybe it's a subtle (or not to subtle hint) that solo roaming isn't the intended playstyle for wvw and the devs are highlighting it a bit more now. Hence why roamers have been hit the hardest by the changes (however the devs have also listened to are intend to help folks like you out)

> Also why would a mountless border hurt? Anyone can just join their preffered border then.

Because that would be unbalanced lol. But you only want balance when it suits you.

> Also if you haven't noticed, in most open world PvP modes/games you can freely attack anyone you want as it should be because that makes sense!

Except in most open world/pvp games they have less objectives to worry about (or none) so that's a key difference here

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

>

> > It is not balanced because it patches up the weaknesses of some classes while offering nothing to others. This is like saying giving permaswiftness to everyone is balanced because everyone gets it but lots of classes already have access to it so it is useless to them, equal distribution also doesn't indicate balance, you can give everyone a 2000 range oneshot gun but that also doesn't make it balanced, the mount currently offers too much for little drawback, there are zero risks and drawbacks associated with it.

>

> Except the mount moves faster than a permaswift class, which since everyone gets access to it, it's balanced. It's also balanced to the point that it's encouraging you to take objectives (you know, one of the key pillars of wvw) to get a slight edge when it comes to moving on said mount. In this case equal distribution does = balance. However that is not including new players or new WvW'ers, or F2P accounts or hell people that still haven't gotten PoF.

>

> And in the nearish future the mount is going to lose some of those "zero drawbacks" you keep complaining about over and over. Between a dismount skill and putting you into combat post pounce (I think, though I could be confusing that just with entering combat post dismount). And that's the general changes most have been looking for, I'd say a high percentage of players wanted these changes the most. The hardcore fighters that don't want to be helpful with taking objectives (yourself for example) are the ones upset that the mount is too fast because they get less open field fights in territory they don't own. Sorry to say but maybe you really need to adapt.

That it moves faster is the problem, just because everything gets something doesn't mean it is overpowered, the mount clearly overperforms at what it does because there is zero counterplay.

Also, the mount should have launched with these things, this is just shoddy implementation.

Also, the mount doesn't encourage taking objectives, 9/10 time if i am at one of our camps to harvest and a mounted enemy sees me as they enter the camp, they turn around and make a run for it, this promoted non-interaction.

Objectives as reasoning doesn't work in a mode where they don't matter, in PvP you lose the match but here you can just go somewhere else.

Also ofcoarse i have actual zerglings that want to play the mode in my consideration, but not the people that come there just to not PvP and hit doors and ktrain and leave as soon as they see even an enemy blob.

>Because that would be unbalanced lol. But you only want balance when it suits you.

Why would it be? Even so you tell me zerglings are weak most of the mode was still necros/guards pre-mounts. Builds have strenghts and weaknesses, not every build can be good at everything and if a Thief is faster than a Guardian it is fair because they both shine in their own way, it *was* balanced. Please tell me why it wasn't balanced except my slow class isn't fast despite being good at everything else?

>Except in most open world/pvp games they have less objectives to worry about (or none) so that's a key difference here

Winning doesn't matter in WvW.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> That it moves faster is the problem, just because everything gets something doesn't mean it is overpowered, the mount clearly overperforms at what it does because there is zero counterplay.

I've explained lots of times how to counter play, but hey you didn't listen the last time I said it, so why should anything change now. But I'll repeat it here just so you can maybe understand this time. Don't sit on your mount, if someone sees your not on a mount they just MIGHT decide to engage you. Maybe you should also try to take someone down while they are taking an objective (you know, part of the whole game of WvW), or maybe you should accept that not every person you run into is going to engae. But when you do find someone, go nuts.

> Also, the mount should have launched with these things, this is just shoddy implementation.

Maybe, but this is more a problem with no test servers like other games than the dev's inability to expect these things. All they can do with how GW2 is set up as it is basically boils down to "Send it out and we'll tweak it afterwards".

> Also, the mount doesn't encourage taking objectives, 9/10 time if i am at one of our camps to harvest and a mounted enemy sees me as they enter the camp, they turn around and make a run for it, this promoted non-interaction.

From a roaming standpoint it absolutely does. Enemies getting away from your small group/solo roaming on mounts? Take their tower, now you have a speed increase over them. Take the camps to give you a longer amount of time before you lose that advantage, and also gives you a longer distance to travel at a faster pace.

The only issue here as a solo roamer is basically how skilled you are at taking things like towers.

> Objectives as reasoning doesn't work in a mode where they don't matter, in PvP you lose the match but here you can just go somewhere else.

And so can you? Your point that objectives don't matter is still flawed. WvW has two basic elements. Keeps/Towers/Camps are good, and WvW is also a PvP mode. BOTH of these are important. But you only care about the pvp side of things.

Not going to weight in on the pro-mount anti-mount sides. Just pointing out that players without path of fire do not own a mount, and since mount rental hasn't been implemented yet, gameplay still largely favors path of fire owners, as opposed to heart of thorns and core players.

Saying it is balanced is thus not entirely correct.

Saying making an additional map that is mountless costs Nothing is equally incorrect. It cost developping time, which can be used to implement new features, fix existing, more pressing issues in term of balance, like the afforemented mount rental, dismount traps, and the like. Those would have a far wider effect.

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

>

> > That it moves faster is the problem, just because everything gets something doesn't mean it is overpowered, the mount clearly overperforms at what it does because there is zero counterplay.

>

> I've explained lots of times how to counter play, but hey you didn't listen the last time I said it, so why should anything change now. But I'll repeat it here just so you can maybe understand this time. Don't sit on your mount, if someone sees your not on a mount they just MIGHT decide to engage you. Maybe you should also try to take someone down while they are taking an objective (you know, part of the whole game of WvW), or maybe you should accept that not every person you run into is going to engae. But when you do find someone, go nuts.

I do all those, most of the time they run away, the only fights i do get are the ones where they take an objective, which aren't many as they run as soon as they see you often, or they just stand still and die.

> > Also, the mount should have launched with these things, this is just shoddy implementation.

>

> Maybe, but this is more a problem with no test servers like other games than the dev's inability to expect these things. All they can do with how GW2 is set up as it is basically boils down to "Send it out and we'll tweak it afterwards".

>

Yes, which is shoddy implementation.

> > Also, the mount doesn't encourage taking objectives, 9/10 time if i am at one of our camps to harvest and a mounted enemy sees me as they enter the camp, they turn around and make a run for it, this promoted non-interaction.

>

> From a roaming standpoint it absolutely does. Enemies getting away from your small group/solo roaming on mounts? Take their tower, now you have a speed increase over them. Take the camps to give you a longer amount of time before you lose that advantage, and also gives you a longer distance to travel at a faster pace.

>

> The only issue here as a solo roamer is basically how skilled you are at taking things like towers.

>

How do i take a tower alone, it also doesn't give me a fight. If i place siege it dies while i get supply.

> > Objectives as reasoning doesn't work in a mode where they don't matter, in PvP you lose the match but here you can just go somewhere else.

>

> And so can you? Your point that objectives don't matter is still flawed. WvW has two basic elements. Keeps/Towers/Camps are good, and WvW is also a PvP mode. BOTH of these are important. But you only care about the pvp side of things.

Why am i not allowed to care mainly for PvP? WvW has always been the do whatever you want and have fun sandbox mode, winning doesn't matter. Tell me what winning gives you.

If i run around all night to get 2 good fights, then i get chased down by 3 players that keep remounting to keep me in combat, it is simply not fun, that's been my last WvW session.

You can't deny that such a drastic shift for people that have enjoyed the mode for up to 6 years as it was isn't really fair as is.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> Not going to weight in on the pro-mount anti-mount sides. Just pointing out that players without path of fire do not own a mount, and since mount rental hasn't been implemented yet, gameplay still largely favors path of fire owners, as opposed to heart of thorns and core players.

>

> Saying it is balanced is thus not entirely correct.

> Saying making an additional map that is mountless costs Nothing is equally incorrect. It cost developping time, which can be used to implement new features, fix existing, more pressing issues in term of balance, like the afforemented mount rental, dismount traps, and the like. Those would have a far wider effect.

I never said that, i implied to make one of the current maps mountless, an alpine map would suffice as we have 2 of those at the same time.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > Not going to weight in on the pro-mount anti-mount sides. Just pointing out that players without path of fire do not own a mount, and since mount rental hasn't been implemented yet, gameplay still largely favors path of fire owners, as opposed to heart of thorns and core players.

> >

> > Saying it is balanced is thus not entirely correct.

> > Saying making an additional map that is mountless costs Nothing is equally incorrect. It cost developping time, which can be used to implement new features, fix existing, more pressing issues in term of balance, like the afforemented mount rental, dismount traps, and the like. Those would have a far wider effect.

>

> I never said that, i implied to make one of the current maps mountless, an alpine map would suffice as we have 2 of those at the same time.

That'd be unfair to the server stuck with that map though, as others rightfully pointed out

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> Why would it be? Even so you tell me zerglings are weak most of the mode was still necros/guards pre-mounts. Builds have strenghts and weaknesses, not every build can be good at everything and if a Thief is faster than a Guardian it is fair because they both shine in their own way, it *was* balanced. Please tell me why it wasn't balanced except my slow class isn't fast despite being good at everything else?

It would be unbalanced that every map needs to play like every other map. Even with the DBL being entirely different to the alpines, the basics are the same. So having two maps with mounts and one without would be jarring, and honestly annoying to a majority of the playerbase (I assume). Also, thieves are just as powerful as they always have been, as are Guardians and all the rest. THEY didn't change. Mounts are a separate construct of the game and have no bearing on class balance. The ONLY thing that has changed for these classes is the speed they run at on a mount. It doesn't mean that now a thief is pointless to play since folks on mount can (potentially) keep up, becuase a thief still has stealth, high damage potential and an ability to get out of combat and reset. A mount being added hasn't diminished that, and if you think a mount

makes a guardian able to do that like a thief, you are horribly wrong

> Winning doesn't matter in WvW.

To you maybe, but I'm pretty sure it does to most players. It's human nature. We strive to be the best at everything we do.

I could care less if my server wins, but if I'm taking t3 objectives or slowing a zerg down or hell even scouting/roaming on a map I feel like I'm accomplishing something for my server. Just blindly fighting my enemies for no reason in open field just inflates an ego and maybe gives you a rush of chemicals to your brain. If that's all you are after then there are mobile games with your name on it.

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

>

> > Why would it be? Even so you tell me zerglings are weak most of the mode was still necros/guards pre-mounts. Builds have strenghts and weaknesses, not every build can be good at everything and if a Thief is faster than a Guardian it is fair because they both shine in their own way, it *was* balanced. Please tell me why it wasn't balanced except my slow class isn't fast despite being good at everything else?

>

> It would be unbalanced that every map needs to play like every other map. Even with the DBL being entirely different to the alpines, the basics are the same. So having two maps with mounts and one without would be jarring, and honestly annoying to a majority of the playerbase (I assume). Also, thieves are just as powerful as they always have been, as are Guardians and all the rest. THEY didn't change. Mounts are a separate construct of the game and have no bearing on class balance. The ONLY thing that has changed for these classes is the speed they run at on a mount. It doesn't mean that now a thief is pointless to play since folks on mount can (potentially) keep up, becuase a thief still has stealth, high damage potential and an ability to get out of combat and reset. A mount being added hasn't diminished that, and if you think a mount

> makes a guardian able to do that like a thief, you are horribly wrong

>

> > Winning doesn't matter in WvW.

>

> To you maybe, but I'm pretty sure it does to most players. It's human nature. We strive to be the best at everything we do.

>

> I could care less if my server wins, but if I'm taking t3 objectives or slowing a zerg down or hell even scouting/roaming on a map I feel like I'm accomplishing something for my server. Just blindly fighting my enemies for no reason in open field just inflates an ego and maybe gives you a rush of chemicals to your brain. If that's all you are after then there are mobile games with your name on it.

The thing is these things aren't happening for the Thief because what combat lol, quantity of combat has been about 80% less for me since mounts.

>To you maybe, but I'm pretty sure it does to most players. It's human nature. We strive to be the best at everything we do.

>I could care less if my server wins, but if I'm taking t3 objectives or slowing a zerg down or hell even scouting/roaming on a map I feel like I'm accomplishing something for my server. Just blindly fighting my enemies for no reason in open field just inflates an ego and maybe gives you a rush of chemicals to your brain. If that's all you are after then there are mobile games with your name on it.

Wait so dwindling reinforcements doesn't help the server and just is blind fighting now? You make no sense because most PvP games objective is literally just killing the most enemy players, killing players itself can be an objective too and gives warscore in WvW too. I dwindle reinforcements AND give some warscore, how am i not helping? I also don't just fight zerglings either, i fight about anyone i can see, even though i must say i have avoided mesmers before lol.

The current situation is like when someone glides of a hill or mountain and then WP's back to base to avoid you, except almost every time.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

> > > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > I vote EB. Just so people have more reasons to populate the rest of the maps outside prime time.

> >

> > We have 2 alpines so that would be the fairest one.

>

> I get your logic. However having that as your home border would either:

> - Leave it a ghost map

> - Get hammered by guild groups constantly

>

> Neither is a desirable result and the hot potato would be passed around, in worst case press queues up on every other map.

This is the description of Desert Borderland <.<

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> Why am i not allowed to care mainly for PvP? WvW has always been the do whatever you want and have fun sandbox mode, winning doesn't matter. Tell me what winning gives you.

Since PvP, while a big component of WvW, isn't the end all be all of wvw. And if you take things that people care about, you get fights. Funny how that works.

> If i run around all night to get 2 good fights, then i get chased down by 3 players that keep remounting to keep me in combat, it is simply not fun, that's been my last WvW session.

Neat, they were thinking outside the box to annoy you. If that bothers you maybe you should rethink how you approach wvw. I would start by putting them into combat for a start (since I dunno, you can't mount IN COMBAT) lol.

> You can't deny that such a drastic shift for people that have enjoyed the mode for up to 6 years as it was isn't really fair as is.

You seemed to gloss over the fact that while people enjoyed WvW, it's been a dying game mode for the last 6 years. We went from like 24 host servers to 4 hosts and some links. There has been a constant call for change in wvw for most of this time. But you, like many before you, cry for change. And when you get it, you hate it. It's an endless cycle of idiocy.

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> > @"Anput.4620" said:

>

> > Why am i not allowed to care mainly for PvP? WvW has always been the do whatever you want and have fun sandbox mode, winning doesn't matter. Tell me what winning gives you.

>

> Since PvP, while a big component of WvW, isn't the end all be all of wvw. And if you take things that people care about, you get fights. Funny how that works.

>

I actually just entered a camp being taken, the enemy response was to mount up, where do we go from here lol.

> > If i run around all night to get 2 good fights, then i get chased down by 3 players that keep remounting to keep me in combat, it is simply not fun, that's been my last WvW session.

>

> Neat, they were thinking outside the box to annoy you. If that bothers you maybe you should rethink how you approach wvw. I would start by putting them into combat for a start (since I dunno, you can't mount IN COMBAT) lol.

>

Outside the box? This has been the standard of any havoc froup since mounts, how do i keep them in combat without dying to 3 people, please tell me the correct line of counterplay here (hint: there is none).

> > You can't deny that such a drastic shift for people that have enjoyed the mode for up to 6 years as it was isn't really fair as is.

>

> You seemed to gloss over the fact that while people enjoyed WvW, it's been a dying game mode for the last 6 years. We went from like 24 host servers to 4 hosts and some links. There has been a constant call for change in wvw for most of this time. But you, like many before you, cry for change. And when you get it, you hate it. It's an endless cycle of idiocy.

>

>

We haven't cried for change, we have cried for improving on current systems and most importantly, balanced.

Putting it on one of the alpine maps would give someone a disadvantage there... I don't really care to argue who y'all can fight over who you think it is, but it probably wouldn't be fair since it's a homebl map and they're suppose to be the same to keep things fair for all 3 sides, cept when it comes to desert bl, that was made red to make sure the two alpine map holders can beat up on them and keep it a one sided two sided fight for t1.

Also turn alpine and desert into ebg/eotm type maps and trash the homebl concept.

Also just take mounts out of ebg.

Also take lion's arch out of mega server.

Also turn on regular wvw rewards for eotm.

Also shrink down to 3 tiers NA.

Also nerf boons.

Future thanks for not listening.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> I actually just entered a camp being taken, the enemy response was to mount up, where do we go from here lol.

The obvious answer is attack them.... 11k hp doesn't take much to go through.

> Outside the box? This has been the standard of any havoc froup since mounts, how do i keep them in combat without dying to 3 people, please tell me the correct line of counterplay here (hint: there is none).

The same plays you would do in a 1v3 before mounts. Unless you didn't 1v3 much, then I get why your so confused as to what to do in this situation....

> We haven't cried for change, we have cried for improving on current systems and most importantly, balanced.

You cried for content and change. The "new" content was gliding and mounts. They tried adding a new interesting map but people hated it for a variety of reasons. And then you wonder why drastic changes didn't happen for years. And gliding was hated at first, and so was mounts. You'll get over it. Balance is NOT done by the wvw team, but people cried like it was.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> Putting it on one of the alpine maps would give someone a disadvantage there... I don't really care to argue who y'all can fight over who you think it is, but it probably wouldn't be fair since it's a homebl map and they're suppose to be the same to keep things fair for all 3 sides, cept when it comes to desert bl, that was made red to make sure the two alpine map holders can beat up on them and keep it a one sided two sided fight for t1.

>

> Also turn alpine and desert into ebg/eotm type maps and trash the homebl concept.

>

> Also just take mounts out of ebg.

>

> Also take lion's arch out of mega server.

>

> Also turn on regular wvw rewards for eotm.

>

> Also shrink down to 3 tiers NA.

>

> Also nerf boons.

>

> Future thanks for not listening.

>

It sounded as if your brain was about to explode toward the end there, are you ok?

> @"Karnasis.6892" said:

> They tried adding a new interesting map but people hated it for a variety of reasons.

I believe this years concensus is that people love it. I mean there was a time they tried to say it was a ppt map and no one ever played there, but when it came out that all the fight servers are actually ppt servers that double teamed there, the general concensus of dbl started to shift and now it's good for fights...

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > @"Anput.4620" said:

> > > > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > > I vote EB. Just so people have more reasons to populate the rest of the maps outside prime time.

> > >

> > > We have 2 alpines so that would be the fairest one.

> >

> > I get your logic. However having that as your home border would either:

> > - Leave it a ghost map

> > - Get hammered by guild groups constantly

> >

> > Neither is a desirable result and the hot potato would be passed around, in worst case press queues up on every other map.

>

> This is the description of Desert Borderland <.<

Haha yeah you're spot on there. It's interesting how it first used to be a haven for roamers, and once guild groups realised it could be used for easy setups they also moved in. Lastly came the public zergs and the map started to come into rotation. I remember how for the longest time the home team would have it all capped in their favor simply because no big enemy groups bothered to go there, except for the nightshift looking to capture all maps.

I believe we owe it to the server guilds for bringing the map into the spotlight, since it was already enjoyable before mounts and somewhat on par with the alpine borders again.

Apparantly the potato is now cool enough to eat :)

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> Problem solved, no changes needed, everyone happy in their own way.

>

> Now that i thought about it this should please everyone because it changes nothing for no one.

Hehe, just forget about it, i suggested the same thing before ^^

Also forget about any positive changes to mount, obviously people who support the mount are happy with it and anet are happy with it as if it is fine the way it is =D

They don't want to reduce its hp, they don't want to reduce its dodges , they don't want to change the contesting thing, they just don't want to change anything, all we hear some people say is put a trap, really? a trap that must be a real big trap. Even if you add dismount skill, you have to look at the speed of mount in areas you control and areas you don't.

By the way, you should see the comedy at southwest camp in alpine borders with mounts, just hope they are not the right classes to dismount you and enjoy, and if you have a class with mobility enjoy, at some point if they all followed you, and you go away even while staying on the circle you will be out of combat and you will mount again.

As i said, this mount is badly implemented and rushed, and so far they are not doing changes to it, they are taking their time, and there are MANY things that are better to have them spend their time on rather than adding this mount and then we just have troubles balancing mount lol