Core rev in PvP

Master Ketsu.4569

So I have been playing this build with mixed to good results. A few people have asked me for it so I'm posting it here.

This has been something of a meme build that could be played before the patch, but with the addition of the new ancient echo skill it can now be considered as somewhat viable.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXNuNSqJ7JR/kVlsgyrS4QZWJYrcsklNFR9VuftBO8g9752A-jpxHQB2rMgyOEA4Y/BFeEAAwJAIgPAAA

Variants:

Standard Marauder + Rune of Leadership works fine too. I've just found RoW+Demolishers to be a good balance of raw stats. Plus RoW lets you remove 3 condis every 16 seconds which is nice since no infused light.

Any of the Major master traits in invocation can work. Rapid flow gives better mobility in Jalis at the expense of might, spirit boon gives stability.

Usage:

1. You generally always are using an upkeep skill both for the benefit and for the regen from Steadfast. Steadfast+Assassins Annihilation is actually your main sustain. Use Shiro Heal offensively, and Jalis heal as a condi clear.

2. Overall playstyle is a cross between Holosmith and standard meta Herald.

3. Ancient Echo + charged mists adds a few combos that can't normally be done. Here is a quick list of some AE combos ( in order of usefulness )

-Cast an unblockable jade winds on swapping to shiro and still have 50 energy left over. Priority usage. Can easily shift a losing teamfight into a winning one.

-Chain CC someone with VH+Staff 5->Forced engagement->Sword 5->AE+Jade winds->IO>Sword 4->Sword 2->auto

-General 50% defense gain in Jalis for 3s while being pressured.

-Use Riposting shadows 2 times in a row for disengage, chaining an evade in between, then still having the energy left over to kite/sustain with IO.

-Outrun a fleeing soulbeast, thief, or mesmer with two PTs in a row.

-Gain enough energy to use jalis road on demand for a stomp or just to pulse stab on a point if needed

-Cast a Jalis elite for your team and still have plenty of energy

4. Jalis hammers is a double edged sword. It gives good sustain and damage reduction with this build and makes you semi immune to Aegis/Blind, but it also procs retaliation.

• 1 month later...

So I did try the build out in ranked some more and ended up in #75 for the season ( top 100 ) which isn't the best but certainly isn't bad.

One change I made due to the nerfs to invocation was dropping incensed response for rapid flow. now that the might doesn't last as long and you don't get pulsing fury from dragon having swiftness at all times is more helpful in jalis stance.

Nice to hear you did so well with it. I run a pretty similar setup when I run core Shiro/Jalis, but never thought about trying Warrior runes. In WvW I'd run it with Firework runes since IR is still unnerfed there. Did you ever try using Salvation with it after it got reworked?

I did try salvation but it comes with problems no matter what you replace.

1. Replace Devestation with Salvation: Really Bad. Devestation is nearly all your damage. You could do it as a trolly tank build but if you are doing that why not just play scrapper?

2. Replace Retribution: Bad. A lot of people underestimate just how good of a trait Dwarven battle training is. Also steadfast is decent enough sustain.

3. Replace Invocation: This is the only thing you really could replace. Losing charged mists makes the build more clunky and makes you play more conservative, but it comes down to preference. Being able to do a jade winds in teamfights and still have 50 energy left turned out to be too good to pass up.

TL;DR only reason to use salvation is if you are running ventari instead of Jalis

> @"Master Ketsu.4569" said:

> I did try salvation but it comes with problems no matter what you replace.

> 1. Replace Devestation with Salvation: Really Bad. Devestation is nearly all your damage. You could do it as a trolly tank build but if you are doing that why not just play scrapper?

> 2. Replace Retribution: Bad. A lot of people underestimate just how good of a trait Dwarven battle training is. Also steadfast is decent enough sustain.

> 3. Replace Invocation: This is the only thing you really could replace. Losing charged mists makes the build more clunky and makes you play more conservative, but it comes down to preference. Being able to do a jade winds in teamfights and still have 50 energy left turned out to be too good to pass up.

>

> TL;DR only reason to use salvation is if you are running ventari instead of Jalis

Yeah, I see your point. Dwarven Battle Training is such a good trait and has really great synergy with Jalis, and it's really nice with Charged Mists and Ancient Echo since you can use Jade Winds more liberally. If you have any gameplay recorded, I would love to see it. I never really tried Shiro/Jalis core beyond random solo roaming, which really only illustrates its effectiveness so much.

Idk whats the deal with dwarf trait tbh. Theres only 2 ways to trigger it. Either taunt or Shiro elite. Eye is far better. I would drop AA for Swift as well. Pretty underrated trait that provides insane damage with IO. Once they get down to 50% you can bet they aint going to recover

> @"Scoobaniec.9561" said:

> Idk whats the deal with dwarf trait tbh. Theres only 2 ways to trigger it. Either taunt or Shiro elite. Eye is far better. I would drop AA for Swift as well. Pretty underrated trait that provides insane damage with IO. Once they get down to 50% you can bet they aint going to recover

Swift is good and you can pick it, but no to dropping DBT. You are missing the part where DBT also gives a substantial 10% damage buff to weakened foes, and it procs off any cc with no ICD on it. This means staff 5 also applies weakness, and any skill that gives weakness ( Staff 2, Inspiring R ) can be followed up with a damage burst. Doing more damage to people you CC is overall more useful.