Very High 'Power Usage'

I have been experiencing 'very high' power usage on my Alienware R7 Desktop with 16GB ram, 64 bit, i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz. This is NOT a low end system. My ISP is Xfinity and I pay for higher internet speeds, currently averaging between 145-180 mbps downloads and 22-26 mbps uploads. I have a clean firewall setting for GW2. I've played since a couple months after rollout and I've been involved with computer technology since the 70's both in network system management and application development so I'm no newby. I believe I have a solid system.

This was happening when all cores were enabled but I have set the affinity of the game to 4 cores as was recommended since GW2 doesn't use more threads as explained in other posts I have read (no need in wasting cores) and it didn't improve anything. With very little else being open (browser / task manager), The CPU usage is from 28%-32% and GPU from 67%-71%. The GPU engine displays as GPU 1 - 3D even though I am not running virtual or 3D simulation. I have purchased the Vive virtual headset but had no luck getting it work work as I couldn't get the 3D simulation to enable but that's another story.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and were able to resolve or reduce the power usage? If so, let me know what you did.

Generally you don't want to reduce the power usage. Both the (electric) power usage and the CPU/GPU usage means that the game is using your computer's performance at its fullest. I would not recommend to reduce the CPU core assignment to GW2. The game and Windows OS can perfectly handle this for you.

What are you expecting? The task manager rates power usage based on the CPU, GPU and disk usage of a program. GW2 and games in general are going to be rated as very high simply due to using both the CPU and GPU.

GPU 3D doesn't mean "3D" like VR, it simply means the GPU is being used for its primary purpose, to render the game.

GW2 doesn't really need more than 4 cores, but allowing it to use all of them doesn't waste them. It's better to spread out the work, and thus spread out the power and temperature fluctuations, than to tax a single core.