New (Returning) Player. Haven't touched the game in years. Do I need the new expansions?

If you buy Path of Fire it doesn't include Heart of Thorns, they are sold as seperate expansions. In addition if you haven't been logging in to log the Living Story episodes then you'll need to purchase them seperately to the expansions from the gemstore.

Living World Season 2 (9 episodes about 1280 gems total) is before the Heart of Thorns expansion. Living World season 3 (6 episodes about 960gems total) is set after Heart of Thorns and before Path of Fire. And season 4 is the current season set after Path of Fire, currently 5 episodes, about to be 6, if you login now you'll get episode 5 saved for free, and login when episode 6 is live you'll get that free too (as with any future episodes for the next season, just login once while they're up and you've got it free). There was a season 1 but that's not available to buy and replay (sadly) due to how it was designed, but there's a npc in Lions Arch where you can watch a recap video.

Of course they are all up to you weather you buy them, and how you buy them if you do (for example if you aren't in a rush and want to save money then you could save the gold to convert to gems to buy one episode, complete that then repeat). Personally I would say they are all worth it for both the story and the extra maps with most of them, some LS3 maps in particular are good for quickly and easily getting ascended trinkets for example. Again personally I would recommend both expansions also, for story and content (HoT gliding etc, and PoF mounts, and of course elite specs from both will give you more options).

If you are returning, my strong recommendation is to play for a few weeks first. If you are loving GW2, then buy both expansions for US$50 via the official website (US$38 via DLGamer). Each expansion brings different sorts of fun to the game -- for an extra US$20 ($15 from DLGamer), it's a bargain to buy both together.

Caveat: The "Living World" DLC is **not** included in the price of the expansion. That's where (vague estimate) half the new content (and collections/skins etc) can be found. Those are on sale now for gems. If you get the Ultimate Editions of either expansion, that's enough to unlock the first two seasons, and to unlock the half of the current season you are missing. (Just by logging in this week and next, with a quick trip to the gem shop, you'll have some of this season covered.)

I don't recommend the Deluxe Editions of the expansions. The 'extras' offered aren't worth the extra price in my opinion.

(Those bonuses do come with the Ultimate edition, and you get the gems, for the same cost that buying those gems would be anyhow.)