What about "Save a Build" Feature?

Jack.4017

I believe there is a 3rd party software that allows you to save builds but I don't recall the name. I heard it is full of bugs and your gear can be lost forever so that is why I never try it, but if someone with limited resources was able to make that possible why can't the developers of this game do a decent build saver?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this.

Would be lovely if could save builds with custom names on characters. traits, weapons and utility slots. I know it's probably pretty complicated, but it would be lovely if it is doable. The PvP manages to save my build for PvP differently from PvE, so something like that. And like someone said above, even if all it did was save traits and utility I would be happy, just like in PvP- weapon switching ain't as easy to make a mistake with XD.

It probably would take a lot, so there could be a limit. Honestly I'd be happy if I just had the option to save 4-5 per character. Right now I main mesmer, so I keep having to switch things around all the time per activity (and I love doing all sorts of things), and sometimes it's tiring to have to memorize each and every one. Especially for certain activities where you require a very specific build for it and people are counting on you, and once it starts you're in combat and you can't change it, so you have to try not to make a mistake with your build and memorize beforehand and double check with paranoia or everyone can be in trouble. I love the versatility and freedom of the classes by the way.

Most use arcDPS with all of it's limitations as a band-aid while they are desperately waiting for actual ingame templates to be introduced. Nobody forces you to use it if you are worrying about your accout or ingame items. Also, why would ArenaNet be so silly as to offer support for a 3rd party tool they hold no property over?

Actual build templates are the only true solution here. Something most would probably spend gems on or at least for the ability to use additional "build slots" or something. In case anyone is still worried about the resources this would eat up.

> @"Fossilized Amber.1352" said:

> I can imagine due to complexity of the build system is why it has taken so long

Imagine harder. ArcDPS has this running for months, and it's a third-party software developed by a single guy. It is also approved by ANet, so you can safely use it.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Fossilized Amber.1352" said:

> > I can imagine due to complexity of the build system is why it has taken so long

>

> Imagine harder. ArcDPS has this running for months, and it's a third-party software developed by a single guy. It is also approved by ANet, so you can safely use it.

No, it's not safe. Both Anet and arc developer don't take any responsibility for possible harm done by this tool. The tool is allowed to use but it's not supported by Anet. And in terms of functionality arc dps build templates is glorified macro.

For GW2 built in build templates we expect - seperate equipment slots which free your regular inventory, trait and skill slots that would just load from tabs. It's also in best interest of anet to provide build templates and monetize them as arc dps doesn't benefit the company in any way.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"Fossilized Amber.1352" said:

> > > I can imagine due to complexity of the build system is why it has taken so long

> >

> > Imagine harder. ArcDPS has this running for months, and it's a third-party software developed by a single guy. It is also approved by ANet, so you can safely use it.

>

> No, it's not safe. Both Anet and arc developer don't take any responsibility for possible harm done by this tool. The tool is allowed to use but it's not supported by Anet. And in terms of functionality arc dps build templates is glorified macro.

>

> For GW2 built in build templates we expect - seperate equipment slots which free your regular inventory, trait and skill slots that would just load from tabs. It's also in best interest of anet to provide build templates and monetize them as arc dps doesn't benefit the company in any way.

ANet doesn't take any responsibility for an even of meteor striking your home while playing GW2. Does that mean it's not safe to play the game? Hypothesizing about some theoretical harm is ridiculous.

As for official build template feature - that would be handy and I'm not against it. But if it gets sold, it will be viewed as p2w cashgrab as it is way too big of an QoL feature. So honestly I don't think it will be very smart move to try and monetize it.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Fossilized Amber.1352" said:

> > > > I can imagine due to complexity of the build system is why it has taken so long

> > >

> > > Imagine harder. ArcDPS has this running for months, and it's a third-party software developed by a single guy. It is also approved by ANet, so you can safely use it.

> >

> > No, it's not safe. Both Anet and arc developer don't take any responsibility for possible harm done by this tool. The tool is allowed to use but it's not supported by Anet. And in terms of functionality arc dps build templates is glorified macro.

> >

> > For GW2 built in build templates we expect - seperate equipment slots which free your regular inventory, trait and skill slots that would just load from tabs. It's also in best interest of anet to provide build templates and monetize them as arc dps doesn't benefit the company in any way.

>

> ANet doesn't take any responsibility for an even of meteor striking your home while playing GW2. Does that mean it's not safe to play the game? Hypothesizing about some theoretical harm is ridiculous.

>

> As for official build template feature - that would be handy and I'm not against it. But if it gets sold, it will be viewed as p2w cashgrab as it is way too big of an QoL feature. So honestly I don't think it will be very smart move to try and monetize it.

Monetizing it is brilliant move. If anyone believes build templates would ever come as 100%, well, they are naive. This would work like bag slots, character slots, bank slots or any other upgrade. It would be safe and supported by Anet and would bring profit for the game. Just like account slots. Or gathering tools with bonuses.

You can't call build template feature a p2w as it's nothing more than QoL. Your builds won't get stronger because you can switch them lol.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> There's an existing free alternative, however. Unlike bag, bank and character slots, infinite gathering tools and whatnot.

The free alternative provides bonus risks. Biggest one is official, declared lack of support from ArenaNet. There are people like me who refuse to put at risk our years old accounts with all the money we invested in the game. Feel free to do whatever you want with your account, be happy with your free alternative. I don't care. I'm going to keep demanding this feature as part of the game as I have yet to see a reason why build templates are not part of GW2 after 6 years.

As someone who loves creating new Builds I've been waiting for a feature like that since my first Beta Weekend.

I have around 230 Builds in my bookmarks, I have actually played about 45 of them because most of my builds are either specificly for Fractals, open world or WvW and within my WvW builds I have variants for either zerg or Small group WvW. And switching between two (or more) builds right now is pretty annoying. Although I have to say the equipment is a lot more annoying than switching the traits around but any kind of Build Templates would be a great addition to the game!

And if they're worried about people not paying any more money for additional charslots then they can just sell additional Build Template Slots instead, they could give everyone 2 Template Slots / Character by default and any additional slots will have to be bought for Gems.

Actually ANet's official stance supports Arc. And the "bonus risks" are a product of your imagination. I haven't seen a single report for damage caused by Arc.

But let me elaborate a bit on the build templates and why it's not a smart move to monetize them.

The rest of the QoL features you can regard as luxury items - additional bank/bag/character slots, infinite gathering tools and whatnot. They were always paid and you could acquire them or not. Like with all QoL features, you learn to live with them fast enough and don't want to go back. And nobody forces you to.

With build templates, it's different because of the existing free version. Trying to force a paid feature would literally feel like ANet are extorting money out of the customers who are already using that existing software, and using it **with ANet's official permission**. That's not my idea of "brilliant".

By all means, keep demanding the feature. However, I'd advise against demanding a paid feature. The outcry will be as bad as the lootbox one, if not worse.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> Actually ANet's official stance supports Arc.

No they don't:

> **This is officially unsupported**, and ArenaNet will not be able to offer any support for this addon or issues that occur due to use of this addon.

This said Chris Cleary himself, Anet security chief.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> With build templates, it's different because of the existing free version. Trying to force a paid feature would literally feel like ANet are extorting money out of the customers who are already using that existing software, and using it **with ANet's official permission**. That's not my idea of "brilliant".

>

> By all means, keep demanding the feature. However, I'd advise against demanding a paid feature. The outcry will be as bad as the lootbox one, if not worse.

People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

They could use a compromise such as allowing for 3-4 builds per character and per mode with the option to add further builds slots through the gem store. Worked in a similar fashion in Blade and Soul from what I remember. And of course, this should be free and should have been in the game to begin with. It is ridiculous how a game that is all about builds and changing them on the fly still does not have template options after five plus years. I will take what I can get at this point even if it is a cash grab.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

>

> Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

Yet. Unless you hide build templates as BLC exclusives, people are going to buy them.

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> They could use a compromise such as allowing for 3-4 builds per character and per mode with the option to add further builds slots through the gem store. Worked in a similar fashion in Blade and Soul from what I remember. And of course, this should be free and should have been in the game to begin with. It is ridiculous how a game that is all about builds and changing them on the fly still does not have template options after five plus years. I will take what I can get at this point even if it is a cash grab.

Hey well, did you know about the arc build template system? I made a topic with easy install instructions, maybe check it out. No need to wait for a cash grab!

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

> >

> > Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

>

> Yet. Unless you hide build templates as BLC exclusives, people are going to buy them.

Except we have a free alternative, unlike mount skins.

And while many would buy them, many would also complain and some would also quit. You can't be too aggressive at monetization or you'll kill your game. It's especially tricky with long-standing demands like this one.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

> > >

> > > Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

> >

> > Yet. Unless you hide build templates as BLC exclusives, people are going to buy them.

>

> Except we have a free alternative, unlike mount skins.

> And while many would buy them, many would also complain and some would also quit. You can't be too aggressive at monetization or you'll kill your game. It's especially tricky with long-standing demands like this one.

GW2 is far from being agressive with its monetization. The only problem is they are too eager on rng stuff.

I have an idea. Let Anet do build templates and let's see who's right.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

> > > >

> > > > Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

> > >

> > > Yet. Unless you hide build templates as BLC exclusives, people are going to buy them.

> >

> > Except we have a free alternative, unlike mount skins.

> > And while many would buy them, many would also complain and some would also quit. You can't be too aggressive at monetization or you'll kill your game. It's especially tricky with long-standing demands like this one.

>

> GW2 is far from being agressive with its monetization. The only problem is they are too eager on rng stuff.

>

> I have an idea. Let Anet do build templates and let's see who's right.

What does it tell you that they haven't done it yet and a a guy developing a 3rd party tool, which basically is a hack in their own system, made it as a side project in a few months?

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > People will pay for this just like they pay for rng and overpriced mount skins every day. The outcry is irrelevant. Anet learned that forum warriors are irrelevant when money is on the table.

> > > > >

> > > > > Oh, did they? Then why haven't they released more mount adoption licenses?

> > > >

> > > > Yet. Unless you hide build templates as BLC exclusives, people are going to buy them.

> > >

> > > Except we have a free alternative, unlike mount skins.

> > > And while many would buy them, many would also complain and some would also quit. You can't be too aggressive at monetization or you'll kill your game. It's especially tricky with long-standing demands like this one.

> >

> > GW2 is far from being agressive with its monetization. The only problem is they are too eager on rng stuff.

> >

> > I have an idea. Let Anet do build templates and let's see who's right.

>

> What does it tell you that they haven't done it yet and a a guy developing a 3rd party tool, which basically is a hack in their own system, made it as a side project in a few months?

Anet never explained why they didn't make it and I'm not going to waste my time on pointless assumptions. ArcDPS build templates are glorified macroes. They just move around your stuff. In-game build template would be something different. I'm pretty sure anet devs are capable of creating simple macro or autoclicker like arcdps.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> ANet has said they want this. They have also said it's not as simple as we think it is, and that's why they haven't released anything. Yet.

Not seen ANET say that but I sure as heck hope your right cos that would be a QoL addition I could get behind.

I can see many reasons why it could be difficult to implement in GW2 so I for one don't begrudge them taking it slow to get the framework right before making anything official.. fingers crossed this happens.