Wait, wait, wait...!

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> I'm not sure what you mean. there are three stores used by Arenanet. There is the GW1 store, the GW2 webshop and the ingame gemstore for GW2.

> Looking at google, the search unlock pack comes closest tothe GW1 skill unlock packs. Those are not needed. All skills can be unlocked in PvE as well.

Theres also the pet unlock pack, which is still one of the best purchases I made for GW1. (I have 4 rangers in that game and 3 of them switched pets frequently.)

But I assume the OP is talking about unlock packs in GW2, so it probably is the waypoints since those are the only ones with unlock in the name. (Technically lots of things in the gem store are unlocks, since the items are all in the game anyway, you're just buying access to it.)

In which case no, they're not must-haves. They give you instant access to waypoints in one zone (the 600 gem one) or all of central Tyria (the 2000 gem one) on one character, but all that does is make it slightly quicker to get to areas that character has not been to before. If you don't want to buy them all you need to do is run there which, even for the more distant waypoints would only take a few minutes, especially if you have any mounts unlocked.

I assume you mean the unlock packs list [here](https://store.guildwars.com/store?Action=cat&Locale=en_IE&SiteID=gw&categoryID=67871700#cat_67872200 "here")?

None of these are must-haves - they're primarily intended for PvP players who don't want to play PvE. In Guild Wars 1, you unlock skills for your account in PvE, either by buying them from a skill trainer, getting them as a quest reward, or (primarily in the case of elite skills) capturing them from a boss. Similarly, you unlock pets for your account by taming them out in the world. The skill and pet unlock packs unlock those things for your account without you having to obtain them in PvE.

Note that unlocking a skill doesn't allow any character on your account to use that skill! It allows you to use it in PvP and for your heroes, and it also allows you to learn it from a skill tome (which are hard mode/PvP rewards - not the primary way of learning skills).

> @"Jables.4659" said:

> The way point unlock packs? They just unlock the waypoints in various regions which allows you to quickly fast travel to those locations. They are by no means "must-haves" as you can quite easily run to those locations and unlock them yourself.

I'm sorry. I meant the original Guild Wars. But, yeah...those waypoint unlocks are a rip-off; only takes a couple of days to get them all...IF you have mounts, that is.

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> I'm sorry. I meant the original Guild Wars. But, yeah...those waypoint unlocks are a rip-off; only takes a couple of days to get them all...IF you have mounts, that is.

Ah my bad, I definitely missed the "original" part of your initial post.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> I'm not sure what you mean. there are three stores used by Arenanet. There is the GW1 store, the GW2 webshop and the ingame gemstore for GW2.

> Looking at google, the search unlock pack comes closest tothe GW1 skill unlock packs. Those are not needed. All skills can be unlocked in PvE as well.

Yes, I meant the original Guild Wars. So, those "unlock packs" are there to make acquiring the skills more convenient?

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> I assume you mean the unlock packs list [here](https://store.guildwars.com/store?Action=cat&Locale=en_IE&SiteID=gw&categoryID=67871700#cat_67872200 "here")?

>

> None of these are must-haves - they're primarily intended for PvP players who don't want to play PvE. In Guild Wars 1, you unlock skills for your account in PvE, either by buying them from a skill trainer, getting them as a quest reward, or (primarily in the case of elite skills) capturing them from a boss. Similarly, you unlock pets for your account by taming them out in the world. The skill and pet unlock packs unlock those things for your account without you having to obtain them in PvE.

>

> Note that unlocking a skill doesn't allow any character on your account to use that skill! It allows you to use it in PvP and for your heroes, and it also allows you to learn it from a skill tome (which are hard mode/PvP rewards - not the primary way of learning skills).

Well, that's a relief...lol, thought I was gonna have to shell-out another $60 bucks! :anguished: :D

Yes the skill unlock packs are completely optional. When GW1 was created it was designed to have a heavy PvP focus (hence the name) and so there was an option to buy the PvP Access Kit (also in that store) instead of the full game which was cheaper but only allowed you to create PvP characters who start at level 20 and have build templates which include gear, but who cannot leave the Battle Isles and cannot play any PvE content. (Full accounts also have the option of creating a PvP character.) So basically a quick way to get straight into PvP.

Because they can't play any PvE content they can't unlock skills in the normal way (by doing quests or capturing them from enemies) so they can either buy the unlock packs or buy them 1 at a time with Balthazar faction points from playing PvP.

So the skill unlock packs are similar to the level 80 boost in GW2 - it's a quick way to upgrade a character but not exactly pay-to-win because everyone else can get the same stuff in-game and because it's not a direct advantage. IMO that's even more true for the skill unlock packs because GW1's skill system is complicated. If a brand new player bought all the skills they're more likely to end up overwhelmed and confused and struggling to get anywhere. Copying a build from a guide will help of course, but even then I think they'd struggle.