Dye Kits

I'm considering trying my luck with one of the dye kits that's on sale right now, but I'm not sure how it works. Does it work like the mount adoption license where it's guaranteed that you won't get the same drop twice? Or do you run the risk of getting something you already own?

The chances of even getting an exclusive are quite rare and yes u can get duplicates. I have never received anything but common core dyes from a pack and always ones I already owned

Personally I think they are one of the worst things to buy due to the poor return in general.

each kit has a chance for a random dye from a limited selection as can be seen on the wiki for that particular type of kit. It has not limits on repeatability or chances of doubles. You can buy 5 and get the same dye 5 times if really really really special in the odds department. The special dyes have a lower chance than the noprmal/Core game dyes to drop.

You are better off buying the dye you want off the TP IMO. Of course you might get lucky and get an expensive dye on your first try but the odds are not in your favor. I made the mistake of buying one a long time ago not knowing how they work and got a dye worth a few silver. I never made that mistake again. I occasionally get dye kits from my weekly BLK farm and same thing, junk, cheap dyes.

The current dye kits on sale cost 100 gems. Converting 100 gems to gold at the current exchange rate is almost 22 gold. So you can gamble those 100 gems and most likely get a low value dye that essentially cost you 22 gold. Or you can buy the dye directly and get exactly what you want. I guess if you have 100 gems you don't care about and want the thrill of the gamble then go for it.

When I was a new player I tried buying a kit or two. Big waste of money unless you don't have many common dyes, which are extremely cheap on the TP, a few coppers each. You may get a rare dye in the kit but it's more likely that you'll get all commons. If there's one rare you really want, you're much better off buying it from the TP or waiting until it's one of the birthday rewards for your character.

> @"Archangel.1357" said:

> I'm considering trying my luck with one of the dye kits that's on sale right now,

Don't.

Any color that's available in the gem shop is available on the TP for a more reasonable price. You not only run the risk of getting something you already own, you aren't guaranteed of getting a rare dye (let alone an exclusive one).

The wiki conveniently shows us the market values of the dyes (and you can use your API key to show which dyes you are missing, if you like):

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi%27s_Dye_Kit

During this week's discounts, you can get five of Taimi's dyes for 400 gems. At this week's gold:gem exchange rates, that's 130 gold.

Since there's no guarantee, [purchasing 5 kits still leaves you with a 25% chance that you won't get any exclusive colors](https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=24%25+chance+of+success,+5+trials,+at+least+one+success) (assuming all colors drop equally, which is unlikely).

In contrast, for 80 gold, you can outright buy all the exclusive colors from that pack. Throw in another 3 gold, you can get all the non-exclusive colors too.

tl;dr if you want a specific color (or colors), buy them on the TP.