Invited daughter to play, we can't because she started on the wrong server

So I invited my daughter to play and she says she was never prompted to choose a server (not sure if this is true or not because I wasn't watching her created her account). It turns out she started on a European server. I play on an American server. So far as I can see there is no way for me to transfer to her without paying gems (I like my server and prefer not to do that) and she can't transfer to me unless she pays for the game. She was just trying it out to see if she even wanted to play.

Don't you think this sort of system is a huge deterrent to new players? I would think you'd want to encourage people to invite friends or relatives to play *together* and not make it impossible for that to happen... I'm a returning player myself so maybe there is a solution that I'm not aware of. Please let me know if there is another option for us to end up playing together since I'm enjoying the game and I think she would too :-)

Aye it takes paying gems. She doesn't have to be on the same server to play with you, but she does have to be in the same region (EU, USA).

Or if she deletes all of her toons, she can restart on any server. If she hasn't leveled too much then that might be your best option.

Or, if her account is Play4Free, she can transfer at no charge (once) by contacting the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

(And, OP, you can get a Display Name change with the assistance of the CS Team, as well. Do be aware, though, that it does come with some risks to bugging out your account.)

Welcome return (and to Tyria for your daughter), and good luck.

She should have been offered a choice of region and server when she created her account, even free accounts get this. When you first log into the game there's a box listing all the servers with a drop-down box at the top to select a region.

There's 2 ways she can switch now:

1) Contact customer service and ask them to move her account to an EU server.

2) Create a new free account. If she's just started on a free account this may well be the best option because she will have nothing to lose and it will be quicker than contacting support.

> @"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:

> Wasn't there a possibility to transfer for "free" after you've deleted all characters (only characters) and then change server? If her account is really fresh without important stuff you can try this, after all leveling isn't that difficult in this game.

>

Free accounts don't get that option. Or at least they didn't a year ago when I last tried it. One of the things the restrictions on free accounts was intended to avoid was people being able to spy in WvW or block enemy players from getting to the maps, which I think is why they can't transfer.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> I think a lot of people are mixing up WvW servers and region servers here.

>

> The best course of action is to just file a help ticket explaining the situation and ask them what to do to fix it.

What difference would that make? It's exactly the same process to change to another server in your region or to change to the other region.

The only difference is that if the OP's daughter was on a different server in the same region there would be no need to transfer at all because they'd still be able to play together everywhere outside of WvW (and free accounts can't enter WvW until level 60 anyway).

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> I think a lot of people are mixing up WvW servers and region servers here.

>

> The best course of action is to just file a help ticket explaining the situation and ask them what to do to fix it.

+1 for Helpful.

The only thing I could possibly suggest OP is if the Daughter's account is currently free-to-play and not cost any money yet to buy full version is to simply start another FTP and upgrade the new one once she sets the server to the right region. If it's already a full account though I would suggest Mew's idea and go through a support ticket.

> @"Lady Celtaine.3760" said:

> > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > Did this person literally use their game key for their account name? Isn't that just begging to be hacked?

>

> It isn't wise to use it I'm sure, but OP should be alright as long as they don't tell anyone their account email.

No, it’s a known bug where a series of numbers and letters show instead of the display name. It’s probably an internal account ID.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Lady Celtaine.3760" said:

> > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > Did this person literally use their game key for their account name? Isn't that just begging to be hacked?

> >

> > It isn't wise to use it I'm sure, but OP should be alright as long as they don't tell anyone their account email.

>

> No, it’s a known bug where a series of numbers and letters show instead of the display name. It’s probably an internal account ID.

>

I realised from another reply it wasn't a serial code. But that's interesting to know.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > I think a lot of people are mixing up WvW servers and region servers here.

> >

> > The best course of action is to just file a help ticket explaining the situation and ask them what to do to fix it.

>

> What difference would that make? It's exactly the same process to change to another server in your region or to change to the other region.

>

> The only difference is that if the OP's daughter was on a different server in the same region there would be no need to transfer at all because they'd still be able to play together everywhere outside of WvW (and free accounts can't enter WvW until level 60 anyway).

I didn't say it made much of a difference, just that a lot of people seemed to be mixing them up. But I guess if I needed to bring up a difference it makes, if OP is on a high population WvW server, it would be good for them to understand that their kid doesn't need to join that server specifically (unless they want to WvW together) and can select a cheaper world to move to in the same region.

I see sooooo much confusion among replies here... The important bit of OP sentence is:

> @B6312149-4F64-4D2B-A297-485ADD633164 said:

> It turns out she started on a European server. I play on an American server.

tldr: OP wants his daughter to play on the American region.

So a thing to know is:

- Only a purchased account can change region 1x for free(by itself)

- You can contact support and ask for the change of region (your daughters). She may loose all progress on her account as databases are not shared (but don't pin me onto that as they may be able to transfer the data). I have heard reports that they do that region change 1x out of kindness.

- It may take a bit for a ticket reply due to a queue on tickets.

Since your daughter plays on a f2p account it may as well be possible to simply make a new account and enter the correct region this time. I am not sure if one can use the same email adress and account/character names in this particular case (due to different database but on other side possible shared account manager). Ofcourse this will have her start from scratch. Her wrong account could simply be deleted afterwards unless she wants to keep a f2p european account ofcourse. But ofcourse I never tried this option.

Hope you get it sorted soon enough :)

years ago i made this mistake,, i made a ticket the next day they switched my server for free 1 time deal.. anet really do care about their people,, sometimes they take a bit to respond but u gotta remember anet isnt a huge company.. and im sure they go thru f93849323483290 tickets a day

I thought with a new account you have 1 free transfer? or when you buy the expansions you get one? Its one of those two or just send 10 dollars and transfer buy gems.

I had to transfer after my husband didn't listen to me about the worlds ha ha, i had to spend 10 dollars to be on the same server as my hubby (newb) ha ha.