How about a PvP version of Gift of Battle?

This post isn't to complain about how I dislike pvp or wvw or to screech about how I have to compete non-pve elements to finish a legendary.

Simply put, I'd like to see a way to obtain a gift of battle from pvp, or at least an alternative to it, kinda like how you can either map complete HoT or PoF to obtain the gift of X mastery.

I dislike that pvp isn't required during the process of crafting a legendary weapon like wvw is. How about an alternative?

It’d be great if all things could be obtained in any game mode (pvp, wvw, pve instances, and open world pve). I have never enjoyed competitive modes in MMO’s and GW isn’t going to change that. I also burned out on instances from WoW, due to the repetitive nature of nothing but combat. Since GoB is locked behind wvw, and I pretty much stopped doing any actual wvw, I’m forced to do wvw dailies for as long as I play GW2.

It’s the same with ascended glorious and triumphant armor skins which can’t be obtained through pve... though I just gave up on these. Doing only pvp dailies, I can’t seem to get ascended shards of glory. I think the chests reset or something before I get the ascended shards, not sure how they work. And since GoB’s are already too much of a grind for me, I can’t bring myself to work on triumphant armors, either.

GW2 does a great job giving players multiple ways of getting items, but it’s not perfect. Not a major issue, but it would be a nice QoL change if we’re not forced into modes we hate for items and skins that have no functional reason to be locked exclusively behind specific modes.

Ascended shards are earned through ranked matches(which are different from rated).

The triumphant armor base skins are completely doable through dailies(one per track) but after that it becomes problematic as you purchase the next tier with skirmish tickets(and they don't even look all that special though they can be turned into legendaries). JUST doing dailies might not get you to tier three participation and you have to stay in long enough to get ticks.

The really impossible ones though are the really pretty versions. I play wvw reasonably often, a couple hours here and there but not hardcore, and I'm still nowhere near the lowest one(1500 rank I think). There is zero way you will get these without putting in a fairly large chunk of time over a fairly long run. I've been playing wvw now for two years, getting between bronze and mithril each week and I'm not even halfway.

That said if you were to hit diamond each week it would go faster but I enjoy doing a variety of things. But just doing dailies it likely won't happen. I would also probably be closer if I would remember to use all available boosters instead of just the guild and amulet ones.

I know some game modes are not for everyone, but have you honestly given wvw an honest try? I ask this because I too used to dread having to go WvW for a GoB. Then one day, between story releases, got bored and decided i'd suffer through it and go stock up on a few GoB, and get some of the T2 triumphant armor skins i've been wanting... Well, long story short, I have now unlocked ALL the basic truimphant skins, sitting on about 6 GoB atm, and am on 5/6 armor legendary armor pieces, and trying to decide if I should do the back piece next or jump into another set of armor, lol

And yes, I truely did dread going to WvW. Now I love it, and now I spend most of my game time in there, lol. It does take some getting used to, mass zerg fights are nothing like 5vs5 in spvp. Some commanders suck at the fights (no offense to any one, just being honest), and others are awesome. Just have to follow different ones and see who you prefer. Or you could find a couple other people and just run around roaming flipping sentries and camps and scouting, reporting other team locations to commanders if zergs aren't your thing.

I think many people don't give it an honest try. Any other game I tried pvp and hated. With GW2, I think the big thing is finding the class you can excel with. I only ever got into Spvp because it was an easier way to unlock some dungeons skins, always groaned about doing it. But I started paying attention to what other people were playing and how that class performed, and then I would try that class, turned out I was quite good with mesmer and necro, and I could never get the hang of mesmer in pve, and hadn't gotten around to trying necro yet, lol. Just trying to say, a class you might excell with in one game mode, may not be the same class you do well with in another.

> @"preacher.9370" said:

> I know some game modes are not for everyone, but have you honestly given wvw an honest try? I ask this because I too used to dread having to go WvW for a GoB. Then one day, between story releases, got bored and decided i'd suffer through it and go stock up on a few GoB, and get some of the T2 triumphant armor skins i've been wanting... Well, long story short, I have now unlocked ALL the basic truimphant skins, sitting on about 6 GoB atm, and am on 5/6 armor legendary armor pieces, and trying to decide if I should do the back piece next or jump into another set of armor, lol

>

> And yes, I truely did dread going to WvW. Now I love it, and now I spend most of my game time in there, lol. It does take some getting used to, mass zerg fights are nothing like 5vs5 in spvp. Some commanders suck at the fights (no offense to any one, just being honest), and others are awesome. Just have to follow different ones and see who you prefer. Or you could find a couple other people and just run around roaming flipping sentries and camps and scouting, reporting other team locations to commanders if zergs aren't your thing.

>

> I think many people don't give it an honest try. Any other game I tried pvp and hated. With GW2, I think the big thing is finding the class you can excel with. I only ever got into Spvp because it was an easier way to unlock some dungeons skins, always groaned about doing it. But I started paying attention to what other people were playing and how that class performed, and then I would try that class, turned out I was quite good with mesmer and necro, and I could never get the hang of mesmer in pve, and hadn't gotten around to trying necro yet, lol. Just trying to say, a class you might excell with in one game mode, may not be the same class you do well with in another.

Even if they have, if someone wants a lot of legendaries, having the option to do something else besides WvW would be nice.

It's not a bad thing to have options.