Mounts do not share control paradigm with characters and it is a problem

Mounts have been made, for some unknown reason, to have different controls over the keyboard while rotating in one place. Instead of rotating like characters, where the rotation key will spin the character 360 degrees in place, for mounts the player is required to switch keys once the revolution reaches 90 degrees or the mounts starts moving in the direction of the bound key. This presents motoric problem as it requires a different key input and makes the movement, compared to characters, illogical and needlessly more complicated.

The problem is especially pronounced on tight spaces(ledges, cliffs,...) where the mount is required to advance like some mastery points, some HP...etc. Please Anet can You explain why there is a difference in the way these two operate in such a different way and if this was just an oversight, fix it ASAP as it subtracts from the positive Mount experience.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.

As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

Obviously it could be a pain in tight spaces, but so it was learning how to jp or jumpdodge while playing.

Have mounts which have the same movements as your character ( like wow for an instance ) will be one of the worst modifies ever.

The way it is now has nothing to do with the way mounts move, trajectory, inertia... It has to do with the controls as You can spin Your mount in one place as it is now but the controls are unintuitive, especially for people playing the game for years and there is no real reason for this type of control break. No reason whatsoever.

> @Faaris.8013 said:

> Dude, are you using rotate keys instead of strafe? First thing you do when starting any first person game is changing the key binds so the "rotate" keys execute a strafe movement. You turn with the mouse, not with keys.

First person game? I think You missed the forum ;D Seriously, I am using default controls provided by Anet.

Yea that's pretty annoying. Basically i need to turn camera too so mount rotation doesnt flip in opposite direction. Happens to me mostly while circling with griffon in air. That's when i turn with keys, usually i steer mounts with right mouse button tho, makes it smooth and much more precise.

That and Anet please add option to make camera behave like on character - no snapping back to facing movement direction while mount in (duh) movement. Sometimes i just want to admire the world around and make epic screenies.

This is because you (the player) *are* your character. But when you're on a mount your character controls an animal which is not always an exact science like walking.

Or if you want, you as a player are controlling a character in game. When mounted you are controlling a character that is controlling an animal or rather trying to control it and guiding it. You know, just like real riding.

It's done to increase immersion and it's done well, but just like real riding it requires some practice. There's no need to fix anything because nothing is broken and i for one don't want that to change, i don't want to walk on my mount feeling like i am that mount. I want to experience riding a mount, not being a mount.

So no, everything works as intended, you just need to practice controlling your mount.

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> This is because you (the player) *are* your character. But when you're on a mount your character controls an animal which is not always an exact science like walking.

>

> Or if you want, you as a player are controlling a character in game. When mounted you are controlling a character that is controlling an animal or rather trying to control it and guiding it. You know, just like real riding.

>

> It's done to increase immersion and it's done well, but just like real riding it requires some practice. There's no need to fix anything because nothing is broken and i for one don't want that to change, i don't want to walk on my mount feeling like i am that mount. I want to experience riding a mount, not being a mount.

>

> So no, everything works as intended, you just need to practice controlling your mount.

Please do not rationalize it with a wrong example. Animals can and do spin in a single place. A horse rider is not required to change the position of the muzzle rope at the 90 degrees if he wants to horse to spin. He is just maintaining the pull to one side, just like You use one key to rotate Your character in one place.

> @"Excellent Name.9574" said:

> > @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > This is because you (the player) *are* your character. But when you're on a mount your character controls an animal which is not always an exact science like walking.

> >

> > Or if you want, you as a player are controlling a character in game. When mounted you are controlling a character that is controlling an animal or rather trying to control it and guiding it. You know, just like real riding.

> >

> > It's done to increase immersion and it's done well, but just like real riding it requires some practice. There's no need to fix anything because nothing is broken and i for one don't want that to change, i don't want to walk on my mount feeling like i am that mount. I want to experience riding a mount, not being a mount.

> >

> > So no, everything works as intended, you just need to practice controlling your mount.

>

> Please do not rationalize it with a wrong example. Animals can and do spin in a single place. A horse rider is not required to change the position of the muzzle rope at the 90 degrees if he wants to horse to spin. He is just maintaining the pull to one side, just like You use one key to rotate Your character in one place.

The example isn't wrong it's just the closest thing that can be paralleled between a video game and real life things since video games draw from rl to increase immersion. Yes, we are all aware that you can spin a horse 360 degrees in place, but it doesn't come as naturally as you yourself spinning 360 degrees in place now does it? The controls the way they are, that's the closes thing they could have gotten to mounts feeling like real aminals. If you could spin them in one place there would be no difference between walking and riding and would break the immersion.

But what i said is true, you haven't gotten use to the controls, and you need practice, because it is possible to spin them in one place. You just have to *learn* it just like you have to learn how to spin a horse 360 degrees in place.

I don't know how you do it with horses, but in game, you need to back up the mount wile using left and right turn controls. I think you have to hold the right mouse button too, not sure, but whatever makes them back up, that's what you need to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > @"Excellent Name.9574" said:

> > > @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > > This is because you (the player) *are* your character. But when you're on a mount your character controls an animal which is not always an exact science like walking.

> > >

> > > Or if you want, you as a player are controlling a character in game. When mounted you are controlling a character that is controlling an animal or rather trying to control it and guiding it. You know, just like real riding.

> > >

> > > It's done to increase immersion and it's done well, but just like real riding it requires some practice. There's no need to fix anything because nothing is broken and i for one don't want that to change, i don't want to walk on my mount feeling like i am that mount. I want to experience riding a mount, not being a mount.

> > >

> > > So no, everything works as intended, you just need to practice controlling your mount.

> >

> > Please do not rationalize it with a wrong example. Animals can and do spin in a single place. A horse rider is not required to change the position of the muzzle rope at the 90 degrees if he wants to horse to spin. He is just maintaining the pull to one side, just like You use one key to rotate Your character in one place.

>

> The example isn't wrong it's just the closest thing that can be paralleled between a video game and real life things since video games draw from rl to increase immersion. Yes, we are all aware that you can spin a horse 360 degrees in place, but it doesn't come as naturally as you yourself spinning 360 degrees in place now does it? The controls the way they are, that's the closes thing they could have gotten to mounts feeling like real aminals. If you could spin them in one place there would be no difference between walking and riding and would break the immersion.

>

> But what i said is true, you haven't gotten use to the controls, and you need practice, because it is possible to spin them in one place. You just have to *learn* it just like you have to learn how to spin a horse 360 degrees in place.

>

> I don't know how you do it with horses, but in game, you need to back up the mount wile using left and right turn controls. I think you have to hold the right mouse button too, not sure, but whatever makes them back up, that's what you need to use.

I am fully aware of how Anet made the controls for the Mount's spinning that is why I opened a post. It does not work in the grand control scheme of the game. If I wanted to play a Airplane simulator I would have been OK with that. The fact that I used to it has nothing to do with the issue, that it changes the controls without a good reason, even slightly logical.

Back to horse. The 360 spinning once leaned by horse (your pet) is as natural and easy as walking. Assuming Your mounts are domesticated wild animals like Your horse it is safe to assume that they will require as much as maintenance while spinning as the horse, meaning little to no effort or no risk of destroying Your 20 minutes of attempt at certain Mastery, Vista, HP...

> @Llethander.3972 said:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

>

> Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

I could do that no doubt, but why? To fix myself the mistakenly different mount turning? It is a developer job to recognize that the issue is there.

> > @Llethander.3972 said:

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

> >

> > Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

>

> I could do that no doubt, but why? To fix myself the mistakenly different mount turning? It is a developer job to recognize that the issue is there.

There is no issue in itself though. Just player made

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> I don't know how you do it with horses, but in game, you need to back up the mount wile using left and right turn controls.

You can turn a mount in place by rotating the camera while holding either turn or strafe. As long as the camera isn't pointed in the direction the mount is travelling, it'll continue to turn.

> The way it is now has nothing to do with the way mounts move, trajectory, inertia... It has to do with the controls as You can spin Your mount in one place as it is now but the controls are unintuitive, especially for people playing the game for years and there is no real reason for this type of control break. No reason whatsoever.

I had that problem too, just use the look controls, I think you access it generally if you hold down the left mouse button (instead of the right) and the strafe buttons (or Q/E if not pressing left mouse button). The mount will stay in place and won't dislocate.

> > @Llethander.3972 said:

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

> >

> > Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

>

> I could do that no doubt, but why? To fix myself the mistakenly different mount turning? It is a developer job to recognize that the issue is there.

I wouldn't call it an issue, as it suggests that what you're seying is universal problem for whole playerbase. I would call it your personal distaste of certain function. Luckily, there are already sollutions suggested to you by other posters and I don't think this requires dev attention.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @"Excellent Name.9574" said:

> > > @Llethander.3972 said:

> > > Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you use the keyboard to turn. I would suggest, instead, trying to use the camera to turn and rebinding both "A" and "D" to "Strafe left" and "Strafe right" respectively instead. Once you get used to playing with that slight change you might find that things work far better.

> > >

> > > Keyboard turning, as it is called, is sub-optimal in all aspects of every game. It is slow, inaccurate, and laborious.

> >

> > I could do that no doubt, but why? To fix myself the mistakenly different mount turning? It is a developer job to recognize that the issue is there.

>

> I wouldn't call it an issue, as it suggests that what you're seying is universal problem for whole playerbase. I would call it your personal distaste of certain function. Luckily, there are already sollutions suggested to you by other posters and I don't think this requires dev attention.

Sure why make it simple when it can be made complicated :D

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.

> As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

>

> Obviously it could be a pain in tight spaces, but so it was learning how to jp or jumpdodge while playing.

>

> Have mounts which have the same movements as your character ( like wow for an instance ) will be one of the worst modifies ever.

>

No matter how ridiculous, inconvenient, and unnecessary some design feature is, there's always somebody to say 'I like it this way. It's working as intended." Mount turning is unnecessarily awkward. There's no reason it has to be like driving a Humvee. None.

> @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.

> > As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

> >

> > Obviously it could be a pain in tight spaces, but so it was learning how to jp or jumpdodge while playing.

> >

> > Have mounts which have the same movements as your character ( like wow for an instance ) will be one of the worst modifies ever.

> >

>

> No matter how ridiculous, inconvenient, and unnecessary some design feature is, there's always somebody to say 'I like it this way. It's working as intended." Mount turning is unnecessarily awkward. There's no reason it has to be like driving a Humvee. None.

I hope devs won't consider such opinions as a reason to change how mounts work. For me the feeling of riding them is great. It feels like living creature under you, that you need to control, not just a texture with speed boost.

> @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.

> > As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

> >

> > Obviously it could be a pain in tight spaces, but so it was learning how to jp or jumpdodge while playing.

> >

> > Have mounts which have the same movements as your character ( like wow for an instance ) will be one of the worst modifies ever.

> >

>

> No matter how ridiculous, inconvenient, and unnecessary some design feature is, there's always somebody to say 'I like it this way. It's working as intended." Mount turning is unnecessarily awkward. There's no reason it has to be like driving a Humvee. None.

Indeed and unfortunately not a single poster here explained why is this "feature" good or logical, personal preferences aside. I am a strong proponent of the KISS principle where applicable, like here.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > It's not a problem, it's one of the reasons i like mounts.

> > > As many things, you simply have to learn how to deal with em.

> > >

> > > Obviously it could be a pain in tight spaces, but so it was learning how to jp or jumpdodge while playing.

> > >

> > > Have mounts which have the same movements as your character ( like wow for an instance ) will be one of the worst modifies ever.

> > >

> >

> > No matter how ridiculous, inconvenient, and unnecessary some design feature is, there's always somebody to say 'I like it this way. It's working as intended." Mount turning is unnecessarily awkward. There's no reason it has to be like driving a Humvee. None.

>

> I hope devs won't consider such opinions as a reason to change how mounts work. For me the feeling of riding them is great. It feels like living creature under you, that you need to control, not just a texture with speed boost.

What You are referring to as a good feeling while You are riding them, really has no connection with the problem described. As some already explained that You can make Your mount move with strafing in a continuous 360 circle. We are not discussing the way the mount feels just the awkwardness of the control principle in this specific issue.