Is 'free' the right word?

Tinnel.4369

I feel like your post was a gentle nod to the gemstore's not-so-benign design.

1. Artificial scarcity created through a rotating stock that isn't permanently available for purchase. If every item ever available simply _stayed available_ throughout the year with simple rotating sales, that would be much less problematic. You can pick from anything anytime, you no longer have that 1-2 week crunch that skews your decision making process to make you more susceptible to making a "hot" purchase. "Hot" meaning not based in rational thought, as a result of a manipulative marketing strategy.

2. Moreover, the fact that Living World Episodes do not come automatically with an expansion is a bit reprehensible, as dang near every other MMO will include post-expack content in with the expack for free. This is more of a barrier to new players due to how massively this can interrupt the narrative flow simply due to a mandatory, albeit small, investment in LW episodes.

3. Welp, the lootbox that is BLC. Sure, we might get keys from the game and such, but it's the type of mechanic that it uses to snare people into maybe buying a few more, maybe a few more, oh dang I'm at 25 keys and I didn't get that "exclusive" [keyword] glider/weapon skin etc from it.

These issues crept up on me in my time playing GW2 and is probably the single thing I outright wish would be changed forever. However... How else does GW2 make its money? Therein lies the problem. I'm not against the devs making a buck, **but when I can more reliably predict when a gemstore update will take place compared when an episode of LW will drop,** or god forbid, updates to either of the competitive modes... that's where things become much less savory and a bit bitter.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> I feel like your post was a gentle nod to the gemstore's not-so-benign design.

>

> 1. Artificial scarcity created through a rotating stock that isn't permanently available for purchase. If every item ever available simply _stayed available_ throughout the year with simple rotating sales, that would be much less problematic. You can pick from anything anytime, you no longer have that 1-2 week crunch that skews your decision making process to make you more susceptible to making a "hot" purchase. "Hot" meaning not based in rational thought, as a result of a manipulative marketing strategy.

> 2. Moreover, the fact that Living World Episodes do not come automatically with an expansion is a bit reprehensible, as dang near every other MMO will include post-expack content in with the expack for free. This is more of a barrier to new players due to how massively this can interrupt the narrative flow simply due to a mandatory, albeit small, investment in LW episodes.

> 3. Welp, the lootbox that is BLC. Sure, we might get keys from the game and such, but it's the type of mechanic that it uses to snare people into maybe buying a few more, maybe a few more, oh dang I'm at 25 keys and I didn't get that "exclusive" [keyword] glider/weapon skin etc from it.

>

> These issues crept up on me in my time playing GW2 and is probably the single thing I outright wish would be changed forever. However... How else does GW2 make its money? Therein lies the problem. I'm not against the devs making a buck, **but when I can more reliably predict when a gemstore update will take place compared when an episode of LW will drop,** or god forbid, updates to either of the competitive modes... that's where things become much less savory and a bit bitter.

I hadn't really noticed your point in 1., thanks for pointing it out. I mostly buy keys and quality of life items that are always around.

I'm totally content with them making money and living on for a long, long while and I'm happy to be a part of that monetarily for as long as there's bang for my buck.

My answer to title question is: YES, IT IS

The fact that I bought the 2 expansions to have full access to the game, I have not spent a single real life penny in order to enjoy my Bought GW2.

In Fact, I do not understand what is the purpose of this thread? What is the argument? And what is the OP's expected outcome from this?

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > I feel like your post was a gentle nod to the gemstore's not-so-benign design.

> >

> > 1. Artificial scarcity created through a rotating stock that isn't permanently available for purchase. If every item ever available simply _stayed available_ throughout the year with simple rotating sales, that would be much less problematic. You can pick from anything anytime, you no longer have that 1-2 week crunch that skews your decision making process to make you more susceptible to making a "hot" purchase. "Hot" meaning not based in rational thought, as a result of a manipulative marketing strategy.

> > 2. Moreover, the fact that Living World Episodes do not come automatically with an expansion is a bit reprehensible, as dang near every other MMO will include post-expack content in with the expack for free. This is more of a barrier to new players due to how massively this can interrupt the narrative flow simply due to a mandatory, albeit small, investment in LW episodes.

> > 3. Welp, the lootbox that is BLC. Sure, we might get keys from the game and such, but it's the type of mechanic that it uses to snare people into maybe buying a few more, maybe a few more, oh dang I'm at 25 keys and I didn't get that "exclusive" [keyword] glider/weapon skin etc from it.

> >

> > These issues crept up on me in my time playing GW2 and is probably the single thing I outright wish would be changed forever. However... How else does GW2 make its money? Therein lies the problem. I'm not against the devs making a buck, **but when I can more reliably predict when a gemstore update will take place compared when an episode of LW will drop,** or god forbid, updates to either of the competitive modes... that's where things become much less savory and a bit bitter.

>

> I hadn't really noticed your point in 1., thanks for pointing it out. I mostly buy keys and quality of life items that are always around.

>

> I'm totally content with them making money and living on for a long, long while and I'm happy to be a part of that monetarily for as long as there's bang for my buck.

There's room for Anet to keep some of those things, but they should really address number 1 big time. Number 2 would be great as a general QoL thing for new/returning players who weren't around to grab the episodes as well. #3... Well... I'd like to see them go away or be less prominent, but their key sales are probably still among their most popular sales... I've just seen what that can do to people and I worry vicariously for them if they don't have too much self-control.

The fact that you can, optionally, buy things in the gemshop does not make something that you receive without spending any money less free. If my local coffee shop is giving out free pastry samples, those pastries do not become less free just because I may also purchase a coffee.

That said, if spending money is a prerequisite for accessing something, such as LS chapters requiring an expansion purchase, the that something isnt free. At no additional charge, sure, but not free.

I do not know about the 'free to play' because I bought the base game when it first came out. So I did give them about $50 seven years ago. Later, I bought both expansions. The only gems I purchased are what came with the expansions (yes, I paid extra for that). All told I have probably paid $150 over 7 years. That was for the game. Which I play, and a fee gems that I have not spent all of (no interest is skins).

If you choose to spend any money in the gem store, it is your own choice, for the items you want. Does the gem store help fund development? Of course it does. But that does not change the fact that anything they give to everyone, that requires no extra purchase, is free. If you never bought the game you would not get the annual birthday present... but if you have the game, you do. That is a free gift. It took one initial purchase, but was not part of the purchase - it was a freebie added later.

Anything else you choose to buy is your purchasing choice. Anything they choose to give us, with no additional charge, is free. So... yes... free is free.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > > What is your point to this thread cos really I don't see it.

> > > > I think the point is in the end of the original post ...

> > > > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > > Content isn't 'free', it's very much funded, and ANet goes to great lengths to ensure it's funded. Is it really out of line that those funding it, at any level, want a say in what it is or isn't? Is there any indication I'm missing that ANet is actively engaged in understanding what it is or isn't different players want?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Indeed, it is. Thanks for reading the whole thing.

> >

> > And like I said... I spend my money on things I wish to purchase from the gemstore.. therefore I got what I paid for.

> > How ANET then choose to spend that money is entirely up to them and if they then choose to give to me content borne out of my spending choices then that's good for me cos it has cost me nothing other than what I paid for.

> >

> > So as I said what is the point of your thread, what are you trying to advocate for cos I see nothing.

> >

> > I am pretty sure the majority of this playerbase understands ANET is a business not a charity and everything they do has a cost to it, so how do you think they are suppose to fund it.. even my kids know money doesn't grow on trees, but it does not change the fact I got what I choose to pay for and then they gave me something extra out of generosity....

> >

>

> It's fine if you're content.

>

> However, it's not generosity, it's baked into the model, you can see it explicitly stated by O'Brien in the post two above yours. It's not free, it's funded through the model. I, for one, think having a say in what you're funding is ok here. As it is in every other business where there's two scenarios - business meets demand, or demand leaves. Before leaving it seems reasonable to explore the option of having the business understand how they're failing to engage or meet the demand.

This is called entitlement. You purchased a product, therefor you believe you are entitled to have a say in the development of future products. You don't. As you said previously, you also believe that by purchasing a product, you are investing in the company. In truth, you are not an investor, you are a consumer. Huge difference. Actual investors or shareholders, may or may not have a say in future development. Consumers, unless specifically requested by the supplier, do not.

Everything is perspective. What this game is is potentially. Because I choose to spend money on something doesn't mean I have to. It's like a museum I used to go to, that you could get in for free, but they ask for a donation. Clearly the museum doesn't run itself for no money and people donate. But other people don't have the money and don't donate. Or they don't care to support the museum.

Is it free for those people? Sure it is. It's free. They can go and see the exhibits and enjoy their day without spending money.

We can argue someone else is footing the bill, but it's free for them.

Also I disagree most people pay money, or much money anyway. At least from other games, we know that a small percentage of the population pays a huge amount of money, and a decent percent of the population pays nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of this games income comes from 10% of the population.