How to attack the Rift Barriers?

Tyncale.1629

I am currently trying this event: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catch_Brand_crystals_and_use_them_to_disrupt_the_rift I have no problem catching the fragments however when I get close to the rift to smash the shard into the barrier, I can not target the barrier. The skill stays unavailable (red lining), when I come too close to the target I get repelled and after a few seconds I lose the skill and have to catch a new shard. Only very occasionally the skill becomes available for a split second, too short to use the skill. What is the trick here? Could not find anything on google about this. Help would be appreciated. :)

It seems not to do anything to the barrier when I do that if the skill still had the red lining(i.e. is not targeting anything). It blows up the shard but does no damage to the barrier. It does seem to occasionally work but only because right at the moment the shard blows up, the red lining disappeared for a split second. The thing is, I managed to get into a rift once, and you have to use the same mechanic there against the Riftstalker, and that works just fine; you catch a shard, walk up to the Riftstalkers barrier and the skill becomes available (red lining disappears no problem). I have a feeling it should work the same with the Rift barriers but it is buggy or something.

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> It seems not to do anything to the barrier when I do that if the skill still had the red lining(i.e. is not targeting anything). It blows up the shard but does no damage to the barrier. It does seem to occasionally work but only because right at the moment the shard blows up, the red lining disappeared for a split second. The thing is, I managed to get into a rift once, and you have to use the same mechanic there against the Riftstalker, and that works just fine; you catch a shard, walk up to the Riftstalkers barrier and the skill becomes available (red lining disappears no problem). I have a feeling it should work the same with the Rift barriers but it is buggy or something.

Then you are probably not close enough. I did this event probably 100 times or more, and even after that many times I still couldn't consistently get to the right distance - I kept getting knocked back probably every other time or so. That's how close you need to be. You will still have the red line under it, but it will work once you get in there.

Is it bugged? No idea but it sure is counter-intuitive at the very least.