Holosmith: Could we have Holoforge bound to weapon swap, please?

Oglaf.1074

> @Samug.6512 said:

> Just bind your Profession Skill 5 to whatever your weapon swap is? How can you even play engineer with F1-F5?

As somebody who plays nearly every class, this isn't an option.

That said, a problem with having Photon Forge attached to weapon swap is that weapon swap is still used for a lot of things. Like leaving kits, or dropping bundles. It's way too complicated, so it is better to just sit on f5.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > @Samug.6512 said:

> > Just bind your Profession Skill 5 to whatever your weapon swap is? How can you even play engineer with F1-F5?

>

> As somebody who plays nearly every class, this isn't an option.

Yeah pretty much this. My Engi is basically just an alt pet project at this point.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > @Samug.6512 said:

> > Just bind your Profession Skill 5 to whatever your weapon swap is? How can you even play engineer with F1-F5?

>

> As somebody who plays nearly every class, this isn't an option.

>

> That said, a problem with having Photon Forge attached to weapon swap is that weapon swap is still used for a lot of things. Like leaving kits, or dropping bundles. It's way too complicated, so it is better to just sit on f5.

I play nearly every class as well, and it was pretty easy. I used the function keys for class mechanics for all of 15 minutes during beta before I remapped them.

> @insanemaniac.2456 said:

> i support this suggestion but i would like to retain the functionality of being able to (not) cancel your current action in the same way that you can with kits by either dropping (weapon swap) or switching (utility button drop). although i think pf cancels your current attack anyways when you overheat. :anguished:

Thank you, I was about to post this, that's far more frustrating. Cancelled so many abilities because I'm used to swapping kits during cast times. Kits if you "weapon swap" it'll cancel the skill, if you exit through "dropping the kit" it'll continue the cast. Likewise entering a kit won't cancel the skill you were using. Forge, cancels going in or out like a weapon swap. Lots of cool things about Holosmith, but there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't feel right.

> @ellesee.8297 said:

> It would be nice to be able to weapon swap out of photon forge like we can with kits.

For a profession with so many kits, and the photon forge, sans the bar, acting not at all different than a kit, this really needs to be done. It is way too confusing with how cancelling out of the photon forge is somehow different than cancelling out of a kit.

I have killed myself multiple times in fights I was winning because I swapped out of photon forge to a kit, then wanted to get out of the kit and back to the weapon, but hit the key to swap back to the photon forge instead when heat level was critical. This mainly happens because my mind is conflating the function of the 2 keys in the heat of the moment, since they feel like they are doing the exact same thing anyway.

> @Kaatora.3186 said:

> > @ellesee.8297 said:

> > It would be nice to be able to weapon swap out of photon forge like we can with kits.

>

> For a profession with so many kits, and the photon forge, sans the bar, acting not at all different than a kit

As I said, that's wrong. it is mechanically very different. More akin to Death Shroud of the Necromancer in how it works.

> @Oglaf.1074 said:

> As I said, that's wrong. it is mechanically very different. More akin to Death Shroud of the Necromancer in how it works.

Except photon forge is not at all mechanically different than a kit. Just because photon forge has a limited resource pool and changes the colour of the character does not make it closer to death shroud than a it is to a kit.

Death shroud:

* no access to utility skills

* separate life bar

* character changes form

* edges of the screen get a very noticeable green outline

* goes on cooldown when deactivated

None of those apply to photon forge.

Changing colour does not a form change make. Photon forge's colour change is akin to the colour change warrior gets while in berserk mode. And changing colour does not contribute to the WvW waypoint/loading/invisible weapon/invisible character bug (at least not so significant that it is noticeable), whereas changing forms is a massive contributor to it.