Artistic creativity and dye chanels

ROMANG.1903

It's secret to no one that having dyable mounts and armors is both a great thing for players, but also reduces the creative freedom of the artistic team behind those creations. Instead of being able to create intricate nuances, they need to stick to single colours. It's obvious when you compare the level of details on weapons and backpieces to that of armors and mounts.

I was just thinking, would it be possible to effectively make two versions of each dyable item in order to get the better of both worlds?

A mount skin for example, would display its base, undyable colours when no dye is used at all, leaving complete freedom to the creators to make all the intricacies they want.

But there would still be dye chanels, and if we apply even one dye, the mount skin would stop displaying in its undyable, intricate patern, and would instead switch to the dyable, block colours version we already know today.

Why do I care? As an aspiring artist myself, I imagine it must be difficult being restricted in your creativity in order to stick to a customizable system. Having a system that allows players to chose between customization or a higher level of details, offers more possibilities for everyone involved. Plus artists can create several intricate, undyable recolours, that players can select at will, and even add more of those recolours later on if they get more cool ideas. Even having this as a 2k-gems mounts exclusivity would already be an amazing feature in my opinion.

Writing this, I'm thinking this might be a great in-game feature for unlocking mount skins through achievments. One could unlock a single version of an intricate, undyable version of a mount, themed to the meta-achievment. The gemstore would still hold the exclusivity on dyable versions of these mounts. More in-game quality content without devaluating the purchases of people who paid for these mounts.

You are essentially asking for an alternative way of dyeing existing items. The answer is basically going to boil down to the same problem as to why weapons and older back items aren't dyable - they weren;t designed for it and the work to retroact those would be too much.

Doing what you suggest here, is not a fast and easy task. Every armour, every mount skin would need to be looked at.

Whilst I have no issue in the desire to want more dyeable options and custom ability (as long as it doesn't encourage more luminous, flourescent mosntrosities I see every day), this is simply going to be a flat no I would think

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> You are essentially asking for an alternative way of dyeing existing items. The answer is basically going to boil down to the same problem as to why weapons and older back items aren't dyable - they weren;t designed for it and the work to retroact those would be too much.

I can only assume, but I'd say adding non-dyable layers to an item that was designed to be dyable should be easier than adding dyable layers to an item that wasn't designed to be dyable. Dyable items sometimes have non-dyable parts.

> Doing what you suggest here, is not a fast and easy task. Every armour, every mount skin would need to be looked at.

Or maybe not, perhaps at first it can be exclusive to 2K gems mount skins?