Staying alive as a dragonhunter

DoRi Silvia.4159

Hi guys

I've been only playing a warrior and a rev in the near 7years of owning this game and recently decided to gear up a Dh as I had materials.

I've geared up fully berserker's and followed traits and build from metabattle

Only issue is the health pool. With only 11k health I find my self not able to concentrate on rotations but rather on my health all the time.

I'll be honest I'm struggling in the open world with the health pool so small i find my self getting downed alot.. yes I'm using dodge's..

What are some tactics you guys use as a long time DH player to stay alive longer or not die at all :p

Use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAw2NlVwAZeMHWJO2X5tcA-zRIYRExfGtJEqQEo4ZR/XL-e

Food and utility don't actually matter so use whatever you like if anything. You can use GS instead of either weapon set as well, though I would recommend this setup. Going double-melee is very advantageous in some situations but if you run into an unexpected situation where you need range, it sucks to be without it.

As a Guardian you will want to blow up your opponent before they get a chance to retaliate. What helps is having a burst weapon, and Sword is that type. GS is as well but less so. Longbow is good for poking your opponent at a distance. I don't recommend Scepter for OW. If you run into a situation where you have multiple opponents, Scepter is terrible as you won't be able to lock down more than 1 opponent at a time. Staff is also an option but I'd argue Longbow is better in this build.

A good burst means a fast rotation. With S/F you would go in order: 4, F1, 5, 2, 3. This should all happen in less than 3 seconds, and any standard enemy is dead at this point. For a veteran mob you continue with a damage trap bomb(Procession of Blades+Dragon's Maw), or in case you're double melee with GS as your second set, swap weapons and do your GS burst rotation(5 once and let it tick, then 4 into 2). For a group of opponents, port in with either Sw2 or JI, then drop your trap bomb to group them up. Then just Symbol up and start using cleave/AoE.

Personally I OW with a Zerk DH, and I'm very rarely in over my head.

> @"DoRi Silvia.4159" said:

> Hi guys

> I've been only playing a warrior and a rev in the near 7years of owning this game and recently decided to gear up a Dh as I had materials.

>

> I've geared up fully berserker's and followed traits and build from metabattle

> Only issue is the health pool. With only 11k health I find my self not able to concentrate on rotations but rather on my health all the time.

> I'll be honest I'm struggling in the open world with the health pool so small i find my self getting downed alot.. yes I'm using dodge's..

>

> What are some tactics you guys use as a long time DH player to stay alive longer or not die at all :p

PvE heavy classes survivability as dps:

Rev

Guardian

Warrior

OW having 1-1.5K extra HP is useful. Litany of Wraith is not only full heal, it is near 6 sec of invulnerability. And with Precision Blade and SoJ you can annihilate most mobs before they even have a chance to do anything.

The big mistake I see most people make as DH in open world is use raid utilities and runes. Do not. Major loss of dps and probably sustain. I use Fire Work runes, LoW, Save Yourselves, PB, SoJ and Feel My Wraith. Food with concentration. You will get good offensive and defensive boons for a pretty good duration, with 100% retaliation and fury.

Start with sword symbol. Instant blind. Follow with Spear, which is another blind. This should shut down most of the damage from 1 mob.

> @"otto.5684" said:

>

> PvE heavy classes survivability as dps:

> Rev

> Guardian

> Warrior

>

> OW having 1-1.5K extra HP is useful. Litany of Wraith is not only full heal, it is near 6 sec of invulnerability. And with Precision Blade and SoJ you can annihilate most mobs before they even have a chance to do anything.

>

> The big mistake I see most people make as DH in open world is use raid utilities and runes. Do not. Major loss of dps and probably sustain. I use Fire Work runes, LoW, Save Yourselves, PB, SoJ and Feel My Wraith. Food with concentration. You will get good offensive and defensive boons for a pretty good duration, with 100% retaliation and fury.

>

> Start with sword symbol. Instant blind. Follow with Spear, which is another blind. This should shut down most of the damage from 1 mob.

There is nothing bad about running raid gear and runes. However, due to the varying nature of PvE open world content, utilities and trais should remain flexible. I run Snowcrows' Power DH raid build in open world all the time, partly because I'm to cheap and lazy to make another set of gear for open world and story, but mainly because I am a junky for big DPS bursts and believe that the faster I kill stuff the less likely that I'll need any heals or cleanses. Very seldom do I run into dificulties but being a raid build the relies on others for healing and condi cleanse, stability, it sometimes becomes an issue. When that happens I'll just swap out a trap for some cleanses or stability or if I'm in an area with lots of trash mobs I'll swap the big game hunter trait for hunter's fortification. If I'm really having a hard time I'll drop Zeal and go Honor for extra healing.

I always bring a bow and swap out sceptor when I need to. My go to heal is also Litany of Wrath, best heal in the game IMHO. Also the bigger the DPS, the more it heals. Pop your heal, drop a trap, spirit sword, symbol and spin to win on you GS will usually bring you to full health and kill anything that was hurting you at the same time. It's ridiculously powerful.

• 4 weeks later...

You can use this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWgAENlFwcYfYl4Qv83SB-zRZYBRFqfIIBxwGj2lQlMQ9A-e

I normally use something like this.

Its basically the raid build in terms of traits.

For armour Maruder's armour with Pack runes for boons. Trinkets are all Berserkers expect for 1 ring which is Valkyrie.

(I use Valkyrie ring is as you go over 100% crit chance when under both fury and Retaliation so extra crit isnt needed my view, more HP is welcome on DH)

It uses GS as that is the only way of getting Retaliation that build, but if you get both Retal and fury you'll get 100% crit,

Use Blade Trap and GS4 together. The 8 skill is a stun break but also converts all condi, I prefer this over Smite condition.

I left the last one empty for you, so you add what you want, I would recommend the Sword of justice or Signet of Judgement for an extra stun break plus retal. but you can always go for judge's intervation. its up to you.