The future with new Hardware

nassaya.7109

Good evening, i wanted to post something that was bugging me a while now. A few weeks ago i had preformance isseus with GW2. My current setup is a Zen2 3800X Gskill TridentZ memory a few Samsung M.2 SSD's and a Asus STRIX 5700XT.

So back to the preformance isseus i've been chatting back an forth with support about the extreme frame drops. The drops where so extreme that playing was impossible 1FPS. The things i noticed where that the gpu didn't had to do anywork. To rule things out i played other games like ARK and even put the original GW in the list. For example when playing ARK nothing out of the ordinary. When playing GW2 nothing but problems. Did extensive troubleshooting and even reinstalled a fresh windows with a fresh game. Yet to this day i still have the same problems.

This isn't a post to ask for support. And i don't know if i have categorize it as does this game need a engine update, but it sure needs optimazation. Support did say maybe try the DX12 tool, we can't officially support it but maybe it helps. So to me this feels more like the game losses compatibility with newer hardware. This game can't utilize the newer hardware so it runs like kitten.

What is Anet stance towards this? Sooner or later the game wil lose compatibility with the hardware. I'm no expert but this might be the first signs of it. Like i said this isn't a plee for support but a open disscussion about this game aging to a point that it's doesn't want to run properly on modern hardware. One can't deny that DX9 is an old fart, and can't blame that it needs be faced out.

Cheers

> @"nassaya.7109" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > The issue isn’t with the DX version but with the engine/coding.

>

> Then it needs some love. ^^ But the 5700XT is RDNA card and my old RX480 is GCN. And that one works beter so who needs to adress this? In my case AMD or Anet?

Unfortunately that would probably require a complete overhaul with the game which would be much better spent making an entirely new game. They have been doing improvements over the years but I don’t see it being substantial enough to meet the expectations that a lot of players have in regards to performance.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"nassaya.7109" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > The issue isn’t with the DX version but with the engine/coding.

> >

> > Then it needs some love. ^^ But the 5700XT is RDNA card and my old RX480 is GCN. And that one works beter so who needs to adress this? In my case AMD or Anet?

>

> Unfortunately that would probably require a complete overhaul with the game which would be much better spent making an entirely new game. They have been doing improvements over the years but I don’t see it being substantial enough to meet the expectations that a lot of players have in regards to performance.

You might be right about a new game when it come to time and effort ^^ it's just a shame a person wil leave this game becouse they can't optimize anymore. And problem with preformance are just to much to bare.

> @"nassaya.7109" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > The issue isn’t with the DX version but with the engine/coding.

>

> Then it needs some love. ^^ But the 5700XT is RDNA card and my old RX480 is GCN. And that one works beter so who needs to adress this? In my case AMD or Anet?

It really depends on usage. Check if the game is maxing out (90%+ use) on one of your cores, then it's a CPU usage issue that only Anet can "solve".

However, the 5xxx AMD cards are notorious for some terrible performance on DX9 games, so if it's your GPU that is the problem (if no single CPU core reaches 100% usage) then your best bet is with AMD to fix their messy drivers.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > The issue isn’t with the DX version but with the engine/coding.

> >

> > Then it needs some love. ^^ But the 5700XT is RDNA card and my old RX480 is GCN. And that one works beter so who needs to adress this? In my case AMD or Anet?

>

> It really depends on usage. Check if the game is maxing out (90%+ use) on one of your cores, then it's a CPU usage issue that only Anet can "solve".

> However, the 5xxx AMD cards are notorious for some terrible performance on DX9 games, so if it's your GPU that is the problem (if no single CPU core reaches 100% usage) then your best bet is with AMD to fix their messy drivers.

The CPU isn't maxed out. When it comes to the gpu it maxes out at 50% and thats my 5700XT. The rx480 doesn't have that problem. So maybe the RDNA runs bad in DX9, it's a old fart of an API. So maybe they are facing it out of support. So maybe it's a RDNA and GW2 conflict internaly. But who needs to adres this? GW2 engine also is an old fart ^^ Does AMD need to fix there Drivers for a very old API or does ANet need to up there game to update in an way for longtivty?

For example ARK is DX11 and i have no problems with that game. Minus the huge amount of dealbreaking bugs they leave in the game :expressionless:

> @"nassaya.7109" said:

> The CPU isn't maxed out. When it comes to the gpu it maxes out at 50% and thats my 5700XT. The rx480 doesn't have that problem. So maybe the RDNA runs bad in DX9, it's a old fart of an API. So maybe they are facing it out of support. So maybe it's a RDNA and GW2 conflict internaly. But who needs to adres this? GW2 engine also is an old fart ^^ Does AMD need to fix there Drivers for a very old API or does ANet need to up there game to update in an way for longtivty?

>

> For example ARK is DX11 and i have no problems with that game. Minus the huge amount of dealbreaking bugs they leave in the game :expressionless:

If your CPU isn't maxing out then AMD needs to fix their drivers. There are reports of their newer cards failing spectacularly at old video games.

Even some people saying that 5700XT doesn't support DirectX 9 lol

If the RX480 was running on the same system try wiping clean the drivers and re-install the new ones. Start fresh and your issues might be solved, if not wait, like all other 5xxx owners, for AMD to get their act together.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > The CPU isn't maxed out. When it comes to the gpu it maxes out at 50% and thats my 5700XT. The rx480 doesn't have that problem. So maybe the RDNA runs bad in DX9, it's a old fart of an API. So maybe they are facing it out of support. So maybe it's a RDNA and GW2 conflict internaly. But who needs to adres this? GW2 engine also is an old fart ^^ Does AMD need to fix there Drivers for a very old API or does ANet need to up there game to update in an way for longtivty?

> >

> > For example ARK is DX11 and i have no problems with that game. Minus the huge amount of dealbreaking bugs they leave in the game :expressionless:

>

> If your CPU isn't maxing out then AMD needs to fix their drivers. There are reports of their newer cards failing spectacularly at old video games.

> Even some people saying that 5700XT doesn't support DirectX 9 lol

>

> If the RX480 was running on the same system try wiping clean the drivers and re-install the new ones. Start fresh and your issues might be solved, if not wait, like all other 5xxx owners, for AMD to get their act together.

As for the whole old card and driver stuff, Been there done that :). A whole week and many communications between support and me. Even reinstall of windows and fresh game install has been done.

As for the lack of DX9 support in the new card, i have mixed feelings about it. Yes it's a shame that they maybe have stopped support of that API. But i'm not suprised, it had to stop sometime. It has been replaced 3 times and maybe it's time to let it go. Let's say that happend, then for progression sake maybe some old games for sake of longtivity should embrace and update to their game. If not this might be the end for some games becouse they can't or will not update there engine.

Using D9VK or dx12pxy will still help because they thread (offload) the graphics pipeline allowing the game to make more use of the CPU. Normally just calling the graphics API takes up overhead from the CPU since the game is poorly threaded.

And D9VK and NVIDIA Threaded Optimisations is improving all the time, which helps too.

Please understand this is not a GW2 problem. There are hundreds of thousands of games that were designed this way since single-core CPU was the norm for something like 35-40 years, and even now some games are designed this way. It's always going to be a problem, especially when running legacy games or games based upon old engines, its just a fact of computers.

Other optimisations that I know of on NV cards in particular to make the game smoother:

- Enable Threaded Optimisations.

- Enable Triple Buffering and VSync, you need both and TB keeps VSync from lowering FPS.

- Increase maximum latency aka Pre-Render Frames.

I don't know anything about modern AMD/ATI though.

And for all hardware make sure Character Model Limit is always set to Lowest, and nameplates are turned on. The biggest impact on the game comes from the complexity of player models, not the game world, so hiding them helps immensely.