GW2 Client - Upgrades? (would be nice to have Anet's response)

Tao.5096

Hey,

Back when Heart of Thrones has been released, we have started to have 64-bit client support.

First beta, then stable release.

Is there any chance to go forward with such changes?

I'm more thinking about going for Vulcan support or at least try to make GW2 (and next game projects) to support it.

What are the cons which would make it either difficult or not possible to move into that direction?

Are there any other technology or feature upgrades that would be nice to have on client side?

I doubt Anet will ever respond, as this would be discussing long term plans, and companies tend not to like to do that. And any even noncommital comment (we may support DX12 at some point) then gets people say 'Anet says they plan to add DX12', and then people asking when that will be done, etc.

Is there a chance? Sure. There is also a chance I might win the lottery, just incredibly low.

The main reason not to do this is that it is some amount of engineering work, testing to make sure you don't break anything, etc. And if you have finite resources (which is what everyone has), you then have to ask if that is in the list of high priorities. Or perhaps more to the point, will that result in more money for Anet.

The bigger issue is that better multithreading support is needed - 4 cores is common for most desktops, and 8 or more not uncommon. but GW2 doesn't make good use of all of those. There is probably more to be gained by doing that, but that also is not easily visible to end users, and from Anets previous comments, is not something that is easy to do with the current code.