Would you want Henchmen/Mercs for Private Instances?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > > > > Mercs? Yes please! One of the worse things about this game is being forced to wait around (sometimes for days) for people to do content with...meta events being the obvious exception. That is unacceptable...I should be able to do group events, dungeons, and fractals the very moment that I decide to do them.

> > > >

> > > > Yes because having dead weight around you is gonna be a lot better. Why exactly do you fail at soloing group events, dungeons and fractals?

> > >

> > > Why? Because I have large hands/fingers, plus I'm not very dexterous, so executing rapid keystrokes is very difficult for me.

> >

> > I guess the better question would've been why do you think having an NPC helper would allow you to finish group events, dungeons and fractals.

> > Hint: they aren't going to be better than any kind of player

>

> I'm not saying that AI mercs would be better than other players, from a tactical point of view, I'm saying that for me and my playstyle AI mercs are superior because I can employ them right there, on the spot. Like I said before: I don't want to have to wait around for people to come and help me with events, dungeons, or fractals...more often than not, I could have the content completed long before any players show up.

And what you don't understand is that the reason a player cannot beat the content solo is the same why an AI "merc" won't be any helpful either. Just take a look at the NPC allies, remove their health (because players do not have lots of health, NPC allies do) and see how useful they are going to be in actual combat. And that's only for regular combat, good group events require a good amount of splitting up, something the AI won't be able to perform in any capacity. An AI ally will be as useful in combat (especially if they are using player skills like the suggestion) as having a newborn baby playing the same character (hint: not very useful)

I'd much rather have the AI already there FIXED than introduce more AI that completely ignores me when I get in a downed state or die. I hate redoing some of the living season episodes because of it. Oh thanks Marjory, I'll try and fight this by myself while you twiddle your thumbs off on the side and not engage in the fight at all.

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > > > > Mercs? Yes please! One of the worse things about this game is being forced to wait around (sometimes for days) for people to do content with...meta events being the obvious exception. That is unacceptable...I should be able to do group events, dungeons, and fractals the very moment that I decide to do them.

> > > >

> > > > Unacceptable? It's the definition of what an MMO is. Join a guild if you need others to help with content. That's kinda the reason they're there.

> > >

> > > I'm here for the persistent world...I don't care about anything else. I'll take AI mercs over other players any day of the week.

> >

> > Perhaps MMOs are the style of game that you prefer? This isn't a "leave!" comment; rather, just pointing out that you appear to be advocating for things that go against the genre/style of GW2

>

> So, you're saying that all activities outside of guild activities are not valid parts of an MMO? For example: doing meta events has nothing to do with being in a guild...I've done hundreds of meta events without guilds being present as an organizing factor. Also, being in a guild doesn't guaranty that I'll be able to accomplish my objective on the spot, like I want to...with AI mercs I can do that; indeed, with AI mercs I can, more often than not, have my objective completed before my guildmates ever show up.

>

> Like I said: I'll take solo-play and AI mercs over regular players any day of the week.

>

> ps...most people don't belong to actual guilds, they are soloing their guild.

No, I'm saying that activities in general in an MMO usually require other players to complete. If they didn't, then the game really wouldn't qualify as an MMO. GW2 offers several ways to complete content: LFG, guilds and PUGs. True, you can attempt content solo, but I don't believe that this is the intent of GW2 due to its design. This is also why I don't believe adding AI mercs/henchmen would work or even be necessary.