[Suggestion] Invisible Commander Tag

Galmac.4680

Wow there's a lot of people misunderstanding the request here!

1) It's already possible to form a squad without a tag. Has been for upwards of two years now, iirc. **That's not what's being asked for.**

2) A commanderless squad can't make use of squad markers (square/circle/etc). **This is part of what's being asked for.**

What is also asked for is having a tag that's only visible for squad members, for when a guild is doing stuff unrelated to events or otherwise *not relevant for other players*. This could however be worked around with squad markers.

> @Danikat.8537 said:

> > @notebene.3190 said:

> > > @Danikat.8537 said:

> > > A lot of people use commander tags/squads in PvE maps for things like guild missions, player-created events, or helping groups through things like jumping puzzles.

> > >

> > > In all those cases it's completely pointless for strangers to show up expecting a big event they can join in on, because they're going to be disappointed. But it happens, because some people have this auto-pilot thing where they see a commander tag and run over to join in with whatever they imagine might be happening.

> > >

> > > An invisible commander tag, or one only visible to people already in the squad, would be a great solution.

> >

> > Other than jumping puzzles, which lots of people could benefit from, the examples are seem hand picked. It's for all those other things "not" listed where it might be beneficial for someone to swing by in the hopes of getting something done they were hoping to do. If they show up and it's a marriage, the only person who is out anything is "the stranger". If it's killing a champ or getting a hero point done or a tough event, well they get to help participate in open world content.

>

> I'm not sure what you're getting at here, or what you mean by "the examples seem hand picked". If the squad is doing open-world content then yes of course other people can, and probably will, join in - with or without a commander tag.

>

> But when they're using a tag for something other people can't join in on it gets awkward. It's not just the strangers who show up who end up losing out - the commander (and therefore the whole squad) has to stop what they're doing to explain that no there's not an event chain starting soon, or anything else the stranger can participate in, just...whatever they were doing. (Or ignore the stranger, who is likely running and jumping around the group - either because they think they're killing time waiting for an event or because they're trying to get someone to answer their questions about what's going on.)

>

> On a bad day the stranger gets angry that they were mislead by the tag and decides to lecture the group on their personal definition of when and how to use a commander tag. And then once it's all settled the next stranger shows up and it starts over again.

>

> For an extreme example take Pink Day in LA. It's a very long, player created and run event in the game's main city. In previous years I've spent literally hours doing little more than explaining in chat what's happening, why, how it works, why we're using commander tags etc. over and over to different people who show up after the previous explanation or weren't paying attention to chat at the time. In that case it's fine - the whole point of the event is to attract as much attention as possible. But doing the same when you just want to get on and play with your little group of friends gets frustrating.

That's fair. I'm more concerned about it mechanically being used (abused?) in a manner completely opposite of the scenarios you put forward. Where people purposefully hide groups to avoid the spirit of general, open world content.

> @Galmac.4680 said:

> Just an idea for some QoL:

> As I run around in the world of Tyria, often with small groups, it would be nice to have the abilities of a commander (with all the marking), but with my commander tag invisible to others on the map. I don't want to have unknown players approaching to see what we are doing, just run around the world, tag several objects and do stuff.

I'd be opposed to this for a simple reason.

If you're in a group that has a commander and you're doing something - you kind of need to know if the map you've landed on already has a commander out there collecting people and doing content. Maps fill up... if you see a commander there already, you know your own group might have trouble all getting into the map, and might do something to move elsewhere or get to a new instance of the map before it becomes an issue.

Also... if you're doing something like a bounty, it can be very useful to know that another group is headed to one of them and likely to complete it before your folks get there... so you can avoid that and move to something else.

My guild does a bounty and missions thing on the weekend - and seeing other commander's symbols on the map saved us a lot of trouble multiple times.

If you want to go incognito, don't use the tag... and just form a party...

• 3 weeks later...

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> [As of six month's ago](https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Can-we-have-something-Private-Tag/6554291 "As of six month's ago"), ANet was still against hiding commander tags

>

> > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759"

> > ...we try to avoid adding features that can be used to exclude players.

>

> (This was written in the context of WvW, but it's hard to imagine ANet applying a different philosophy in PvE.)

@McKenna Berdrow.2759 - Haha, yeah, kinda like Raids in-game right?

ANet's stupid if they think that players can't be excluded in other ways. Heck, just tag up and then have all your squad members tell the randos to eff off. Almost as effective as not tagging up or having a leaderless squad as I'm sure most people would just go away after that. With enough people doing that, perhaps the randos will eventually get fed up and leave WvW all together, which is obviously what ANet would like by trying to force people to let other people play with them. :)

When my guild wants to run a tag and allow randos, they leave the squad open. They have to do a leaderless squad when they want to do something private in-guild. It would be nice to have access to markers and a tag to follow so targets could be used for marking other enemy players, etc.

Also, using private chats (squad/party) to map hop will also leave randos behind regardless of whether or not a tag is visible.