Only lesbians, AGAIN?!?!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, though, I think we all need to take a step back and discuss what's truly important here. Why aren't there more interracial couples in GW2? You really think a Charr never looked at an Asura and thought, "I want to hit that"? Seriously GW2, where is the realism?!?!

> @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > > > @"Chicken Fro.6953" said:

> > > > I'd honestly prefer they just keep it all out of the *game.* :) Too many fires get started between people. Honestly, no offense to *anyone.* I would truly just rather leave this content in the real world.

> > >

> > > It's like saying "I'd prefer to not see black people in the game."

> > > Arbitrarily removing a demographic and saying "no offense" is just nonsense. If someone gets upset by demographics, that's their own issue they need to work through.

> >

> > While I disagree with Chicken, he/she clearly does not mean it in that way.

>

> It doesn't matter how they meant it, it is still as nonsensical as removing all black people from the game. They don't want a demographic to be represented because some people find that demographic "offensive". That's just illogical and silly.

No it is not. You're drawing parallels that aren't accurate in order to make his/her argument worse than it is. They clearly meant they'd rather not see sexual things whatsoever in games - that is not comparable to them saying they don't want to see black people. That is such a ridiclous strawman argument and you should kinda feel bad for trying to get away with it.

> @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > > > > @"Chicken Fro.6953" said:

> > > > > I'd honestly prefer they just keep it all out of the *game.* :) Too many fires get started between people. Honestly, no offense to *anyone.* I would truly just rather leave this content in the real world.

> > > >

> > > > It's like saying "I'd prefer to not see black people in the game."

> > > > Arbitrarily removing a demographic and saying "no offense" is just nonsense. If someone gets upset by demographics, that's their own issue they need to work through.

> > >

> > > While I disagree with Chicken, he/she clearly does not mean it in that way.

> >

> > It doesn't matter how they meant it, it is still as nonsensical as removing all black people from the game. They don't want a demographic to be represented because some people find that demographic "offensive". That's just illogical and silly.

>

> No it is not. You're drawing parallels that aren't accurate in order to make his/her argument worse than it is. They clearly meant they'd rather not see sexual things whatsoever in games - that is not comparable to them saying they don't want to see black people. That is such a ridiclous strawman argument and you should kinda feel bad for trying to get away with it.

Then Anet would have to remove the romance between Logan and Jenna and about 10,000 other references, which would be silly and illogical and would hurt the game world for no material reason. Sorry, but it is a flawed argument. People who expect to not have to encounter benign LGBT characters in game need to adjust their expectations and stop being homophobic.

> @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > @Fluffball.8307 said:

> > > > > > @"Chicken Fro.6953" said:

> > > > > > I'd honestly prefer they just keep it all out of the *game.* :) Too many fires get started between people. Honestly, no offense to *anyone.* I would truly just rather leave this content in the real world.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's like saying "I'd prefer to not see black people in the game."

> > > > > Arbitrarily removing a demographic and saying "no offense" is just nonsense. If someone gets upset by demographics, that's their own issue they need to work through.

> > > >

> > > > While I disagree with Chicken, he/she clearly does not mean it in that way.

> > >

> > > It doesn't matter how they meant it, it is still as nonsensical as removing all black people from the game. They don't want a demographic to be represented because some people find that demographic "offensive". That's just illogical and silly.

> >

> > No it is not. You're drawing parallels that aren't accurate in order to make his/her argument worse than it is. They clearly meant they'd rather not see sexual things whatsoever in games - that is not comparable to them saying they don't want to see black people. That is such a ridiclous strawman argument and you should kinda feel bad for trying to get away with it.

>

>Sorry, but it is a flawed argument. People who expect to not have to encounter benign LGBT characters in game need to adjust their expectations and stop being homophobic.

Sigh. You too? Chicken was not targeting a specific demographic at all. Not black people, not LGBT people.

As I said, I don't agree with Chicken. I feel that "vidja gayms" is a mature and legit enough artform to be allowed to feature sexual content. However, it irks me profoundly when someone strawmans another person like that, so eventhough I disagree with them I felt compelled to defend them. Counter their actual argument, not one that you make up for them to have said.

Since this thread is still going on I would like to comment, because why not.

I think GW2 is very far away from shoving any agenda onto people. Sexuality, gender or orientation are never part of main story or side story of the game. Whenever these topics appear in game they are nothing more but background trivia for characters. For the main story, Jory and Kas being a couple is no different to Logan being in friendzone with Jennah. It can only be an issue for people who already have issues with such subjects outside of Tyria.

That being said I'm not fan of Jory and Kasmeer. Not because of their relationship but because how uninteresting characters they are. Meanwhile I like Caithe X Faoline story as it's more of a tragic drama and different life goals that broke them apart.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> That being said I'm not fan of Jory and Kasmeer. Not because of their relationship but because how uninteresting characters they are. Meanwhile I like Caithe X Faoline story as it's more of a tragic drama and different life goals that broke them apart.

Jory and Kasmeer are like 99% stock/generic lesbian couple, 1% interesting characters. Ugh.

That is why they are far more better characters when apart from one another.

Which is really just down to poor writing in the end, honestly. Nothing to do with their orientation - if a straight couple were likewise just definied solely by their shared romantic relationship, they'd be terrible characters as well.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> Since this thread is still going on I would like to comment, because why not.

>

> I think GW2 is very far away from shoving any agenda onto people. Sexuality, gender or orientation are never part of main story or side story of the game. Whenever these topics appear in game they are nothing more but background trivia for characters. For the main story, Jory and Kas being a couple is no different to Logan being in friendzone with Jennah. It can only be an issue for people who already have issues with such subjects outside of Tyria.

>

> That being said I'm not fan of Jory and Kasmeer. Not because of their relationship but because how uninteresting characters they are. Meanwhile I like Caithe X Faoline story as it's more of a tragic drama and different life goals that broke them apart.

I'm still waiting for the Rytlock and Zoija arc. When the two of them return to Glint's lair to see Big Snaff, Rytlock professes his love for Zoija, and the two of them fall madly in love and make little kitty offspring to populate your home instance. MORE KITTENS!

> @Chickenooble.5014 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > Since this thread is still going on I would like to comment, because why not.

> >

> > I think GW2 is very far away from shoving any agenda onto people. Sexuality, gender or orientation are never part of main story or side story of the game. Whenever these topics appear in game they are nothing more but background trivia for characters. For the main story, Jory and Kas being a couple is no different to Logan being in friendzone with Jennah. It can only be an issue for people who already have issues with such subjects outside of Tyria.

> >

> > That being said I'm not fan of Jory and Kasmeer. Not because of their relationship but because how uninteresting characters they are. Meanwhile I like Caithe X Faoline story as it's more of a tragic drama and different life goals that broke them apart.

> I'm still waiting for the Rytlock and Zoija arc. When the two of them return to Glint's lair to see Big Snaff, Rytlock professes his love for Zoija, and the two of them fall madly in love and make little kitty offspring to populate your home instance. MORE KITTENS!

Then Rox goes yandere and murders everyone.

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > @Panda.1967 said:

> > They may have a history of putting lesbian couples more in the front line of things (Caithe & Faolin, Marjory & Kasmeer)... but there actually are quite a few gay couples throughout the game. As someone already mentioned, there is in fact a gay Sylvari couple in the Sylvari Personal Story, there are also a few gay Sylvari couples that can be located in The Grove by anyone. I don't remember which settlement it was in, but in one of the human towns you can overhear a conversation where a male proudly proclaims "I'm glad I married my husband". In fact, there are actually more gay couples located throughout the world in open areas of the map than there are lesbian couples, you just have to explore and find them.

>

> Interesting point. Thank you. I was not aware of the sylvari personal story (Ive not done it since shortly after launch).

>

> Still, among major recurring characters, lesbian relationships are the most common. Im not sure if there are any gay or straight couples among major characters in the game.

For gay couples among major characters, there don't appear to be any at this time. However, that doesn't mean they don't exist or won't exist, it is quite possible that one or more of the major characters who have appeared in the story are gay though their orientation isn't made public, there is dialog and events that suggest that Trahearne may have been gay.

As for straight couples, there are absolutely a few. Eir had husband Borje. Logan is romantically interested in Queen Jennah. Braham and Rox are heavily suggested to be more than just friends, Dialog between the two, and between your character and either of them about the other, heavily implies that the two of them are in fact a couple.

Romance and love drives people. It creates stories. It's a huge part of the human condition. Deleting it from the game doesn't sound right. LGBT+ people exist, have romances too and the romances are not any more sexual than those of straight couples which of there is plenty.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> Meanwhile I like Caithe X Faoline story as it's more of a tragic drama and different life goals that broke them apart.

I really liked the Caithe/Faolain relationship too. Maybe it is because of it being tragic. I'm not sure. There was another story similar to it in one of the Sylvari storylines where a (straight) couple was divided because one of them joined the Nightmare Court. It was similar, and it also pulled my heart strings, but not as much. I love both Caithe and Faolain.

The Logan/Queen Jennah one is annoying. I like the jabs Anise takes at him now and then, though. (But I really hate Logan. There is nothing he could do to redeem himself in my eyes.) I like to think Rytlock left him for Canach and Jennah will end up with Anise.

The Kasmeer/Marjory relationship seemed a bit forced and shallow. They have some interesting elements to their characters. I kinda wish they would play around with the characters more than just "they're lesbians". It does seem forced because of the shallowness of it. I think a lot of media is afraid to dare to make "LGBT" characters with any real flaws. I think that may be one of the reason some of those characters tend to be written with less depth. It's a shame, though, since we're all people and we all have flaws, some of them major.

> @Shard.4791 said:

> LGBT+ people exist, have romances too and the romances are not any more sexual than those of straight couples which of there is plenty.

I think only Lesibans exist in Tyria. No Gay or Bisexuals exist as far as I know -- the guys in King Joko's harem are just there for board games... Sylvari as Asexual. And anyone can be Transexual/Transracial for 1000 gems.