"Purchasing" decorations from Fion - why only one at a time?

For the same reason why you can't simply join stacks in guild bank, but need to remove the item to your inventory, join, and place it back in the guild bank again. Any operations on shared inventories (as opposed to your personal ones) run through several layers of additional security to make sure nothing breaks if two people will start interacting with the same item at the same time. That unfortunately results in a worse response level and QoL.

TL/DR;

Because the stuff you buy from that vendor doesn't end up in your personal inventory, but in a guild-shared space.

But then why can I even buy one? If two of us were somehow adding the pieces simultaneously, then both of us would still be incrementing the same number. Surely it doesn't matter whether I increment that number by 1 or by 12?

There are three differences that I can see (not being the database programmer) between the two methods of adding items into the guild storage.

First, The stacks in the general guild bank are different - anything like dyes or minis or arrow carts can be placed anywhere in the guild bank. So the item, item count, and the placement in the guild bank are three variables that must be tracked. Statue pieces are stored in the one place, so item ID and storage space ID are constants, with item count a variable.

Second, dyes, minis, arrow carts can be placed/taken from numerous locations, such as in all the home areas. I don't need to be in the guild hall to add these items. Fion is the only method through which to add decoration pieces, so the method of adding is a constant.

Third, yes, I have to take out the pre-existing dyes, minis, arrow carts to add my stack and put them back. I have to do this irrespective of whether I am adding 1 dye, mini, or arrow cart, or adding 12 of the same dye, or mini, or arrow cart. But for the statue pieces, I literally can't remove them into my inventory to do the add. To add 1 piece to the statue count, I have to interact with Fion and add the piece there, to the pre-existing count. I select the piece that I can add, and click an "Add" button. This means that my increment of 1 is always added to a the previous count of statue pieces that remain held in decoration storage. I don't remove a stack of pieces, add my pieces, and put the pieces back into decoration storage via Fion. As this is the method to add 1 piece, why not add more than one piece?

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> But then why can I even buy one? If two of us were somehow adding the pieces simultaneously, then both of us would still be incrementing the same number. Surely it doesn't matter whether I increment that number by 1 or by 12?

>

> There are three differences that I can see (not being the database programmer) between the two methods of adding items into the guild storage.

> First, The stacks in the general guild bank are different - anything like dyes or minis or arrow carts can be placed anywhere in the guild bank. So the item, item count, and the placement in the guild bank are three variables that must be tracked. Statue pieces are stored in the one place, so item ID and storage space ID are constants, with item count a variable.

>

> Second, dyes, minis, arrow carts can be placed/taken from numerous locations, such as in all the home areas. I don't need to be in the guild hall to add these items. Fion is the only method through which to add decoration pieces, so the method of adding is a constant.

>

> Third, yes, I have to take out the pre-existing dyes, minis, arrow carts to add my stack and put them back. I have to do this irrespective of whether I am adding 1 dye, mini, or arrow cart, or adding 12 of the same dye, or mini, or arrow cart. But for the statue pieces, I literally can't remove them into my inventory to do the add. To add 1 piece to the statue count, I have to interact with Fion and add the piece there, to the pre-existing count. I select the piece that I can add, and click an "Add" button. This means that my increment of 1 is always added to a the previous count of statue pieces that remain held in decoration storage. I don't remove a stack of pieces, add my pieces, and put the pieces back into decoration storage via Fion. As this is the method to add 1 piece, why not add more than one piece?

All those things are assuming they built a separate system for storing the decorations but that isn't necessarily the case.

If they just reused the same system as the guild bank then it will inherit all the same deficiencies.

The whole system seems weird and overly complicatated. For example when you buy a decoration you are actually buying an item which is instantly and automatically consumed which causes the decoration to be added to the guild storage. This can be seen when the add fails and the item is refunded into your inventory at which point they function like the decoration pieces that drop from raids where you can double click to add them.