Is it just or me or is the in-game community becoming more and more toxic?

> @"Naomi Nightfisher.4138" said:

> I havent noticed anything, but I only started a few months ago. I find this community to be amazing, and even in PVP the "Get gud scrub" stuff is just trolling. You must have never played COD or any other shooter type game, where you will learn insults that would make a sailor blush.

>

> This game is so NON-toxic its child friendly.

>

> I have basically had the opposite experiance of the OP.

>

> There ya go. Data Point.

Naaah...FPS players are just more aggressive in general, it's the genre. In gw2, that same snottiness, condescension and hotshot attitude is still there. As the person succeeding you has said, 'just give it some time'. You see more of the shenanigans in ranked pvp. It's not in-your-face like FPS games are, it's just in a different form.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving between other games and this one during quarantine, I can definitely say that GW2's PvE chatbox still remains one of the cleanest/nicest out there.

That being said, I _did_ have one unusual experience. I was carrying two other moderately progressed characters (200ish master, 6K achieves) through story mode Sorrow's Embrace. I had high ping, said so, and didn't say much (because it would probably show up at the wrong time and be confusing) and instead carried them uncritically through fights and mechanics. They didn't say much either. I run out of time carrying their deadweight just before pulling final boss, so I stop to explain the fight before leaving, and get a lot of "oh kitten you" and a kick. Oddly offended and ungrateful duo, never seen it like that before.

It remains to be seen if I'll see more oddities, but for now most things seem normal.

EDIT: LOL the auto-censor wasn't working, so I censored myself.

• 1 month later...

Im experiencing this and come here to rant.

The gw2 community is really egotistical since the game doesnt require cooperation. The no holy trinity means you arent needed, you are useless.

These days going into core dungeons Ive seen this awful aspect of people:

If you die in the path from boss A to boss B, nobody gives a sht, they dont even care. But the worse thing is they start the boss fight without you, because you are not needed. Destroying the trinity was a big mistake, because nobody has value and this affects self esteem.

Another day I went to AC and i didnt remember the path to the final boss. Also the dungeon is dark and i couldnt see anything. Well nobody gave me any instruction to help me find the path, they started the fight without me....

this is the kind of sub-human beings you can find in gw2 community

And in WvW is the same, When I'm in a big fight conquering a fortess for example and if I die, or somebody dies you have only 25% of possibilities of being resucitated. People priorize attacking the tower boss and leting people die.

> @"frareanselm.1925" said:

> Im experiencing this and come here to rant.

> The gw2 community is really egotistical since the game doesnt require cooperation.

Incidentally, the toxicity is the highest in the parts of the game that _do_ require cooperation. And get higher the higher that cooperation requirement is.

So, perhaps your assumptions are not exactly spo-on.

> @"RandomWolf.3986" said:

> > @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > I see more RPers now in PVE compared to January/February. WVW t/mchat is as stupid as always.

>

> The roleplaying community has been on a steady decline since 2016 to the point it completely died out on the EU. On NA, however, it's pretty dry and boring... but it's just as moronic as it was years ago. It's a really sour sub-community in general known for its ridiculous drama. They don't really affect me, though.

>

> I'm talking about the general feel of the game. PvE, sPvP, WvW and so on.

>

> > @"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:

> > "Mainly PVP"

> >

> > You answered yourself there.

>

> But why is this bad? I don't remember it being THIS bad. And I'm not just talking about PvP. It has bled out to PvE, too. The waiting time on the LFG over at NA is a lot longer than on EU and it sucks when people go as far as act like buttholes for no reason or troll the LFG search after waiting it out for almost an hour.

>

> > @"Black Wolf.7348" said:

> > it certainly dont help that anet force everyone who want legendary amulet to get 120 ranked wins and 20 tournament match wins when they simply hate the game mode like me. forced to play ( aka grind) through the insane amount of wins when wvw is easy as f.

>

> What? That's bloody ridiculous.

I dont get players choosing gw2 for rpl. It's literally thee most shallow game to rlp in, eso or ff14 and many others offer a way more deep rpl experience. I was surprised to hear this game even had rplr's.

To op I think the community is a mixed bag and there will always be bad apples in mmo's or and shared gaming experience but regarding gw2 there are a ton of happy players but for every one of them there a few players that have been jaded over the years over the devs handling of the game and its development which starts to spill over into toxic behaviors within the game. Yeah these players should take s break or move on but some find it hard due to years of investment. New players probably see the game in a healthy state as well as some vets but a lot of long time players feel as if it's being run into the dirt. Maybe the new expac will improve things for a short while at least.

I don't engage in the competitive modes or in raiding, so I cannot speak to those venues. I do spend a lot of time in core Tyria and what I've seen over the last month or so is an uptick of immaturity. The language, personal attacks and general foulness is... disheartening, especially when new players arrive and have to "hear" such tripe in map chat.

I tend to blame this on the pandemic and people having way too much time on their hands.

One knows from himself. If you remember how you treated us, that you can say friends, back in a simple dungeon run when there was nothing wrong while you spam your staff 5 key and rage around like a kitten person. You shall not be questioning weird behavior at first place. Because you were the one.

I just had rotator cuff surgery so I haven't been able to play for a while. (I just got to the point where I can type again.)

If things are getting bad and it affects your enjoyment, I really feel for you. I use GW2 as respite from reality.

When I was playing, I didn't feel any added bad feelings toward me or anyone else (more than normal).

I only go into WvW and Fractals when I'm crafting and am forced to. Other than those places, I don't pay much attention to the overall chat.