Renegade vs Herald in solo play

Aigleborgne.2981

I would always prefer herald. If i would choose my favorite reason ,then swiftness. Permanent and passive.

But there are multiple reasons for why i would choose herald over renegade. Damage reduction, Movementspeed (stacks with swiftness), superspeed, permanent boons (like Protection,Swiftness,Regeneration,Fury and 25might)

But i have to say, i play with Herald/Jalis most of the time, because Jalis' dmg-reduction, heals, stun and stability(as herald) are overkill in pve. Its also not that far off shiros damage.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyZlpQHMLyhdRNMM6hJSfsCKgp/ld7F-zRIYR09XGtlCVUB2OA-e (im having a hammer in inventory as backup)

I always went with that (or similar due to last balancing) and i never had any struggles while story.

If im doing something hard on my own, i would still go with that. I like to call it an "one man army".

but i think switching jalis with shiro (or some traits for personal preferences) wouldnt make much of a difference in story.

> @"Virdo.1540" said:

> But i have to say, i play with Herald/Jalis most of the time, because Jalis' dmg-reduction, heals, stun and stability(as herald) are overkill in pve. Its also not that far off shiros damage.

>

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyZlpQHMLyhdRNMM6hJSfsCKgp/ld7F-zRIYR09XGtlCVUB2OA-e (im having a hammer in inventory as backup)

> I always went with that (or similar due to last balancing) and i never had any struggles while story.

> If im doing something hard on my own, i would still go with that. I like to call it an "one man army".

>

> but i think switching jalis with shiro (or some traits for personal preferences) wouldnt make much of a difference in story.

Yeah, Jalis is solid, just I don't like him much. My revenant is a charr, and Shiro fits more my character.

Even in combat, I love to engage with Phase Traversal. With proper trait, it's usually a one-shot. Riposting Shadows is a perfect skill when fighting a champion, I usually keep my energy to spam it. It also generates 5 might with trait. And finally, I also like Jade Winds for break bars, or even to calm down things when low on health (or if I know that my foes will cc me).

Last but not least, I love some trait skills like Call of the Assassin.

So even through Jalis has its value, I will not choose him, just in some situations I need stability or taunt.

Both are great just depends slightly on play style and what you enjoy more. Good thing is both can be played with power so you can use the same set and just swap based on what you enjoy.

Wooden Potatoes has a great Renegade open world build on YT posted in Sept 2019. A few traits changed in devastation and invocation but give it a look. Very easy build and enjoyable to play.

Meta battle also has a herald and renegade build for open world worth checking out.

> @"ZeroSkitzo.5403" said:

> Both are great just depends slightly on play style and what you enjoy more. Good thing is both can be played with power so you can use the same set and just swap based on what you enjoy.

>

> Wooden Potatoes has a great Renegade open world build on YT posted in Sept 2019. A few traits changed in devastation and invocation but give it a look. Very easy build and enjoyable to play.

>

> Meta battle also has a herald and renegade build for open world worth checking out.

I have seen WD renegade video. But I am using dual sword, not sure it would be as easy as short bow.

> @"Aigleborgne.2981" said:

> > @"ZeroSkitzo.5403" said:

> > Both are great just depends slightly on play style and what you enjoy more. Good thing is both can be played with power so you can use the same set and just swap based on what you enjoy.

> >

> > Wooden Potatoes has a great Renegade open world build on YT posted in Sept 2019. A few traits changed in devastation and invocation but give it a look. Very easy build and enjoyable to play.

> >

> > Meta battle also has a herald and renegade build for open world worth checking out.

>

> I have seen WD renegade video. But I am using dual sword, not sure it would be as easy as short bow.

You can use dual sword. I actually have that equipped over staff since staff clunky and boring imo. Meta battle renegade build also doesn’t use bow on renegade open world

I prefer renegade over herald in pve. Herald just isnt suited for pve at all. Renegade offers aoe cc, insane lifesteal and burst. The f2 is also permanent 15 might. Icerazor + dance of death offers so much lifesteal that you become unkillable. And then there is darkrazor + kalla hitting multiple opponents, together with dod and icerazor this heals for like 6k a second while also doing damage.

Trailblazer condi herald to solo some champs with that damage reduction is probably the only reason to go herald, but even then im not sure if lifesteal renegade would be better.

Both work great IMO. I try to maximize synergy with Dance of Death for power builds now. Naturally Renegade is a great fit for this, but Herald does great too with Gaze of Darkness, and if you opt for Song of the Mists (when swapping to Shiro). Rev is very flexible with open world content. Renegade is probably a bit better, but they both have their advantages. I find the spirits off-putting so tend to prefer Herald.

I've been playing Renegade/Invication/Corruption w/Mallyx and Jalis to see if I'd like to run it in WvW. I've found it to be almost indestructible. There is the Champ Spider in Sparkfly fen with the Rich plat node, I've never been able to solo him once he starts pooping out spiders, until I tried w/ this build. I'm sure other specs and power can solo it but for me it's been the easiest. I did die once but all my condis on the smaller spiders popped me up with a rally. Of course running TB armor helps with survivability.

I like Herald as well, applying support to other players and running sw/sw is fun to play most of the time. But I've come to really like the build once I got use to not just bursting mobs down. I'm sure for PvE purely theres a much better build but I like getting a feel for what I'll run in WvW first in PvE.

I was finishing up my legendary armor on my Rev just as the big nerf patch hit, and I was excited to try out Condi Renegade for OW stuff, as I had found Power Rev to be very squishy. Then I tried your typical Power Rev build and saw how Battle Scars boosted your self-sustain in a big way. When doing bounties/champs I used to just stay at range and camp Hammer, but now I can stay in melee and self-healing from auto-attacks alone is substantial.

As Power is generally better for OW use because of faster kill times, and with the added self-sustain from scars, I'd say Power Rev hands down. Sw/Sw + Staff, with a Hammer in your bag if you need range.

Crazy though it may sound, you can also run Power Herald with Glint + Mallyx. Call to Anguish is great for pulling in mobs and Facet of Nature - Demon gives you an on demand condi-cleanse. Mallyx's heal is also really powerful if you've been condibombed.

I agree with @"Virdo.1540" though: while Shiro is undoubtedly higher for DPS, Jalis gives you a condi cleanse, access to stability and hammers is a decent add to your DPS, all of which make more sense for OW use. You lose the CC from Shiro's winds, but Jalis' Forced Engagement isn't too bad.

Renegade is also very good though, and the warband summons offer a lot of great things, but I'm so used to to perma-swiftness from Glint that it just feels slow..probably why I didn't enjoy Condi Rev much lol. But you can play Renegade as Power or Condi - for OW both work fine.