Reliving experience as a newbie impossible now?

So, I made a second account because I got a wild hair to relive how things felt when I was new and had nothing. Running around on foot, no auto-loot, working for everything with a new perspective.

I hit buying the expansions due to the sale, and to have full content at my disposal, but had no intention of doing anything in HoT or PoF out of order. I planned on doing the LW season 2 content first, when I was ready. But I get to 80, and see my Tyria masteries are locked until I do HoT or PoF content.. huh? Really? Why? This makes me really sad, because now I have to jump ahead before doing more map explorations, because I really really want to get my auto-loot back.

I guess I just don't understand why they did it this way, and locked anyone out who would like to do content in order without getting gimped by not having mastery access we all had at launch.

When did this start? Is there a good reason?

Masteries weren't introduced until Heart of Thorns, so they linked the "unlocking" of all Masteries to the first Personal Story Mission in each of those expansions. Even though Central Tyria Masteries are for the core of the game, the Mastery system itself requires having the expansion which makes sense since it's not part of the free-to-play/base accounts.

You could always complete map exploration without the auto-loot for the real "new player" experience and once you reach HoT then you can get back the stuff you enjoyed as a veteran?

Personally, I hate not having auto-loot, especially when I forget to get it when making a new WvW character. I need my crutches

This started when the mastery system was introduced (when HoT was released), and the reason is because masteries were introduced as part of HoT and even the core game ones are only available to people who own at least one expansion.

It's probably not the best way to do it, especially now when a lot of people are probably in the same situation, buying the expansions before they've reached that point in the story. I know there's been a lot of requests to at least get rid of the nagging notification about activating masteries. But for whatever reason Anet have kept it that you have to start an expansion storyline to unlock the mastery system.

(Although technically if you want to relieve the experience of doing Season 2 as it was when it was first released you shouldn't be using masteries, but I know the notification can be annoying.)

I'm terribly sorry then... My memory is embarasing. I could of sworn I was working toward them before HoT. I won't complain then, and just keep plugging along as I had planned. Was sort of looking forward to working on them, but I'll resign myself to the suffering doing without for a month or two.

False alarm vent! lol

> @"Zionka.6897" said:

> I'm terribly sorry then... My memory is embarasing. I could of sworn I was working toward them before HoT. I won't complain then, and just keep plugging along as I had planned. Was sort of looking forward to working on them, but I'll resign myself to the suffering doing without for a month or two.

>

> False alarm vent! lol

I wouldn't be sorry, all of our memories are terribly flawed. There are a lot of interesting articles out there on the subject. I recall watching an interesting documentary about some people in (midwest town?) who collectively have this experience where they were watching Twister at a drive-in theater when a tornado came through. Only problem was, it never happened. (And I bet I'm remembering the documentary wrong!) I think the 'rose-colored glasses' phrase, which I think was meant more of a slight to people wanting to remember things a certain way on purpose, really is more a bi-product of our terrible, human memories. :)

> @"Lexi.1398" said:

> There are options to AoE loot on interact which could be what you rememeber? It's similar to autoloot, since you only need to press f once usually.

yes, I've been doing that, and it's not *awful* really, but my minions like to kill things when I kite away, so I sigh and run back to the corpse, because, of course it MIGHT be a key! ha! Hey, it could happen.....